Grown-up Christmas Gifts! (the secular side of things)

The Folk Prophet

3 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

I'm impossible to buy for because if I want something I just buy it for myself.  No discipline whatsoever.:eek:

Totally understand. But...I gotta say...having put the thing away for Christmas (well...having let my wife put it away for Christmas)...(...er...let? I mean...well....you know what I mean)...I'm really excited for it now. I've been excited for weeks. I'll be excited for weeks more. Once I have it and am using it...well it's a microphone. I have others. I'm sure the "excitement" will wear off very quickly...though hopefully the appreciation won't.

2 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Me too! Technically it's her 2nd Christmas though. But last year, although she loved the paper and unwrapping, etc., she really didn't get anything. This year I think she'll get just a wee bit more.

Yeah my daughter was born after the first of the year, but she's getting pretty big. Not big enough to be too interested in her new toys yet, but giving my child presents at Christmas is something I've dreamed about for years so she is going to get spoiled.

2 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

Yeah my daughter was born after the first of the year, but she's getting pretty big. Not big enough to be too interested in her new toys yet, but giving my child presents at Christmas is something I've dreamed about for years so she is going to get spoiled.

Don't e disappointed when she's more interested in playing with the box than the present.  ;)

6 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

My wife always expects an over the top Christmas gift. This year it’s a Rolex watch https://www.rolex.com/watches/datejust/m178274-0082.html

I'm terrible with watches.  I've had a few expensive ones over the years, but whether it is expensive or cheap I never manage to keep track of them for more than a year.  Someway, somehow I almost always lose them (I suspect the major area is at the university gym, but that's just my suspicion due to having remembering having left some there which aren't there when I go back to claim them) so I always tell people ONLY buy me cheap watches if they get me a watch at all. 

3 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

I'm impossible to buy for because if I want something I just buy it for myself. 

You too, eh.

I also normally get whatever I am wanting, but luckily it's not that overwhelming, at least thus far.  Hopefully never gets to that point. 

3 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

Wait until you have grandkids and they come over for Christmas.  My experience depends on how old they are.  When they are around one years old they will first be kind of confused about the present and you have to help them open it up.  Once they figure it out, they start getting more excited and by the third or fourth present they are eagerly opening anything and everything.

6 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Don't e disappointed when she's more interested in playing with the box than the present.  ;)

But, as Anatess states...sometimes they are far more interested in the packaging or something you didn't expect them to be interested or excited about instead of the actual item inside.

3 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

I'm terrible with watches. 

Me too!

I lost a Tag Heuer... that was the last time I dared to wear a watch.  Same with any jewelry, actually.  I lost the diamond earings my husband got me.  The only thing I never lost was my engagement/wedding rings and that's because I don't take it off for any reason.

15 minutes ago, Vort said:

I would love to have a wood shop. Better yet, a metal shop. Best yet, both.

I started following the Woodworking for Mere Mortals guy on Youtube.  He works out of his garage and talks about how to get your basic power tool setup for under $1K, and beyond that you basically buy stuff as you need it for specific projects.  I’ve got almost all the pricier basics (router, drill/impact driver, jigsaw, miter saw) except the table saw, and a saw cart/outfeed table/workbench/assembly table on casters (like these— https://www.rockler.com/rockler-workbench-caster-kit-4-pack) is my current big project.   Just_A_Girl hasn't quite caught on to the fact that I’m justifying my tool purchases with the need to build a place to put . . . my . . . tools.  :blush:  But eventually, I’ll be making bookshelves and tables and all kinds of good stuff!

Edited by Just_A_Guy

6 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I started following the Woodworking for Mere Mortals guy on Youtube.  He works out of his garage and talks about how to get your basic power tool setup for under $1K, and beyond that you basically buy stuff as you need it for specific projects.  I’ve got almost all the pricier basics (router, drill/impact driver, jigsaw, miter saw) except the table saw, and a saw cart/outfeed table/workbench/assembly table on casters (like these— https://www.rockler.com/rockler-workbench-caster-kit-4-pack) is my current big project.   Just_A_Girl hasn't quite caught on to the fact that I’m justifying my tool purchases with the need to build a place to put . . . my . . . tools.  :blush:  But eventually, I’ll be making bookshelves and tables and all kinds of good stuff!

Helpful hint: Every time you do a job around the house, you need to acquire a new tool to help with that job. Always point out that the cost of the tool is less than what you'd pay someone to do the job. Win/win!

6 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

So you haven't gotten hooked on Frank Howarth yet?  That's good.  Just_A_Girl is going to freak when you tell her you need a CNC router for the school fund-raiser project:

3 minutes ago, Vort said:

Helpful hint: Every time you do a job around the house, you need to acquire a new tool to help with that job. Always point out that the cost of the tool is less than what you'd pay someone to do the job. Win/win!

Lucky for me, I get to replace the faucet on our kitchen sink come Saturday.  Mmmm . . . possibilities . . . mmmmmm.  :satan:

3 minutes ago, Vort said:

Hint #2: "Honey, with this tool, I'll finish a lot sooner, and be able to spend more time with you." :wub:

5 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

I think we very much relate. We waited 19 years for our first. So...