Favorite (nonLDS) Music

cdowis

Final fantasy has some really good pieces :D.

I'm not a huge Final Fantasy fan -- not really a fan at all. But in the late '90s, when working as a software developer in test, I happened across some FMV movies from FF 8 that caught my eye, so I tracked down what game it was from and ended up buying it and playing it. Honestly, it was kind of a boring game (though the card game was fun), but I thought the storyline had a great deal of potential. And I was greatly impressed by the soundtrack, so much so that I bought it on CD.

I love Classical Gas! (especially the

of it XD). Final fantasy has some really good pieces :D.

Wow, This was in the original Riverdance with the Flamingo dancer and castanets.  

Just wonderful.

A later version

https://youtu.be/eEFdG62KyNM?t=24m54s

Is anyone able to find the original?  It was a duet.

Edited by cdowis

I'm not a huge Final Fantasy fan -- not really a fan at all. But in the late '90s, when working as a software developer in test, I happened across some FMV movies from FF 8 that caught my eye, so I tracked down what game it was from and ended up buying it and playing it. Honestly, it was kind of a boring game (though the card game was fun), but I thought the storyline had a great deal of potential. And I was greatly impressed by the soundtrack, so much so that I bought it on CD.

Cool!. I probably have about a total 30 minutes worth of play time across all the final fantasy series... but i've got a couple bros who play them and I love a lot of the music (and where I got the soundtracks from lol). Another game i've yet to play but have found some gems music wise have been ace combat 5 and 6. The "Unsung Hero" (i think that's what the piece is called) is really nice and "the Journey Begins" is a real pretty piece.

Wow, This was in the original Riverdance with the Flamingo dancer and castanets.  

Just wonderful.

A later version

https://youtu.be/eEFdG62KyNM?t=24m54s

Is anyone able to find the original?  It was a duet.

dang haven't heard that in a loong time, loved it :)

and no idea where you could find an original. sorry.

--------------------------------------------------------

just heard this artist named Luca Stricagnoli, very talented guy with the guitar and misc other instruments (usually does two or three instruments at the same time)... and i gotta say i love his stuff.

Reporting back from the Highland Festival. Albannach is every bit as good as my siblings told me it was. As one of their songs says:

"Now you may live a different place,

Brought up and lived a different way,
But if you have our blood in your veins,
Then you will know us, know home, know who you are."

If you've got any Scottish blood in you, please do check out their music. Better yet, see them live. Holy moly... those drums.

Cast In Bronze.

The focus of the act is a carillon, a medieval instrument consisting of bells operated in a fashion comparable to a piano. Frank Dellapenna, the man behind the act, composes music that uses his carillon (one of only two mobile carillons in America) and a variety of instruments. 

He's a regular performer at various Renaissance festivals, and so if you get the chance you should go hear him play live. 

Eclectic music.

Like this one.  Remix of a Frank Sinatra classic.  But in this case, a song out of the past, heard in the future of an alternate-timeline world, after the war that turns the world into a wasteland.  Like Fallout:New Vegas, but with ponies instead of humans.

Now that's meta.

• 2 weeks later...

ok ... you want pathos, catharsis, shattered dreams and old hobos playing a harmonica and a saw with a bass bow... or something like that...
brace yourselves, folks... I'm throwing Tom Waits into the mix...

My wife hates him so I have to listen to him alone when nobody's in the house..   :)

Edited by theSQUIDSTER

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite secular songs is a short instrumental from apoclypitica, a metal band that plays cellos, they started out covering metallica on cellos and picked up enough in popularity that they produced their own work now and have had radio play with guest singers from popular rock and metal bands.

First favorite is path. It uses clean and distored versions of the melody to represent fighting your demons.

https://youtu.be/U_oaPY0Brrw

Second is a song they had Brent Smith of shinedown feature as the singer, he has a powerful voice. It's the same band but the dropped a cellist and picked up a drummer.

https://youtu.be/e5O90uzvUA4

Oh man, after reading all of your guys' music preference, I realize how young I really am. That and how unexperienced I am in these different styles.

I tried listening to Pink Floyd, Metallica, and other 'legendary' bands, and ended up disliking much of their songs.

My favorite bands are, in order:

Hollywood Undead

Twenty One Pilots

BROODS

Starset

And as for church hymns, I actually dislike listening to them outside of church. I guess I better be prepared to be burned at the stake now. :P

Oh man, after reading all of your guys' music preference, I realize how young I really am. That and how unexperienced I am in these different styles.

I tried listening to Pink Floyd, Metallica, and other 'legendary' bands, and ended up disliking much of their songs.

Hollywood Undead

Twenty One Pilots

BROODS

Starset

And as for church hymns, I actually dislike listening to them outside of church. I guess I better be prepared to be burned at the stake now. :P

My friend went and saw Twenty One Pilots here if Florida and said it was a good mix of ages at the show and it didn't make him feel old. I never heard of them but think my kids have. I like the two last bands but not being a fan of mixing rap with other genres don't really like the first two.

One of my favorite secular songs is a short instrumental from apoclypitica, a metal band that plays cellos, they started out covering metallica on cellos and picked up enough in popularity that they produced their own work now and have had radio play with guest singers from popular rock and metal bands.

First favorite is path. It uses clean and distored versions of the melody to represent fighting your demons.

https://youtu.be/U_oaPY0Brrw

Second is a song they had Brent Smith of shinedown feature as the singer, he has a powerful voice. It's the same band but the dropped a cellist and picked up a drummer.

https://youtu.be/e5O90uzvUA4

Love that band. :D

Hollywood Undead

Twenty One Pilots

BROODS

Starset

first 2 I didn't dig too much, really but enjoyed the last two. First time i've heard of these guys or their stuff :)

My kids are CRAZY!!!

Their taste in music is just so all over the place.  Now, I love KPop, JPop, and that kind of stuff.  The main reason I got into them is because their music videos are all clean, so I can watch it with the kids.  American pop music videos are touch and go - I mean, Miley Cyrus, hello...

So then my kids enjoy those Asian pop stuff.  Well, my husband is big on heavy metal and some screamo types.  I like some heavy metal but can't stand screamo.  But my kids like what my husband likes too, interestingly.

So.... my kids found this music video that is a perfect mix of the two - Asian pop and Screamo.  If you can even imagine that.  Well, imagine no more coz here it is folks!  I was just jaw-dropped the first time I heard this, I was like, "what did I just listen to????".  On the second viewing, I started to like it.  Now, I can't stop watching it.  Hah hah hah.

I find this to be a piece of music that generates strong feelings. I think its beautiful. By Tchaikovsky. You might need to be in the right frame of mind - peaceful and contemplative - to get the most enjoyment from it.

Very Nice. 

This is one of my favorite classical pieces by Bedřich Smetana a Czech composer.

You're gonna love Two Steps from Hell.

Here's one of my fave's from their 2nd album:

you should see my thomas bergeson collection (the guy who formed 2 steps from hell) ^.^ ... i've been sharing their facebook posts that have different pieces showcasing upcoming albums ^.^

Have you got Immediate Music?

as for weird stuff I like, there's stuff like this:

Which i find oddly relaxing.

Edited by Blackmarch