Where do you go when you have questions about the temple?

Jane_Doe

As many of you know, after 4 years of prayerfully studying and praying about going to the temple, I am finally going.  And very much looking forward to it!  But I do still have some very deep questions, questions that I have not been able to find answers to on my own.  I was hoping that my temple prep class would be a place to ask questions about preparing to go to the temple...  it is not.  My teacher reads from the manual (which I have read MANY times already) and... suffice it to say that the class is extremely unhelpful.

So my question is, where to go with questions?  I have not been able to find the answers on my own.

Edited by Jane_Doe

My first off the top of the head is the Temple.

You can get answers at the Temple.  For some questions.

But I also have to wonder what your questions are.

You know, God is a mystery.  We do not have the capacity to ever "understand" or "know" all the answers. 

My experience has shown that the best thing I can do in going to the Temple is just go.  And experience.  Rather than try to intellectualize it.

Yesterday at the Temple they didn't know two answers.  To my mundane questions.  What were two large urns for?  I theorized 'decoration'.  They couldn't disagree.

Had they redecorated the Celestial room since the Temple was built in 1954?  They didn't know, but didn't think it had been.

Most of the other questions are answered in the Endowment ceremony.  But it's different for everyone.  Everyone gets something different out of it.

Coming out of the Manti Temple, I was asked "what did you learn?"  I learned how little I know.

dc

It depends on the nature of the question, I suppose.  I guess the general guideline I try to use (and it's not a perfect one) is that if it involves something about the ceremonies themselves that I wouldn't know if I hadn't actually been through the ceremony--it's probably something I'm supposed to work out on my own or with a trusted friend/family member/bishop/temple worker.  Otherwise, though; I think more general temple-related questions are usually fair game for open discussion in boards such as this.

The only caveat to that--and I hope I don't sound like a condescending donkey as I say this--but I think there is a special value to having worked a question out and reaching a satisfactory solution on one's own, versus simply having some other source provide the solution to me.  Engaging that process hones our ability to receive revelation in other areas of our lives.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Guest LiterateParakeet

When I was in the MTC, one of my companions (we had a threesome) had some very deep questions about the temple because during a period of inactivity she had been exposed to an anti Mormon film about the temple.  We asked in the temple whom we could speak to and we were able to sit down with a member of the temple presidency. She asked all of her questions and received satisfactory answers. There was nothing we weren't allowed to discuss.  

Perhaps that is what you need to do Jane. Generally speaking I agree with JAG that there is great value in finding your own answers, but some questions are such that the wrong answer or lack of a satisfactory answer could lead a person right out of the church. Thank goodness there are people to help us with those questions usually, we just have to know where to find them.

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

There was nothing we weren't allowed to discuss.  

That's something really nice about the church. No one has ever said "Hey, don't ask the question." Very refreshing. 

7 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

When I was in the MTC, one of my companions (we had a threesome) had some very deep questions about the temple because during a period of inactivity she had been exposed to an anti Mormon film about the temple.  We asked in the temple whom we could speak to and we were able to sit down with a member of the temple presidency. She asked all of her questions and received satisfactory answers. There was nothing we weren't allowed to discuss.  

Perhaps that is what you need to do Jane. Generally speaking I agree with JAG that there is great value in finding your own answers, but some questions are such that the wrong answer or lack of a satisfactory answer could lead a person right out of the church. Thank goodness there are people to help us with those questions usually, we just have to know where to find them.

I think this is a good idea-- I'll email them on Tuesday, seeing if some one is available in the next few months.  I've tried finding the answers on my own-- and I have found many, but there is still that last few unanswered.  I want to do this right.  

We have Temple Class in Sunday School in our Ward.  They go in 6-week cycles (? - I might be wrong in this, but it is a short cycle).  We also have Family History Class and Marriage Enrichment Class - both also short cycles.  I've attended the Temple Class and it's more of a Temple preparation class for those who are getting ready to attend the Temple for the first time.  But, when I attended the class, all of us have already been to the temple, so some of us asked some deeper questions and the teacher answered them when it was appropriate to do so.  I thought it was an awesome class.

4 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

We have Temple Class in Sunday School in our Ward.  They go in 6-week cycles (? - I might be wrong in this, but it is a short cycle).  We also have Family History Class and Marriage Enrichment Class - both also short cycles.  I've attended the Temple Class and it's more of a Temple preparation class for those who are getting ready to attend the Temple for the first time.  But, when I attended the class, all of us have already been to the temple, so some of us asked some deeper questions and the teacher answered them when it was appropriate to do so.  I thought it was an awesome class.

Our ward does individual temple prep class (aka it's me and two teachers) and honestly... it's SUPER basic and the teacher openly resists me asking questions.  

17 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Our ward does individual temple prep class (aka it's me and two teachers) and honestly... it's SUPER basic and the teacher openly resists me asking questions.  

That's understandable.  Things pertaining to the deeper aspects of Temple Work and Temple Worship needs to be asked at the Temple.

21 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

That's understandable.  Things pertaining to the deeper aspects of Temple Work and Temple Worship needs to be asked at the Temple.

Super basic =  he asked me "Did you know that your spirit existed before you were born on this Earth?"  

