Women and Priesthood Power

Guest LiterateParakeet

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 hours ago, MrShorty said:

With some of this "new" rhetoric, I am seeing us say that my wife could keel at their bedside and give essentially the same blessing. In both cases, we are each calling upon the powers of God/Heaven to bless a child, and as I am understanding the rhetoric, each is equivalent. 

I know it feels new because we didn't understand it before, but the more I learn the more I realize that our Leaders have understood this and tried to tell us for a long time.  

Another part is kind of the same thing. When my child is sick, I can lay my hands on their head and give a blessing. With some of this "new" rhetoric, I am seeing us say that my wife could keel at their bedside and give essentially the same blessing. In both cases, we are each calling upon the powers of God/Heaven to bless a child, and as I am understanding the rhetoric, each is equivalent. There is no real difference between me laying hands on head and invoking the Melchizedek Priesthood than my wife calling on God by virtue of her position as a woman and mother. I find myself back at the same point -- what does my formal ordination bring to the scenario?

This would be incorrect. Has nothing to do with rhetoric.

I assume this highlights how specific spiritual experiences shouldn't be shared on a public forum. My wife is able to understand the difference between me laying my hands on our children and her prayer of faith. If she can, then as a priesthood holder this should be a simple concept between authority, power, and faith.

Except that I would still be in a position to lead and protect my family without the formal ordination to the Priesthood. A single mother is considered the leader and protector of her family without ordination. I don't think I am underestimating my value to my family -- I'm not seeing how my ordination to the Priesthood adds anything to that value.

My response would be along the lines of this: Yes, you have the responsibililty to lead and protect your family, even wtihout the Priesthood. But you do not have the full spiritual and patriarchal ability to do so. That comes only through the divine authorization of the Priesthood.

I probably cannot defend this opinion well from scriptures or prophetic teachings. It is my own personal understanding. I believe it to be correct, but I don't expect you to just take my word for it. Just putting it out there for consideration.

One part of the discussion has been whether or not women are authorized to lay on hands -- often citing the practice of women laying on hands for blessings earlier in this dispensation. I am not sure if those who advocate for this practice today are the last vestiges of the older practice as the practice finally dies out, or if I am seeing a resurgence of the older practice.

Another part is kind of the same thing. When my child is sick, I can lay my hands on their head and give a blessing. With some of this "new" rhetoric, I am seeing us say that my wife could keel at their bedside and give essentially the same blessing. In both cases, we are each calling upon the powers of God/Heaven to bless a child, and as I am understanding the rhetoric, each is equivalent. There is no real difference between me laying hands on head and invoking the Melchizedek Priesthood than my wife calling on God by virtue of her position as a woman and mother. I find myself back at the same point -- what does my formal ordination bring to the scenario?

The easy answer is this: We have been commanded to minister to our sick by having men of the Priesthood offer them blessings. But that sort of begs the question, doesn't it?

Hugh Nibley once offered the following example:

We instruct our young children to wash their hands with soap. Our children do not understand what role soap plays in cleaning our hands; they just know they're supposed to use soap when washing their hands. But this does not mean that soap doesn't really do anything. It does do something, something very important. It helps in a real way, but a way beyond the understanding of a four-year-old. Similarly, we're instructed to use olive oil when offering blessings by the laying on of hands. We do not know why we use olive oil. But that doesn't mean there is no reason. We may well find in the next life that there are very good reasons indeed why we have been instructed to do the things we're supposed to do, and we will be very glad that we obeyed even though we didn't understand why.

36 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I know it feels new because we didn't understand it before, but the more I learn the more I realize that our Leaders have understood this and tried to tell us for a long time.  

I think this is true of pretty much all the changes.  Sure there has been policy changes... But the fundamentals have not changed.  If for whatever reason we did not understand before this is a chance for us to repent (aka change)

11 hours ago, MrShorty said:

At what point does this become the Protestant "Priesthood of all believers" idea where there is no need for any kind of formal ordination?

