Unexpected Interests

zil

I thought it might be fun to share our weird / random / unexpected interests.  To further explain...  While fountain pens might be weird to most of the planet, it's not at all unexpected for me - I've loved putting ink on paper for as long as I can remember.  While watching people do lathe-work or woodworking might be weird to a lot of people, I grew up watching and "helping" my dad build stuff with wood (I love the smell of sawdust) - so it's not weird for me.

But totally unexpected, I once watched (on YouTube) a dude restore a rusty old pipe cutter (I think that was the first thing), and discovered that I really like watching this restoration process - particularly the electricity to get the rust off bit.  There's something very satisfying about (a) seeing someone do something they're good at, (b) learning a tiny bit about something foreign to you, (c) seeing something that looks like it's worthless restored to good-as-new condition (like an inanimate resurrection, if you will).  I've watched enough of these now that I can recognize instances where it's clear the restorer has learned from experience what works and what doesn't (and even which restorers are better than others).

There's nothing in my life (that I can think of) that would explain why I like watching these, but I really do.

So, what unexpected thing do you find interesting? :)

Edited by zil

Guest MormonGator

@LadyGator and I make soap. We spend hundreds of dollars on soaping supplies and we probably make soap every other week. We've even sent samples to a few people on the Hub! 

We've been making soap for seven years, we've been making good soap for two years. 

10 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

@LadyGator and I make soap. We spend hundreds of dollars on soaping supplies and we probably make soap every other week. We've even sent samples to a few people on the Hub! 

We've been making soap for seven years, we've been making good soap for two years. 

How did you trip over the crazy idea of making soap?

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, zil said:

How did you trip over the crazy idea of making soap?

Serendipitously! I was driving alone on Interstate 95 in one of the Carolinas and I said to myself "I wonder how people make soap. I think I'm going to try that." And when I got home about 20 hours later, we went to Hobby Lobby and got the supplies. 

I've been out of town lately, but when I'm not, I make breakfast in bed for my wife every week.  It's been a hobby I have had for about a decade now.  I often take pictures of them and put them in a photo album and give it to her at the end of the year.  The kids help me too.  

Of note, a side hobby I have is trying to make heart shape boiled eggs.   I have been working on that for years and they aren't quite perfect.  Maybe it will take another decade.

Anyway, a few pics:

384371_433001090097019_2071688990_n.jpg

395698_279841405412989_1164423797_n.jpg

421210_295231890540607_297689449_n.jpg

548980_433001146763680_1867031843_n.jpg

599001_433001176763677_1944243231_n.jpg

941190_544224665641327_242252717_n.jpg

1012018_544213512309109_1545359838_n.jpg

1948255_864776256919498_49006760399998593_n.jpg

10559959_757635844300207_7887631850421821968_n.jpg

10584024_757635744300217_8200065795758352383_n.jpg

Edited by Scott

2 minutes ago, Scott said:

I've been out of town lately, but when I'm not, I make breakfast in bed for my wife every week.  It's been a hobby I have had for about a decade now.  I often take pictures of them and put them in a photo album and give it to her at the end of the year.

Of note, a side hobby I have is trying to make heart shape boiled eggs.   I have been working on that for years and they aren't quite perfect.  Maybe it will take another decade.

Anyway, a few pics:

STOP! YOU'RE MAKING THE REST OF US  HUSBANDS LOOK BAD. :bangcomputer:

Edited by unixknight

Just sitting, or walking - depending on where i'm at - in public places (i know, hold on, keep reading).

Discretely studying people's faces - especially their eyes - and just overall interactions with one another.  It's seriously interesting - especially if you ponder on the why of it.  You pretty much always come out of it with an improved state of mind.    Especially recommended for introverts for whom the world is a confusing place.

Don't worry, it's not *that* creepy.  By the nature of the thing, nobody stays for long.

i blame my starting to do this on videos like the one below (no, i never say anything to anyone).  

And i'd only recommend doing this if you are in a very, very, very large city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZP6uJtgM34

5 minutes ago, zil said:

I'm thinking you mean spheres. ;) Meanwhile, how is this unexpected?  Did you grow up with a profound khatred of sticks and circles?

Let me explain. They are more like cylinders. We also do dance moves when we hit the cylinders! I started because I wanted to be like the cool kids!

1 hour ago, unixknight said:

Because I'm a 44 year old dad with 6 kids...  ;)

This is all the excuse you need! My sister started buying American Girl dolls and paraphenelia BEFORE she had the child. AND she almost cried when the child grew out of the dolls. AND we, her sisters, had to firmly tell her to get rid of the stuff because she and family live in a very small house occupied largely with American Girl dolls and paraphenelia. 

4 minutes ago, zil said:

Fabulous!!!  I love drums - almost any sort.  Like the Japanese taiko drums - also fabulous.  @LadyGator loves drum corps stuff too. :)

If you have never been, it is one of the greatest experiences in music I have ever attended. Once a year Weber State holds a competition called Corp Encore where some of the top groups compete. Salt Lake City even has a group called The Battalion. I almost made the drumline 1 year ago but ended up getting married instead... couldn’t feasibly do or afford both xD

I like to read History books (if you do what you love, you never have to go to work, you just get paid to play) and I collect all sorts of various journals, diaries, accounts, and other items that are related to historical records.  I also just buy straight up history books and read them as well.  I enjoy reading Church history among other things (though I'm an amateur Church Historian on that accord).

I think most would find it a very boring interest but it's what I love to do.  Everyone has a story, it's just trying to get them to tell it.