Fathers please help

Iggy

My dentist and his wife are expecting their first child in Nov. I have always given the Mom and baby a gift basket. Comfy socks, hot cocoa mix & cup, soothing CD music, scented wax warmer, lavender scented epsom salts for Mom. Bath hoody towel, wash cloths, newborn booties & mittens, bibs, receiving blankets, Johnson's bath products for baby. BUT it never crossed my mind to include Dad.

Well, this time I really want to include Dad. When Hubby went in to have a tooth pulled, Doc came out to the waiting room. He was grinning ear to ear and told me: We are having a Baby Girl!

So, fathers, if your expectant wife were to receive this kind of a basket - what would you like to receive?

Doc loves to fish - river and ocean fishing. Oh and he is also an avid sports fan.  According to their Gal Friday in the office, he has been just as active in the purchasing & assembly of the furniture, choosing paint colors, clothes, etc.

Knowing what to put in the basket for Dad, Mom and Baby Girl will help me decide what size basket to get.

I always thought it would be nice to receive a "baby's first fishing pole" kind of thing. There are some fairly inexpensive child fishing poles (including some with girl themes). Even if the child will not be able to use it for a few years, I think it would be one possible way to show dad that you included him in your thought process.

A countdown calendar for his office.  

A hanger frame also for his office - I made one of these myself.... I got a rectangular piece of wood, 18" wide by 6" tall, glued several wooden clothespins on it and then spray painted the thing in vertical stripes of primary colors.  I made it for my husband while I was pregnant.  He hanged photos of my pregnant self on it and doctor appointment reminders that we got from the doctor and the cutesy things the prenatal class was handing out.  Then it soon got overtaken by baby pics when the baby was born.

His very own pillow and afghan for the rocking chair when it's his turn to feed the baby.  My husband got this as a gift from the security guard in his office building.  He didn't even know the guy's name!  I visited him in the office while I was ginormously pregnant and the guard signed me in.  His wife hand embroidered the pillow with our last name.  My husband loves it so much we still have the pillow on the side chair until today - over 16 years later.

That's all I can think of.

Thank all of you. Yes, I will go get a child's girly fishing pole, a throw and I can easily embroider a pillow [but will wait until the baby is born for the pillow, so I can put her name, birth date on it.]

I will ask his receptionist what his favorite team is and get a onsie too. Will include a cup for him, along with a variety of hot cocoas, teas and perhaps coffee. Will get him some slipper socks too if I can find them.

Anatess, I wish I was crafty enough to do the Countdown calendar for the office. Not even Hubby can help with that one. He is crafty with computers not with wood. But I will keep it in mind. There is a couple at church who are crafty, perhaps I will discuss this with them. OR I could brainstorm it and create an Embroidered Countdown Calendar.

Keep the suggestions coming. Ammo for guns - - - :roflmbo:  Could get him jarred bait or lures :animatedidea:

Well, being a dentist, he's had to study a lot so I suggest a book (and it will help all of them for years to come!): The Child Whisperer by Carol Tuttle

https://www.amazon.com/Whisperer-Ultimate-Handbook-Successful-Cooperative/dp/0984402136/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1504441853&sr=1-1&keywords=the+child+whisperer+by+carol+tuttle

Books! I always include a children's book for baby gifts. Those kiddos need to be read to from the moment they're born. Any of your favorites will do.  Two of mine are "Goodnight Moon" and "Are You My Mother?".  The latter I was able to find in Spanish, for a couple who were 1/2 Spanish speaking. 

http://www.parents.com/baby/development/intellectual/benefits-of-reading-to-your-newborn/

Edited by Blueskye2

My best friend read to babies while they were still in the womb. Her son, the 2nd child, was a restless baby - so she would tie down earphones on her belly and play soothing music. The classics. When she read to her three year old, the baby in the womb calmed down too.

Both children were precocious children. They read early, they both had an infinity for music. They tested above the normal, and they both graduated from high school early. She had her hands full with them, she had to supplement their learning from home. Even putting them in the best private Catholic school they were bored with the curriculum, so she added to it from home.

My Two Cents: That book sounds wonderful. Thank You.

28 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

If the baby is to be a girl you could get dad a semi-automatic shot gun. I've got 3 daughters, and have always thought it would be good to have one of those. I hear they may be illegal in some states, but some of our "residents" say they can teach me to DIY. :D

@prisonchaplain! I am appalled! And I do not apall easily, I will have you know!

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

My best friend read to babies while they were still in the womb. Her son, the 2nd child, was a restless baby - so she would tie down earphones on her belly and play soothing music. The classics. When she read to her three year old, the baby in the womb calmed down too.

Both children were precocious children. They read early, they both had an infinity for music. They tested above the normal, and they both graduated from high school early. She had her hands full with them, she had to supplement their learning from home. Even putting them in the best private Catholic school they were bored with the curriculum, so she added to it from home.

My Two Cents: That book sounds wonderful. Thank You.

A friend of mine teaches kindergarten, and says she has had kids start who don't know how to open a book. Now that's appalling. The kids who have been read to and have had their own books do better in school, is her advice. 

3 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

If the baby is to be a girl you could get dad a semi-automatic shot gun. I've got 3 daughters, and have always thought it would be good to have one of those. I hear they may be illegal in some states, but some of our "residents" say they can teach me to DIY. :D

:roflmbo: You are a hoot too! I haven't a clue what they feel about guns. So I'll not go there.

3 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

So how is your daughter getting on with choosing schools? Did you find a suitable place? Hoping Canada made the top 3!

We're looking at Southwestern Assemblies of God University, outside of Dallas; Lee University (Cleveland, TN); and Evangel University (Springfield, MO) in Nov. Then we'll have a better idea. Both girls liked Grove City College (PA) the best, on the last trip. Evergreen State College (WA) convinced them that a Christian college would be best.  :-)

6 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

We're looking at Southwestern Assemblies of God University, outside of Dallas; Lee University (Cleveland, TN); and Evangel University (Springfield, MO) in Nov. Then we'll have a better idea. Both girls liked Grove City College (PA) the best, on the last trip. Evergreen State College (WA) convinced them that a Christian college would be best.  :-)

Good for you for doing your homework!

On 9/4/2017 at 0:36 AM, prisonchaplain said:

What?  No BYU?  I'm shocked and appalled.

3 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

What?  No BYU?  I'm shocked and appalled.

I understand that @Vort is almost constantly shocked and appalled. He may be able to offer you some good coping strategies. I'd recommend using PM though. :cool:

Edited by prisonchaplain