Since Pres. Nelson's talk in October, this maybe is the thing that has really been rattling around in my head -- Why am I ordained? As an Elder, I am not eligible to be called into most positions of Church government (What Ulrich called the Ecclesiastical Priesthood). In a thread started shortly after last conference, we talked about women being able to officiate in blessings for the sick and blessings of comfort, so those ordinances do not seem to require formal ordination (though I think there is some debate to be had on this). I guess I need to be formally ordained in order to perform baptisms and confirmations for my family members, which only happens a few times. As a youth, I needed to be formally ordained to pass, prepare, and bless the sacrament. Any other callings I am called to fulfill come with a "setting apart" in which I am given the requisite priesthood authority to perform those callings (and, the impression I am getting, is that this is new priesthood authority and not "activating" a latent authority that is already present in my ordination as I once thought). It just seems that my ordination grants me very little above and beyond what any non-ordained member of the Church has -- not that I need my ordination to grant me special privileges. It just seems that, at this stage in my life, I could abdicate my priesthood and still do everything I currently do in the Church and my family.

A big part of the male ordination is for structure and order.  

Yeah, you probably could do everything you do without a formal ordination but you would be removing yourself from the established order.  We shouldn’t down play ourselves because we’re not playing a role we think is distinguished.

just like women shouldn’t down play their feminine qualities and nature if they are not in a position of wife or mother.

Men are ordained.  It’s pretty important.  Hey, even if I don’t make it to the temple having that recommend means a lot.

10 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Wait!  Am I understanding this correctly?  You don't see that there's a difference between your random next-door neighbor leading and protecting his family from a faithful member leading and protecting his family through priesthood authority?  You, yourself, doesn't have to hold the Priesthood authority.  Your family, as much as they remain faithful to their covenants, are under the umbrella of the authority of the Father/Bishop/Stake/Area/First Presidency/Christ.  Any of those levels fail to apply to you, the next level will.  The difference between the Father's and the Bishop's authority is the same difference as the Mayor and the Governor of a city.  The Mayor is closer to the family and, therefore, can answer more specifically to the needs of his constituents.  Similary, the Father, as much as he remains faithful to qualify for his Priesthood, can answer more specifically to the needs of his sphere of authority, preparing the family for the next ordinance/covenant and helping the family keep the covenants they have already made.

Sorry. Most of this just sounds like make-believe, IMO. But I fail to see where any of this is different for a non-LDS family than for an LDS family (which I hope to explain in this post). No one is set apart to be the head of a household. That comes by virtue of getting married. The Bishop has no authority in my home unless I give it to him (by requesting his help). Outside of that, all others, no matter who they are, are just people.

As far as power is concerned, well, I don't control that in or out of my home. A person outside my home can, using his priesthood authority, bless my home regardless of whether or not I ask.  The power of the priesthood exercised in that manner can influence my family life. The prayer of the righteous availeth much. In fact, most of the time, I wouldn't even be aware of those blessings or from whence they came. However, I don't believe this ever happens except on rare emergency cases if that person knows about the emergency.

The presiding authority in the home is the head of that house, member of the church or not. The Bishop/Stake President/Area/Frist Presidency/Christ have no authority in my home unless I give it to them, usually by asking them for help.

That being said, usually, the priesthood is not involved in blessing house or members of the family except in the case of emergency. A truly dedicated priesthood holder might bless his house, dedicate it, once... might. Most priesthood holders don't. A faithful member might lay his hands on his child's head as they head off away from home, once. Sometimes, a rare and sometimes thought to be strange home, there might be a father's blessing each year. So I don't really see the priesthood as being used to "lead and protect" his family. Most of the time,  we shoot from the hip and might offer a prayer, but anyone can pray - they don't need the priesthood to do that.

Guest LiterateParakeet

@brotherofJared sounds like you are living below your privileges.  :)  

@anatess2 I understood what you were saying and I totally agree.

Sister Gardner talked about a study she did (just searching the topical guide in the scriptures) on Power, also power of Jesus Christ, priesthood, virtue, authority, influence, and temple endowments.  I put the link below...it's almost an hour and a half...took me longer because I kept stopping and looking up scriptures or talks she mentioned.---Time well spent!  

Sounds like a scripture study I need to embark on.  Until then, I can only tell you what she said. She found that priesthood power in accordance with our temple endowments gives us power to:

-deal with the burdens, obstacles and temptations of our day

-endure

-receive revelation

-receive ministering angels

-commune with God

-be heirs with Christ

-detect deception

-part the veil

-be enlightened, protected and strengthened

-thwart the evil forces

-use our gifts and capabilities with greater intelligience and effectiveness

-strengthen the family

-preach and teach

-strengthen childer and families

-cast off Satan

-see clearly and discern between good and evil

I would add Jacob 4: 6-7 to this list.

