beefche

The Sacrament--to take or not?

Recommended Posts

No, this isn't about which hand to use when partaking of the sacrament.

Other than official church discipline, why would one choose to not take the sacrament?  

I know the story of Pres. Kimball who didn't take it because his mind wandered during the hymn, but I never felt that the Lord held us to such exactness. The more I think about it, I honestly don't know why we should not partake unless our bishop/stake president told us we can't. 

Our promise in the sacrament is to 1) willing to take His name on us; 2) always remember Him; and 3) keep His commandments.  I know that there are nuances in these promises, but the Lord knows we are mortal and will make mistakes; thus, the Atonement. But, how does NOT taking the sacrament help us (again, I'm not talking about formal actions)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest MormonGator
13 minutes ago, beefche said:

but I never felt that the Lord held us to such exactness. 

I like what you said about President Kimball. My mind wanders all the time and I've never felt guilty about it, either. 

14 minutes ago, beefche said:

Other than official church discipline, why would one choose to not take the sacrament?  

Maybe because they don't feel worthy? Goodness knows I don't feel worthy sometimes to take it. But it's not because my mind wanders. :D

Good question! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beefche said:

but I never felt that the Lord held us to such exactness

The Lord holds each of us to our own, appropriate level of exactness.  What for me would be righteous behavior might well be sin to one who has much greater light and knowledge.

IMO, you don't take the Sacrament when your heart is not in the right place - when you know you're not sincere about those covenants you're renewing, or when you're full of anger (or worse), when you know you need to repent but really don't want to.  Stuff like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
9 hours ago, beefche said:

Other than official church discipline

This is the point.  One who disciplines himself is a more obedient servant than one who is compelled by discipline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, beefche said:

But, how does NOT taking the sacrament help us (again, I'm not talking about formal actions)? 

I think it helps you remember to do better, whether self-imposed discipline (as long s it is done in good faith and not obsessiveness or phariseeism) or part of Church discipline (which is charitable).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, beefche said:

But, how does NOT taking the sacrament help us (again, I'm not talking about formal actions)?

Missed this part.  I agree with @CV75.  It's easy to mindlessly or casually partake of the Sacrament - it becomes such a habit / normal thing.  It is not so easy to mindlessly or casually not partake - it's a very conscious choice and helps to remind us that partaking should also be deliberate.

It also helps to not eat and drink "damnation to [your] soul" (3 Nephi 18:29).

It also causes one to be humble and to fear God more than man (I think "everyone will see and wonder" is part of what makes people partake when they ought not).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, beefche said:

No, this isn't about which hand to use when partaking of the sacrament.

Other than official church discipline, why would one choose to not take the sacrament?  

I know the story of Pres. Kimball who didn't take it because his mind wandered during the hymn, but I never felt that the Lord held us to such exactness. The more I think about it, I honestly don't know why we should not partake unless our bishop/stake president told us we can't. 

Our promise in the sacrament is to 1) willing to take His name on us; 2) always remember Him; and 3) keep His commandments.  I know that there are nuances in these promises, but the Lord knows we are mortal and will make mistakes; thus, the Atonement. But, how does NOT taking the sacrament help us (again, I'm not talking about formal actions)? 

 

It is my understand that each person should determine if they should partake of the sacrament.  I believe one possible reason not to partake is if there is a pending issue (lack of forgiveness) one has for someone - most particular another member.  As I understand we should not partake until the issue is resolved in our heart.  I believe it is better before G-d to indicate in your heart that you will resolve the issue and be better perpared the following Sabbath.

 

The Traveler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the line I draw for myself (I apply it to the sacrament):

Quote

Therefore, if ye shall come unto me, or shall desire to come unto me, and rememberest that thy brother hath aught against thee—Go thy way unto thy brother, and first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come unto me with full purpose of heart, and I will receive you.

You'll note the variation between this and the biblical account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, there

I Will quote Elder Elder John H. Groberg, of the Seventy:

“If we desire to improve (which is to repent) and are not under priesthood restriction, then, in my opinion, we are worthy. If, however, we have no desire to improve, if we have no intention of following the guidance of the Spirit, we must ask: Are we worthy to partake, or are we making a mockery of the very purpose of the sacrament, which is to act as a catalyst for personal repentance and improvement?” (“The Beauty and Importance of the Sacrament,” Ensign, May 1989, 38)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have at times not chosen to partake of the sacrament if my heart is filled with any form of anger. If the wife and I have a disagreement, and I am still angered, I won't partake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

while I agree that we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves, there is a significant amount of pressure to partake of the sacrament, there are times when I partake that I probably wouldn't/shouldn't if it were a more private setting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now