Transgender issue in Idaho. I'm conflicted...

carlimac

http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/South-Junior-High-transgender-296830301.html

I know how I feel about the parents who pulled their kid. Over reactive! I don't think there is anything to fear from this particular kid. But I'm uncomfortable with where this might lead in other cases. I can imagine some genuine pervert taking advantage of this bathroom policy- more likely in a high school or college campus or even a public restroom.  

I know unisex bathrooms are common in Europe but then a lot of things are common in Europe that make my skin crawl.

I do feel compassion for any child with this kind of psychological problem to face. It's got to be horrible. I'd want to protect the transgender child just as much as any other.  but how do we protect ALL kids in a scenario like this?

Is it right for parents to make a stand on this issue and pull their child out of the school- on principle? Or do we sit back and let things progress while we all hug and sing kumbaya?

The reviews and comments on another site reporting this were absolutely scathing and insulting towards the parents of the child who got pulled out of school.  There seemed to be overwhelming support in favor of the transgender child. 

I want to be an ostritch right about now. Nice warm sand!

This is one of those fun places where extreme gay/transgender rights and extreme feminism clash.  One the one hand, you've got the former group saying that their constituents have an absolute right to use the girls' bathroom.  On the other hand, the latter group is saying "I don't care what she calls herself now--she WAS a man, and all men are rapists!!!!!"  For us conservatives, it's a nice time to sit back and watch the fireworks.

In a more constructive vein:  Even LDS Churches have "unisex" bathrooms--they're just designed for use by one person at a time.  I think that's ultimately the direction that public schools, and places of public accommodation generally, are going to have to take. 

In a more constructive vein:  Even LDS Churches have "unisex" bathrooms--they're just designed for use by one person at a time.  I think that's ultimately the direction that public schools, and places of public accommodation generally, are going to have to take. 

Which is how it should have been for the last hundred years. From the French pissoirs to my own junior high and high school (and BYU) experiences in the men's locker room, intrinsic modesty has not been valued or promoted. It's about time.

This is one of those fun places where extreme gay/transgender rights and extreme feminism clash.  One the one hand, you've got the former group saying that their constituents have an absolute right to use the girls' bathroom.  On the other hand, the latter group is saying "I don't care what she calls herself now--she WAS a man, and all men are rapists!!!!!"  For us conservatives, it's a nice time to sit back and watch the fireworks.

This was my first thought, too. But the vehement argument to this solution that came up was Idaho is barely scraping by with the school  budget they have and where is the money going to come from to build more bathrooms in all the schools.   This child was using the nurses bathroom until his/her parents fought to let him/her use whichever bathroom he/she wanted to use. The school administrators eventually gave consent.  I think the meltdown came when another girl came home and told her parents about this child in the girls bathroom. Parents of the student body hadn't been notified of this arrangement.  Fireworks is right! I don't know about the rest of the parents. I'm sure the yays and nays are split down the middle somewhere- depending what part of town the school is in. I don't know. Not my kids' school. 

I also feel about the same as you, carlimac.

Part of me says, trust the kid to not be a pervert and teach the other kids some basic self-defense principles. But in a public school setting the school does have the duty of protecting the kids.

I'm not sure who's right.

I'm not sure who's right.

This is why some delineation of gender roles is actually sometimes just maybe a good thing. When the boundaries disappear, the ability to tell the difference between on thing or another; how do you define things? Context disappears. (Trending towards brave new world?)

I believe that the policies of public schools should be determined by the community in which the school resides.  If a community wants transgender stuff going on at their schools then that is the standard for that school.  I believe that there can be extreme cases but other than that let the communities openly determine the policies of their schools.  And if someone does not like public schools because they are the minority – they can home school or whatever. 

What I do not think should happen is that someone in Boston making decisions and forcing it by law in schools in Utah or California.   Let communities be communities.

What I do not think should happen is that someone in Boston making decisions and forcing it by law in schools in Utah or California.   Let communities be communities.

This is probably one of the best ways for people to get along. Let communities govern themselves, if you don't get along find a community that suits you. Still a couple problems with that though.

http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/South-Junior-High-transgender-296830301.html

I know how I feel about the parents who pulled their kid. Over reactive! I don't think there is anything to fear from this particular kid. But I'm uncomfortable with where this might lead in other cases. I can imagine some genuine pervert taking advantage of this bathroom policy- more likely in a high school or college campus or even a public restroom.  

I know unisex bathrooms are common in Europe but then a lot of things are common in Europe that make my skin crawl.

I do feel compassion for any child with this kind of psychological problem to face. It's got to be horrible. I'd want to protect the transgender child just as much as any other.  but how do we protect ALL kids in a scenario like this?

Is it right for parents to make a stand on this issue and pull their child out of the school- on principle? Or do we sit back and let things progress while we all hug and sing kumbaya?

The reviews and comments on another site reporting this were absolutely scathing and insulting towards the parents of the child who got pulled out of school.  There seemed to be overwhelming support in favor of the transgender child. 

I want to be an ostritch right about now. Nice warm sand!

parents did the right thing. they stuck to their morals.

for bathrooms a girl visiting a guys bathroom probably wouldn't be all that bad to be honest (not including bathrooms that have changing areas or showers). i'd imagine the reverse might not follow (but i would have no idea about that).

If a kid gerw up and started to honestly believing he was a bird, would you let him jump off the roof of the house?