I am SO out of ideas for Father's Day

Bini

My husband is a simple man and doesn't need much, in fact, he never asks for anything ever. So it's really hard to find something nice to give him on birthdays and other special occasions. Typically, we settle on doing a nice dinner (whether we go out or I make something for him at home) and that's it. He's always happy to do that but I'm wanting to do something else, too. My daughter has been working on a drawing, carefully colouring it etc., and will give that to him on Father's Day but other than a card, I just don't know what else I could do on top of that. My friends are giving their spouse's gift baskets and giftcards to hardware/sporting stores but he's not into the pampering stuff and his time is so limited that he doesn't get much time for hobbies (working on stuff or doing outdoorsy things). I'm totally stumped! This'll be his fourth Father's Day (and we're expecting another, too) so I'm kinda sorta wanting to do a little something different this go around.

Guest MormonGator

My wife buys me concert tickets and says "Go out and mosh with the boys, I'll leave you alone for the night." Is he a music fan? 

just some thoughts. 

My wife buys me concert tickets and says "Go out and mosh with the boys, I'll leave you alone for the night." Is he a music fan? 

just some thoughts. 

He does but I don't know if they're still around lol They're mostly 80's bands, some I've never heard of.

It's a little late to do this...but, may be useful for other gift giving days.

When my husband and I are walking through ANY store, I watch those things that he looks at. But, you have to watch if he looks and leave it Or does he look and pick it up only for a second... or does he keep looking and picking it up and go back to it.

For the past month I watched my husband and every time we went anywhere that had BBQ grills, he went and looked at them. He stayed looking for a long time, opening, closing, and checking them out telling me how nice they are.

So... for Father's Day I bought him a 6 Grill BBQ grill. It's the one he looked at each time even though there were at least 10 other grills there. I knew that one was the one he would want.

I do the same thing with my grand children for birthday's and Christmas. Take them shopping and just watch. If they pick up a toy and put it down right away... I know they will lose interest pretty quickly, so I don't buy that toy. I buy the toy that holds their interest for a good period of time.

Hope that make sense.

That makes a lot of sense dear woman.  I would be happy to be married to someone like you.

However, that might not work with me.  Sometimes I will spend the most time looking at something like that and thinking how do they make that, not that I want it, or, how do they get away with making that and selling it and actually getting people to buy that.

That I don't want the thing at all.

I always like it when no one gets me anything.  That way I don't have to sit there thinking "why on earth did they get me that?"

We think differently.

dc

His and hers diary from the same day:

http://imgur.com/gallery/6icZ3

My daughter has been working on a drawing, carefully colouring it etc., and will give that to him on Father's Day

Your daughter will out shine you on fathers day, sorry, cant beat that. Those type of things melt me.

The best you can do to come close to your daughter is to put as much heart into it. My wife always cooks a full course dinner. Regardless of what she makes or how it tastes (its always yumm) the thought of her putting full mind, body and heart into it really makes me feel special.

other thoughtful things you can do...

- clean the yard then buy food and let him grill

- clean the house then cook a meal followed with desert

- wash his truck then take him/family to a restaurant

- do a canvas painting of a family portrait, this hangs on the wall forever to remind him how much you cherish the family. My wife did some paintings a few years ago and although it looks like an elementary kid painted it, it has sentimental value and I look at it everyday.

If he is a workaholic like me then he's not that materialistic and appreciates the thoughtful gifts.

Here is an example of just how special the thoughtful gifts are.

Last week we did family home evening and my daughter asked everyone to get your favorite item to do a show and tell. Of all the things my wife owns...(fashion bags, jewelrys, shoes, clothes etc..) she picked an ugly old slightly deformed sea shell that I had picked for her 30 feet deep in the ocean while scuba diving 10 years ago, she said its her favorite thing in her bedroom.

---------------------------

If he has a group of friends that he hangs with every so often or favorite hobbies then monetary gifts are good because he gets to put it to use and/or show it off. My buddy that I go scuba diving with opened up a brand new gopro camera one day when we were going diving. He said his wife got it for him on his birthday, he was super excited to use it. 

Edited by priesthoodpower

A peeve of mine is people hating gifts. It's a gift. The gift (object) is not the point. The action is. Hating the object is a completely selfish act that disregards someone else's efforts at charity.

But then, that's just me.

A peeve of mine is people hating gifts. It's a gift. The gift (object) is not the point. The action is. Hating the object is a completely selfish act that disregards someone else's efforts at charity.

But then, that's just me.

Well he didn't exactly say he would hate any gifts that he did in fact receive. Just that he would prefer not getting any.  If his spouse or children know that, then doing something nice for him would be more appropriate.  I get that.  I'd much rather my children took me out to do something I really enjoy doing than getting me any gift.

Well he didn't exactly say he would hate any gifts that he did in fact receive. Just that he would prefer not getting any.  If his spouse or children know that, then doing something nice for him would be more appropriate.  I get that.  I'd much rather my children took me out to do something I really enjoy doing than getting me any gift.