She also quoted Elder Bednar as saying, "For those of you whose questions I answered, I'm really sorry.  The Holy Ghost does a way better job than me."  I think there is good counsel there for all of us, to search the scriptures and counsel with the Holy Ghost to know how we might better exercise the priesthood power we have been given, and whom the Lord would have us bless.  

Edited by LiterateParakeet

16 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Sister Gardner talked about a study she did (just searching the topical guide in the scriptures) on Power, also power of Jesus Christ, priesthood, virtue, authority, influence, and temple endowments.  I put the link below...it's almost an hour and a half...took me longer because I kept stopping and looking up scriptures or talks she mentioned.---Time well spent!  

Sounds like a scripture study I need to embark on.  Until then, I can only tell you what she said. She found that priesthood power in accordance with our temple endowments gives us power to:

-endure

-receive revelation

-commune with God

-be heirs with Christ

-detect deception

-part the veil

-thwart the evil forces

-strengthen the family

-preach and teach

-cast off Satan

I would add Jacob 4: 6-7 to this list.

She also quoted Elder Bednar as saying, "For those of you whose questions I answered, I'm really sorry.  The Holy Ghost does a way better job than me."  I think there is good counsel there for all of us, to search the scriptures and counsel with the Holy Ghost to know how we might better exercise the priesthood power we have been given, and whom the Lord would have us bless.  

Hmmm.  I suspect I'm living below my privileges as well, but I still don't have a decent understanding.  

Guest LiterateParakeet
12 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Hmmm.  I suspect I'm living below my privileges as well, but I still don't have a decent understanding.  

If  it's any help, I suspect that most of us, certainly myself included, are! The good news is we can change that. The Lord wants to bless us, but He won't force His hand, we have to seek. 

2 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

With your new understanding you might also want to study Section 121 of the Doctrine and Covenants.  Its the instructions on handling the Powers of Heaven (aka Priesthood Power)

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

With your new understanding you might also want to study Section 121 of the Doctrine and Covenants.  Its the instructions on handling the Powers of Heaven (aka Priesthood Power)

Yes, I will thank you.  Right now, I'm working on D&C 84...particularly the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood.  There is so much to learn, I feel behind!  :D  

4 hours ago, brotherofJared said:

Sorry. Most of this just sounds like make-believe, IMO. But I fail to see where any of this is different for a non-LDS family than for an LDS family (which I hope to explain in this post). No one is set apart to be the head of a household. That comes by virtue of getting married. The Bishop has no authority in my home unless I give it to him (by requesting his help). Outside of that, all others, no matter who they are, are just people.

As far as power is concerned, well, I don't control that in or out of my home. A person outside my home can, using his priesthood authority, bless my home regardless of whether or not I ask.  The power of the priesthood exercised in that manner can influence my family life. The prayer of the righteous availeth much. In fact, most of the time, I wouldn't even be aware of those blessings or from whence they came. However, I don't believe this ever happens except on rare emergency cases if that person knows about the emergency.

The presiding authority in the home is the head of that house, member of the church or not. The Bishop/Stake President/Area/Frist Presidency/Christ have no authority in my home unless I give it to them, usually by asking them for help.

That being said, usually, the priesthood is not involved in blessing house or members of the family except in the case of emergency. A truly dedicated priesthood holder might bless his house, dedicate it, once... might. Most priesthood holders don't. A faithful member might lay his hands on his child's head as they head off away from home, once. Sometimes, a rare and sometimes thought to be strange home, there might be a father's blessing each year. So I don't really see the priesthood as being used to "lead and protect" his family. Most of the time,  we shoot from the hip and might offer a prayer, but anyone can pray - they don't need the priesthood to do that.

@LiterateParakeet has the best answer to this.

Elder Bednar gave a talk in a conference once that I attended.  He stated that everything we do in the Church revolves around 2 things and 2 things only - "1.) to prepare to receive the next ordinance and its corresponding covenant, 2.) to help each other keep the covenants already made, period, exclamation point, end of sentence."

Yes, he said that - "period, exclamation point, end of sentence".  This simple paragraph should lead you to discerning how a person having the authority to "hold the umbrella" of the priesthood up and over his own family leads the family towards these 2 objectives and how a person gathering the people, especially the children, under the umbrella of the priesthood (regardless of who is holding it up) also lead towards these 2 objectives.  In any case, that umbrella has to be held up.

