CES rumor

Sunday21

Dear Netters,

interested in a church educational system (CES)  rumor? I met a woman in the temple who works for CES. She told me that the church has plans to establish an educational system for elementary and high school. This would begin as a system to provide materials for Home schoolers. Apparently Kim Clark gave a speech describing the details. I tried to find this talk but could not. 

It's back up now.  I've tried to look up anything on this.  But the ability of the site's search bar is limited.  I've been unable to verify this via that route.

However, I found the following from lds.org.

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/satellite-training-broadcast/2016/06/the-ces-global-education-initiative-the-lords-system-for-education-in-his-church?lang=eng&_r=1

Eventually, initiative opportunities will include religious education as an essential and foundational part of every program we might offer, secondary education ranging from grade 7 through grade 12, English language instruction, Pathway: Academic Start, technical and skills-based training and certificates, undergraduate degrees in selected fields (both associate’s and bachelor’s), and master’s degrees. As we have done in Academic Start, tuition for these programs will be set low enough to make them accessible. We also anticipate working with Self-Reliance Services and PEF to help students gain access to the opportunities they need.

Check the date.  It's a year old.  I don't see this as the return of the Church-run schools we had 150 years ago.  But who knows how this will grow.

Edited by Guest

@JohnsonJones. I don't want to read too much into a brief conversation..and as the mom was herself a homeschooler, she was bursting with hope. Anyway the sister was talking about CES developing an entire curriculum for elementary school but this may be just wishful thinking on her part. The mom was quite upset by some of the topics taught in the regular California school system eg gender fluidity. This is new to me! Apparently every day, you can pick a new gender. No doubt Mom was engaging in wishful thinking. 

2 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

The mom was quite upset by some of the topics taught in the regular California school system eg gender fluidity. This is new to me! Apparently every day, you can pick a new gender. No doubt Mom was engaging in wishful thinking. 

That the LGBT lobby hasn't yet caught on to the ramifications of "gender fluidity" vis a vis their pet "born that way" argument, is really quite remarkable.

4 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

That the LGBT lobby hasn't yet caught on to the ramifications of "gender fluidity" vis a vis their pet "born that way" argument, is really quite remarkable.

What do we believe in this matter? Do we believe that homosexuality is learned or genetic? Or some combination?

7 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

What do we believe in this matter? Do we believe that homosexuality is learned or genetic? Or some combination?

I don't know that we're bound to one belief or the other.  IIRC, there were two consecutive editions of the Ensign back in the late 1990s that in one month ran an article from Elder Packer saying that homosexuality certainly wasn't genetic; and in the next month including an article from Elder Oaks suggesting that maybe it was at least partially genetic.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I don't homeschool, so I am probably not the one whose opinion really matters here. I know I am skeptical that the Church is trying to develop, on its own, a complete curriculum. I could see the Church perhaps assisting in pointing to curriculum resources, or providing specific supplements to an established curriculum (perhaps to counter some egregious error taught in the main curriculum.

Personally, I would be a little cautious towards a curriculum developed by the Church. When I think back to my primary and secondary school days, one of the big issues that Church members around me were vocally concerned with was the evolution vs. creationism vs. geology vs. cosmology/astronomy. It seems (looking a long way back to an immature time for me when I probably did not understand the nuances of the ways those around me interacted with these sciences), that those around me would have preferred a solid young-earth creationist curriculum, and I think I would have been much poorer if I had been taught under such a curriculum.

I don't know all of what should be in a curriculum, or how the Church should be involved. We have had a few discussions here suggesting that the Church should not be responsible for a full and complete sex ed curriculum. What part should be the Church play in developing a science curriculum?

Re: Homosexuality as learned or genetic? I don't know that we can really say one way or the other. We can even add the extra nuance that there is some evidence that some of it is "gestational" -- sexual orientation sometimes seems correlated with stuff that happens during gestation, which is not really genetic, but is definitely not "learned" either.

42 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I personally believe it could be either one or both, but that ultimately it makes no difference.  To commit homosexual acts is a sin, regardless of if someone is born that way or it is developed over time.  All of us come into life with different trials, that is a trial for some, for others it is alcohol, others it is anger management, etc, etc.  Regardless of the origin, the most important principle is that it is contrary to God's commandments, and is to be sought to overcome.

Or is homosexuality something we picked up in pre earth life? We can developer predispositions to sin... why not a predispositions toward homosexuality?? Just a thought, not a deep belief.

But ya, regardless of where it came from, it is here to stay until the end. Let's deal with it and not worry about where it came from because it doesn't matter.

5 hours ago, Fether said:

Or is homosexuality something we picked up in pre earth life? We can developer predispositions to sin... why not a predispositions toward homosexuality?? Just a thought, not a deep belief.

With all due respect, and I know you're just brainstorming and it isn't mean to be more than a thought, but this is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever heard.

5 hours ago, Fether said:

it is here to stay until the end. 

Generally, yes, like all sin, until the Lord puts all things under His feet, sin will remain.

Individually, on the other hand, the "I am who I am and there's nothing I can do about it" philosophy is a lie.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

49 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Individually, on the other hand, the "I am who I am and there's nothing I can do about it" philosophy is a lie.

Yes.  Good talk on that, "What Manner of Men?" by Elder Hallstrom, April 2014 GC: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/04/what-manner-of-men?lang=eng

.... During one intense discussion about the challenges in his life, he leaned toward me—as his conclusion to our numerous talks—and said, “Bishop, I have a bad temper, and that’s just the way I am!”

That statement stunned me that night and has haunted me ever since. Once this man decided—once any of us conclude—“That’s just the way I am,” we give up our ability to change. We might as well raise the white flag, put down our weapons, concede the battle, and just surrender—any prospect of winning is lost. While some of us may think that does not describe us, perhaps every one of us demonstrates by at least one or two bad habits, “That’s just the way I am.”

18 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Well, they already have a program for those in High School called Seminary.

Well, yeah, but religious teaching doesn't really satisfy any state's requirements placed on homeschooling families.  

And kiddos don't start out with the ability to take pathway classes.  Gotta do things like learn to read and count and add first...