He said he HATE - all caps - gifts on Father's Day.

See, this is the thing. Yes, I prefer X instead of Y. But this is a gift. Somebody went out of their way to do something for me. At that point, getting Y is just as awesome as getting an X. If I really wanted an X, I'll treasure the Y and get X myself.

Anyway, just so this won't be too much of a thread hijack... Bini, I just checked out an order at Fanatics.com for my NFL obsessed husband. Yes, he has a jillion sports things already but this is one of those things that never get old... and this one should be a fun one - my son asked him to get him a bucket hat for his graduation concert. My husband was like, a bucket hat for a piano concert? Bucket hats are for fishing... it doesn't go with a suit. And my son is like, I'm making the bucket hat a fashion statement. So my husband got him a bucket hat. And so then my son found this NFL bucket hat that matches my husband's jersey and begged me to get it for him. LOL! I can't wait to see his expression when he gets it... Yes, he's gonna go, a bucket hat is for fishing! But, I am 100% sure he's gonna wear that bucket hat with his jersey on game day and get a kick out it!

My husband is a simple man and doesn't need much, in fact, he never asks for anything ever. So it's really hard to find something nice to give him on birthdays and other special occasions. Typically, we settle on doing a nice dinner (whether we go out or I make something for him at home) and that's it. He's always happy to do that but I'm wanting to do something else, too. My daughter has been working on a drawing, carefully colouring it etc., and will give that to him on Father's Day but other than a card, I just don't know what else I could do on top of that. My friends are giving their spouse's gift baskets and giftcards to hardware/sporting stores but he's not into the pampering stuff and his time is so limited that he doesn't get much time for hobbies (working on stuff or doing outdoorsy things). I'm totally stumped! This'll be his fourth Father's Day (and we're expecting another, too) so I'm kinda sorta wanting to do a little something different this go around.

for a man who has no time, free time itself is a gift.

the last gift I got that I liked was a Ruger .45 - I bought it for myself, so that may not count - and certainly won't help if he's a not a gun guy. :)

Maybe not for this Sunday, but ask him to give you a list of things he's interested in or would someday like - so you have a list of ideas for Christmas, birthdays, Father's Day, or just as a surprise.

But, if he likes movies, plays, symphony, sports, bands, etc., you can buy tickets to take him. You can also just take him to the water park, a museum, etc.

Thank you for all the responses! Some good suggestions made. By "ideas" I'm open to tangible gifts and non-tangible gifts, like an activity, so it's definitely not limited to one or the other. Anyway, he's talked about cheesecake and the only time he gets that is when we pass by Cheesecake Factory, so while it's kind of a small thing, I'm thinking I'll make an effort to grab some sort of cheesecake for him to eat. Otherwise, still stumped but know whatever our daughter presents to him, will be his highlight of the day :)

My husband is a simple man and doesn't need much, in fact, he never asks for anything ever. So it's really hard to find something nice to give him on birthdays and other special occasions. Typically, we settle on doing a nice dinner (whether we go out or I make something for him at home) and that's it. He's always happy to do that but I'm wanting to do something else, too. My daughter has been working on a drawing, carefully colouring it etc., and will give that to him on Father's Day but other than a card, I just don't know what else I could do on top of that. My friends are giving their spouse's gift baskets and giftcards to hardware/sporting stores but he's not into the pampering stuff and his time is so limited that he doesn't get much time for hobbies (working on stuff or doing outdoorsy things). I'm totally stumped! This'll be his fourth Father's Day (and we're expecting another, too) so I'm kinda sorta wanting to do a little something different this go around.

Best Father's Day present I ever got was...

Eagles Greatest Hits CD

Neil Diamond Greatest Hits CD

BoM on CD's

I used to have a very long drive and around City of Atlanta while policing. Just little thing you know your husband loves, but would never buy for himself.

Thank you for all the responses! Some good suggestions made. By "ideas" I'm open to tangible gifts and non-tangible gifts, like an activity, so it's definitely not limited to one or the other. Anyway, he's talked about cheesecake and the only time he gets that is when we pass by Cheesecake Factory, so while it's kind of a small thing, I'm thinking I'll make an effort to grab some sort of cheesecake for him to eat. Otherwise, still stumped but know whatever our daughter presents to him, will be his highlight of the day :)

umm...since your gonna be picking up cheese cake anyways, I like cheese cake too! :D

President Hinckley taught from an essay from Ralph Waldo Emerson:

http://grammar.about.com/od/classicessays/a/emersongifts.htm

In a conference talk, he boiled it down to this - "Presents are not gifts but apologies for gifts not given".

It on on that principle that I chose what I select as "presents". 

Surely everybody always likes chocolates on any and every occasion? And an occasion like Father's Day or Mother's Day requires a higher order of chocolates than ordinary everyday chocolates.

I guess I'm not everybody.  If I never had chocolate again for the rest of my life I'd be okay with that.