Moving to a new ward....

Guest MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

Thanks in advance. 

My wife and I are moving and this is the first time we are leaving a ward and joining a new one. Do we just start going to the new one, introduce ourselves and join? Do we contact our old bishop and ask him to tell the new bishop that we are moving? Totally clueless about this, only been a member for three years in August. 

I personally would just show up, maybe go shake the bishop's hand and introduce myself before or after the sacrament meeting. But I know many people who proactively contact their new bishop. (I live in a fairly high-turnover ward.) This is especially useful if you want to talk to the EQ pres for moving-in help.

I would just show up, the ward clerk "should" approach you and ask for your information so that your records can be moved, or you can contact your current ward clerk and give him your new address and he will push your records to the new ward. If you do it that way they will know you are coming.

No need to call ahead. Just show up. Prepare a slip of paper with some background on yourself, including callings held. You'll want to provide them your birthdates for them to use when pulling your records. Give it to any member of the bishopric.

Good luck. They'll be lucky to have you.

Yeah, check with either your old ward clerk now or check with your new ward clerk to get your address changed and records moved.

And just check on that status after a month or two. You'd be surprised how long it takes for your records to get moved.  Sometimes it's a clerk's fault for not doing the work and sometimes it just takes that long for the system to get it switched.

And I would recommend not paying tithing/offerings until your new ward has your records.  It's difficult for them to know where to mark your money if they don't have your records.

And I would recommend not paying tithing/offerings until your new ward has your records.  It's difficult for them to know where to mark your money if they don't have your records.

Just clarifying this.... I'm sure beefche didn't mean for you to not pay tithing/offerings. She simply meant to hold on to it until your new records arrive.

Guest MormonGator

Just clarifying this.... I'm sure beefche didn't mean for you to not pay tithing/offerings. She simply meant to hold on to it until your new records arrive.

Anatess, that is a perfect clarification and one I totally missed. Thank you! 

Since it it totally new to you let expand abit on what has been said.

When you move your records need to move with you.  Without the records it become harder for the Bishop to work with you on just about any level.

You have two options on moving your records.  Give your current Ward Clerk your "new address" and ask him to move you out.  The potential gotchas here are the Clerk Failing to do so or the system for what ever reason thinking your "New address" is in a different Ward.  The last can be reduced if you know what Ward you should be in and can tell your  current Clerk that info as well.  The final gotchas is your records show up and you are a name on a piece of paper.  The new ward is going to need help matching names to faces

The second option is to have your new ward "request" your records.  To do this they need your "Full Name", Birth date and new address. Most Wards will have some kind of custom "New Member sheet" that will ask for that data and any other data they might find useful (Like prior calling, Jobs etc.) The advantage here is because you have to interact with the Leadership to get your records moved in, they get to know you faster then they might otherwise.  The downside is if for some reason any of your data gets messed up (typos-misreads etc) then your records will be delayed and you are supplying much more data then in option 1.

As what you should do... well that depends a lot on you.  Recordwise I prefer to exercise both options, but nowadays if you have an LDS.org account login you can tell where your records are quite easily, so you can tell if option 1 worked or if option 2 is necessary.

The rest depend on how quickly you want to integrate into the ward and the Ward itself 

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

If you try to pay tithing before your records are moved, then you are required to pay 15%. And Guido will show up to collect the payment....

If you try to pay tithing before your records are moved, then you are required to pay 15%. And Guido will show up to collect the payment....

I expect this to show up on fmh by this evening and for John Dehlin to pick it up on his next podcast.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

Actually nobody hardly ever mentions the simple fact that, hey, if you don't want to pay 1 / 10th of your income you can actually opt to pay 1 / 5th instead.  Most bishops are ok with this and would still consider you a full tithe payer.  ;)

Actually nobody hardly ever mentions the simple fact that, hey, if you don't want to pay 1 / 10th of your income you can actually opt to pay 1 / 5th instead.  Most bishops are ok with this and would still consider you a full tithe payer.   ;)

And that's because bishops leave it up to you to decide if you are full tithe payer or not. They don't require tax returns to determine if the money showing up on the records of the church is 1% or 10%.

And that's because bishops leave it up to you to decide if you are full tithe payer or not. They don't require tax returns to determine if the money showing up on the records of the church is 1% or 10%.

.... I think you're missing the point on this one... 

If I went in and tearfully confessed to my bishop that I had opted to only pay 1/ 5th of my income as tithing instead of the more-typical 1/ 10th of my income, my bishop, who is an accountant by trade, would probably say something like,  "That's ok, Brother Squidster.  Your offering is acceptable to the Lord.  ... But you might want to consider taking a remedial math course ..."  

:D

Edited by theSQUIDSTER

I have only changed wards/stakes once since joining the church.

I gave my new address to my current ward before I moved.  On moving day I received a call from the membership clerk at the new saying he heard I was moving into the ward that day and did I need any help?  I did.  Shortly after the U-Haul pulled into the driveway, guys from the new ward started showing up to help.  Someone from the Relief Society dropped by later to welcome me and see if there was anything I needed.

It was awesome.

We moved to a different Stake but only 25 miles away from our old ward... We didn't do anything. Just showed up to the new ward. The bishop approached us and asked questions, my husband got called to teach GD the next Sunday and I got called to the Primary Presidency after that. Dunno what went on with our records - who asked who for it... We only stayed in the ward 7 months and it felt like we've been there for decades when we left.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Hope your move goes smoothly and you feel welcome in your new ward.  I assume you will.  I've moved countless times though out my life and I only remember one ward (out of dozens) that was an awkward experience.  The leaders of that ward were aware of the issues, and working hard to try and fix it.  :)