1 hour ago, Jane_Doe said:

Super basic =  he asked me "Did you know that your spirit existed before you were born on this Earth?"  

Yep.  That's super basic.  And also a foundation principle of Eternal Families.  I'm sure he talked about more than that.

I like the OP question. I have often wondered this too. How to understand the temple better.

Since there is no obvious, official way to do this in the church, I have assumed you should just keep going to the temple, and keep listening, pondering and praying, and you will understand more as you are ready.

I'm glad to know some people have asked the temple presidency and they have responded freely.

There are of course books, too, which I haven't read much of - Packer's book as mentioned already, and Nibley's Temple and Cosmos.

Most of the things taught in the temple are in the scriptures, especially the Pearl of Great Price and the Doctrine and Covenants, so you could look for commentaries on those verses.

Edited by tesuji

On 6/15/2016 at 8:43 AM, Carborendum said:

I just try to find someone at the Temple to discuss things with.  I've spoken with the temple president more than a few times.  Very insightful.

Hmm. I work at the temple. I have no idea why various pots and urns are scattered around. I am sure that the temple president is very knowledgeable but the rest of us? I suspect I was chosen for this job because I am polite to others! and I speak French...

On 6/12/2016 at 1:40 PM, LiterateParakeet said:

I had a similar experience -- similar in the sense that we missionaries talked with a member of the Provo Temple presidency and were invited to ask any questions we cared to. This would have been probably January 1983. The presidency member (first couselor, I believe) very quickly shut me up, though, and told me in no uncertain terms that my questions were inappropriate and impertinent. So for those who get good results going this route, more power to you, but it's not a surefire thing. (For the record: As far as I can recall, there was nothing inappropriate about my questions. They were straightforward and not mechanics-oriented.)

On 6/16/2016 at 9:00 AM, Sunday21 said:

I have no idea why various pots and urns are scattered around.

To hold the ashes of the various altar sacrifices? Seriously, though, I have no clue what you're referring to.

For the record, I agree that the best place to go for answer to temple questions is the temple, seeking them through personal revelation. And concentrating hard on the issue at hand is probably the wrong way to go about it. Just learn the ceremonies and consider what the different pieces mean in relation to each other. In my experience, the answers to questions about various aspects of the temple endowment ceremony start revealing themselves to your mind after you have become more conversant in the symbols and order used in presenting the ordinances. Honestly, it is not unlikely that the temple presidency member cannot answer your question, having perhaps never even considered it.

Guest LiterateParakeet
On 6/17/2016 at 2:02 PM, Vort said:

I had a similar experience -- similar in the sense that we missionaries talked with a member of the Provo Temple presidency and were invited to ask any questions we cared to. This would have been probably January 1983. The presidency member (first couselor, I believe) very quickly shut me up, though, and told me in no uncertain terms that my questions were inappropriate and impertinent. So for those who get good results going this route, more power to you, but it's not a surefire thing. (For the record: As far as I can recall, there was nothing inappropriate about my questions. They were straightforward and not mechanics-oriented.)

I wonder if it's a personality issue. I mean the counselor misread your intentions but someone else might have understood and answered your questions. I wonder because that happens to my husband sometimes. He is very inquisitive. Some people are put off by it, and others patiently answer his questions.

• 3 weeks later...

I have some ideas to share with all of us. I usually reflect upon the same question. I work in the temple, and I am learning a lot there. 

Once I was talking with a counselor about questions. He told me a story of a man who asked if he, this man, should wait for his sealing to "know" his wife. The President, this counselor is very wise. He said to the man: I don´t know how to answer this for you, I can´t. The man replied: But you don´t know the answer? What the conselour said: Yes, I know, but I can´t tell you, because it is not my responsibility to teach you such things.

What his counselor told me was that the responsibility to teach the doctrine and clerical things comes from our leaders, bishopric or even stake presidency. 

I agree with all the other answers, that some presidents answered questions, because I know they have the Spirit and knows what to share, when to share and what person can receive some answers.

Last Friday the President of our Temple taught us that we should seek, while working, to understand by the Spirit the things we would like to know. He promised that we would receive. I know that some questions I have may take years to be answered, but I hope I can still have the faith to feel the Spirit and be able to receive my answers, because I want to receive them for my own efforts.

I tried to find a quote I heard once that said something like this, that when the Lord give us specific things to do, many times throught our leaders, we are losing opportunities to receive revelation and growth to ourselves.

As I looked for an answer for you and me, Jane, because I feel something related to you, I could find this quote from Elder Boyd K. Packer:

"It is not wise to wrestle with the revelations with such insistence as to demand immediate answers or blessings to your liking. You cannot force spiritual things. Such words as compel, coerce, constrain, pressure, demand, do not describe our privileges with the Spirit. You can no more force the Spirit to respond than you can force a bean to sprout, or an egg to hatch before it’s time. You can create a climate to foster growth, nourish, and protect; but you cannot force or compel: you must await the growth. Do not be impatient to gain great spiritual knowledge. Let it grow, help it grow, but do not force it or you will open the way to be misled."

Maybe some questions can seem easy to respond, but I am learning that, even those questions, we can know for ourselves, but in the time that the Lord allows us to receive.

Edited by brlearning