Latest Boy Scout poop (and I don't use that term lightly)

Vort

1 minute ago, Jane_Doe said:

Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are very different organizations.

And my view, if the Girl Scouts as a whole wants to do more Boy Scout-y stuff, then they can go for it.

What I don't want is girls joining the Boy Scouts and wanting it changes for them.

16 hours ago, Backroads said:

And my view, if the Girl Scouts as a whole wants to do more Boy Scout-y stuff, then they can go for it.

What I don't want is girls joining the Boy Scouts and wanting it changes for them.

Agreed.  Not just for the changes, either.  Boys and girls are different.  

2 hours ago, Grunt said:

Agreed.  Not just for the changes, either.  Boys and girls are different.  

And this is my gripe about the Public School Education.  The teaching methods employed by the Public Schools are geared towards the way a female brain processes information and is hostile to the male brain.  Boys have a disadvantage in school and I've never heard anybody of importance - or any group - raise the issue.

Edited by anatess2

The only way a bunch of girls are going to enjoy or even want to attend a camping outing is if there are boys there. Girls do not necessarily want to do the boys stuff, they just want to do it with the boys. I have seen girls try to do more "boy" type stuff together and it was a nightmare.

29 minutes ago, Dillon said:

The only way a bunch of girls are going to enjoy or even want to attend a camping outing is if there are boys there. Girls do not necessarily want to do the boys stuff, they just want to do it with the boys. I have seen girls try to do more "boy" type stuff together and it was a nightmare.

I tend to disagree with that as least as far as LDS girls.  Thousands and thousands of girls attend girl's camp every summer without boys and love it.

35 minutes ago, Dillon said:

4 minutes ago, pam said:

I tend to disagree with that as least as far as LDS girls.  Thousands and thousands of girls attend girl's camp every summer without boys and love it.

Pam, you are correct.  But are you doing "boy" type stuff at girls camp?  I wasn't aware they do.  Dillon has a point - generally, girls don't like doing boys stuff.  They do boy stuff when they're with boys.  (and no, I don't mean little girls playing with trucks and GI Joes).

Edited by anatess2

Just now, anatess2 said:

Pam, you are correct.  But are you doing "boy" type stuff at girls camp?  I wasn't aware they do.  Dillon has a point - generally, girls don't like doing boys stuff.  They do boy stuff when they're with boys.

I know when I was a teenage girl we did "rough" camp.  We had to dig our own latrines, we cooked on campfires, we learned to tie knots.  Many things that the boys do.  I do know that many of the girls camps today still teach some basic skills of survival.  At least in my area.  But then we also have trek where they go the route the pioneers did pushing handcarts and living out on the plains.

I do think that girl's camp today focuses more on the spiritual.  

8 minutes ago, pam said:

I know when I was a teenage girl we did "rough" camp.  We had to dig our own latrines, we cooked on campfires, we learned to tie knots.  Many things that the boys do.  I do know that many of the girls camps today still teach some basic skills of survival.  At least in my area.  But then we also have trek where they go the route the pioneers did pushing handcarts and living out on the plains.

I do think that girl's camp today focuses more on the spiritual.  

Yeah, our YW was complaining last year because their cabins didn't have A/C.

I was just asking a friend of mine via facebook messaging who is a leader for girls camp almost every year.  She said that most of the time they go to Hinckley Scout Camp and participate in a lot of activities like archery, canoeing, climbing, and hiking.   But they also focus on the spiritual as well.  And they do some crafts. :)   

1 minute ago, pam said:

I was just asking a friend of mine via facebook messaging who is a leader for girls camp almost every year.  She said that most of the time they go to Hinckley Scout Camp and participate in a lot of activities like archery, canoeing, climbing, and hiking.   But they also focus on the spiritual as well.  And they do some crafts. :)   

But those aren't specifically boy stuff...

2 minutes ago, pam said:

So what is specifically boys stuff?  

Aggression, competitiveness, satire, etc.

So let's take climbing.  Climbing is not simply climbing for boys.  Climbing is conquering the mountain... taking your physical limitation to the utmost extreme against an unforgiving mother nature.

3 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Aggression, competitiveness, satire, etc.

So let's take climbing.  Climbing is not simply climbing for boys.  Climbing is conquering the mountain... taking your physical limitation to the utmost extreme against an unforgiving mother nature.

I guess I'm not seeing that as being any different for many girls.

Just now, pam said:

I guess I'm not seeing that as being any different for many girls.

I feel sad reading this statement.  You really don't see a difference between girls climbing and boys climbing?  Has "gender equality" successfully eradicated that from society?

2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I feel sad reading this statement.  You really don't see a difference between girls climbing and boys climbing?  Has "gender equality" successfully eradicated that from society?

You make it seem like girls don't have some of the same aggression or the same want to conquer the difficult things.  To go farther than they ever have before.  To want to do something that no one thought they could do.  But yet they did it.  

I just don't see that as a boy thing only.   

I am not talking about the once a year camping trip where girls meet up from all over the state and they have all kinds of activities going on, I am talking about just a weekend camping trip for a local ward. When I was in boy scouts we would plan camping trips, just on the weekend, just us, our troop. We would fish, etc. I do not see a girls troop anywhere planning a trip like that unless they were going with a troop of boys.

57 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Are we talking about the same age girls? I am talking about teenage girls.  Teenage, raging hormones girls. Teenage girls that think about boys 24/7. These girls do not want to do the same things as boys unless they are doing it with boys.

I was never like that (thinking about boys 24/7) and I enjoyed shooting, repelling, skiing (water and snow), etc regardless of what the boys were doing or where they were so you're assumption is false.

I dont mean literally 24/7 they are with and thinking about boys,  Once you started dating much of what you did with your female friends involved boys,  whether it was to meet boys, talk to boys whatever. Girls do not typically care as much to hang out with other girls in groups as boys do.