Universal Healthcare

Tyme

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

I liked Frozen.  

[ducks behind something]

Embrace your likes and dislikes bro, no matter how cheesy they might be. :: blasts Kiss  :: 

(and besides, you like My Little Pony. Can't get much worse than that) 

5 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Embrace your likes and dislikes bro, no matter how cheesy they might be. :: blasts Kiss  :: 

(and besides, you like My Little Pony. Can't get much worse than that) 

Serious (well, semiserious) question: Have you ever actually watched My Little Pony? Whatever the incarnation was three or four years ago, not the earlier ones.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Dude, you referenced Bruce Springsteen in this thread.

Bruce.

Springsteen.

Aww son, sit down and let me school you. 

I can't stand Bruce Springsteen. His music is totally overrated. It's basically Billy Joel for people who are too cool and hip to like Billy Joel. He claims to be this blue collar, working man and writes songs that are oddly insulting to the blue collar, working man. He sneers at a country that has made him filthy rich. He makes fans pay his absurdly high concert tickets than decides not to go because the state has laws that he doesn't agree with. He sends his children to elite private schools and dines at the best restaurants in NYC-yet says he's proudly from New Jersey. 

Take notes young man, I could go on for pages. 

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Vort said:

Serious (well, semiserious) question: Have you ever actually watched My Little Pony? Whatever the incarnation was three or four years ago, not the earlier ones.

No, and it's a joke @Vort. I have no problem with anyone liking anything that I don't personally enjoy. Including My Little Pony. 

15 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Aww son, sit down and let me school you. 

I can't stand Bruce Springsteen. His music is totally overrated. It's basically Billy Joel for people who are too cool and hip to like Billy Joel. He claims to be this blue collar, working man and writes songs that are oddly insulting to the blue collar, working man. He sneers at a country that has made him filthy rich. He makes fans pay his absurdly high concert tickets than decides not to go because the state has laws that he doesn't agree with. He sends his children to elite private schools and dines at the best restaurants in NYC-yet says he's proudly from New Jersey. 

Take notes young man, I could go on for pages. 

You just don't like him because he hates Trump.  Admit it.

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I liked Frozen.  

[ducks behind something]

My English teacher went through a technical analysis of poetry and proceeded to dissect the poem "Trees".  He pointed out that it is just plain doggerel and how inconsistent it was in its imagery.

A girl in the class protested,"But I like 'tree'."

He said,"I don't care.  Take it to bed with you if you want.  This isn't about whether you like it or not.  It's about technical analysis of poetry.  And from that perspective, this isn't a good poem."

So, if you like frozen, own it buddy.  That has nothing to do with other things that may be said about it.

2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I'm with ya.  Everyone knows that I just can't get along with @NeuroTypical and @zil.  They've been on my block list now for at least 10 minutes.

It is not my fault you can't use a fountain pen! :P  And I'm pretty sure it's not NT's fault if you don't have your own My Little Pony figurine, complete with Pony-music.

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I'm with ya.  Everyone knows that I just can't get along with @NeuroTypical and @zil.  They've been on my block list now for at least 10 minutes.

We tried to put @zil in solitary confinement here at the compound, but she found a way to break free. The other wives are thinking of putting her in the Hannibal Lecter cell. 

3 minutes ago, zil said:

It is not my fault you can't use a fountain pen! :P  And I'm pretty sure it's not NT's fault if you don't have your own My Little Pony figurine, complete with Pony-music.

I've just realized something about the pen thing.  I have found that I grab pencils and pens REALLY close to the tip.  For me, that was just how I write.  I didn't know that most people hold it differently.  Now it's so ingrained that I just can't write holding it up higher.  isn't happening.  I have small hands.

... And you know what they say about a guy with small hands...  you can't trust them... to write with a fountain pen.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

My English teacher went through a technical analysis of poetry and proceeded to dissect the poem "Trees".  He pointed out that it is just plain doggerel and how inconsistent it was in its imagery.

A girl in the class protested,"But I like 'tree'."

He said,"I don't care.  Take it to bed with you if you want.  This isn't about whether you like it or not.  It's about technical analysis of poetry.  And from that perspective, this isn't a good poem."

Welcome to 21st-century postmodern criticism. As if this "teacher" had given anything worthwhile to the world, something besides describing why a poem doesn't qualify as more than "doggerel". Say what you will about Kilmer; at least he wrote poems. This (failure of a) teacher can rail all he wants about Kilmer's "doggerel", but a hundred years from now, people will still marvel at the insight, "Poems are made by fools like me / But only God can make a tree."

I have little patience for those who delight in tearing down, especially when that seems to be their only gift.

7 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I've just realized something about the pen thing.  I have found that I grab pencils and pens REALLY close to the tip.  For me, that was just how I write.  I didn't know that most people hold it differently.  Now it's so ingrained that I just can't write holding it up higher.  isn't happening.  I have small hands.

... And you know what they say about a guy with small hands...  you can't trust them... to write with a fountain pen.

You mentioned this before, and I suggested a hooded nib (pen comes in shades other than black):

61dRFPYU3AL._SL1000_.jpg

But then you said you have this bad habit of leaving pens in your pockets when you throw stuff in the wash, and, well, that's a pretty bad idea with a liquid ink... :(

8 minutes ago, Vort said:
17 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Welcome to 21st-century postmodern criticism. As if this "teacher" had given anything worthwhile to the world, something besides describing why a poem doesn't qualify as more than "doggerel". Say what you will about Kilmer; at least he wrote poems.

Squidward doesn't like you, Vort.

SquidwardTheRulesOfArt.jpg.35301aa8fd864438538e97df74b53441.jpg

29 minutes ago, zil said:

Hey!  No picking on Pony-boy! :)

Thank you, Zil.  I hereby give you one free forum rules violation indulgence.  (If you use it against Carb or MormonGator, I'll give you two.)

Edited by NeuroTypical

20 minutes ago, Vort said:

I have little patience for those who delight in tearing down, especially when that seems to be their only gift.

I don't believe you misjudge him on this matter.  He was really old school and quite capable in all literary matters, and one of the three great teachers I had growing up.  He was raised in a K-12 Catholic school, where he scored a 98% throughout all 13 years.  They didn't have "grades" back then.

His analysis was highly technical and logical.  There was no emotion in it.  It wasn't about "tearing down" anything or anyone.  He even said that it really does sound very pretty. 

But if you're going to have technical analysis of anything, it has to be by some objective standard.  And "sounding pretty" or "liking it" isn't an objective standard.  The primary thing that he pointed out was the inconsistency of the imagery.  The message was something else entirely.  And he didn't care whether it was right or not, or profound or not.  Those are subjective (mostly).  He was concerned about -- how was the poem written? What was the skillful use of words and syntax that are the very definition of what separates prose from poetry?

Popularity and longevity, as you pointed to, though measurable objectively, don't offer a good metric because those can be had by anything.  What would be the 1) Objective standard & 2) skillful use of words that you found so impressive in "Trees"?

Edited by Guest

• pam unfeatured this topic