Edited by anatess2

8 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I am not living below my privileges

8 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

-endure

-receive revelation

-commune with God

-be heirs with Christ

-detect deception

-part the veil

-thwart the evil forces

-strengthen the family

-preach and teach

-cast off Satan

All of these are available to anyone who has faith in Christ (I'm not sure what you mean by part the veil, but I assume that means receive revelation which does not require priesthood authority) and has received the gift of the Holy Ghost. These are not privileges that are solely associated with priesthood power or authority. I think it arrogant to suggest that temple endowments gives one the power to "commune with God", just to mention one. Anyone, Mormon or not, can have that privilege.

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 minutes ago, brotherofJared said:

I think it arrogant to suggest that temple endowments gives one the power to "commune with God", 

I'm just pointing out what is in the topical guide of our scriptures.  Make of it what you will. 

5 hours ago, anatess2 said:

@LiterateParakeet has the best answer to this.

Elder Bednar gave a talk in a conference once that I attended.  He stated that everything we do in the Church revolves around 2 things and 2 things only - "1.) to prepare to receive the next ordinance and its corresponding covenant, 2.) to help each other keep the covenants already made, period, exclamation point, end of sentence."

Yes, he said that - "period, exclamation point, end of sentence".  This simple paragraph should lead you to discerning how a person having the authority to "hold the umbrella" of the priesthood up and over his own family leads the family towards these 2 objectives and how a person gathering the people, especially the children, under the umbrella of the priesthood (regardless of who is holding it up) also lead towards these 2 objectives.  In any case, that umbrella has to be held up.

I don't see where the power and authority of the priesthood is mentioned in that little paragraph anywhere. It does not mention giving the ordinances, but instead, receiving the ordinances which do not require one to hold the priesthood to obtain them. The umbrella that is being held up is the tree of life and it has to capacity to cover all who want to get under it and it doesn't require the priesthood to do it.

My point is that you all are calling prayer, the power of the priesthood. It is not. Anyone can pray. I don't believe the power of the priesthood elevates anyone's prayer over another. Conferring blessings in the name of God requires priesthood, forgiving sins requires priesthood, but we don't normally see these done in a family setting for protection or guidance. What we see in most Latter-day Saints is the same effort as any person puts forth, using the priesthood generally is not done. It is in my life, but when I mention using the priesthood to fellow LDS around me, I usually get laughed at.

What I see here, that is being called the priesthood, is taking what we do regularly in our lives and calling that priesthood authority. You might as well say that eating breakfast is done by the power of the priesthood. It's not. It's done with a spoon or a fork and neither of those is an implement of the priesthood.

Guest LiterateParakeet
25 minutes ago, brotherofJared said:

Care to provide a reference?

Lol, nope. As I said, its Sis. Gardner's list. When I have time, I will create my own list, but I'm not going to take the time now to track it down. We both know how you are likely to respond .

58 minutes ago, brotherofJared said:

I think it arrogant to suggest that temple endowments gives one the power to "commune with God", just to mention one. Anyone, Mormon or not, can have that privilege.

Think what you will. Those who are not endowed with power cannot dwell with God. Period. If you don't like that, then you do you. But your doing of you won't change reality.

1 hour ago, brotherofJared said:

I don't see where the power and authority of the priesthood is mentioned in that little paragraph anywhere. It does not mention giving the ordinances, but instead, receiving the ordinances which do not require one to hold the priesthood to obtain them. The umbrella that is being held up is the tree of life and it has to capacity to cover all who want to get under it and it doesn't require the priesthood to do it.

This is the umbrella I'm talking about. 

On 2/5/2020 at 10:05 AM, anatess2 said:

So Grunt, one of the Apostles (either Bednar or Oaks) made this analogy:

Priesthood Power is like a big Umbrella.  It works for everyone under the umbrella - men, women, children, and everyone in between.  Priesthood Authority is the authority to hold that umbrella up.  This authority is given to worthy men ordained to the Priesthood.  Priesthood holders are not the umbrella.  They're just the ones holding the umbrella up.  Women are not tasked with holding the umbrella except for very rare circumstances (like in initiatories).  They are tasked with gathering people, especially the children, under the umbrella.

Somebody has to hold up that umbrella.  If you don't want to exercise that authority to hold up the umbrella in your family, your family is not going to be "punished" for your avoidance of the responsibility.  Somebody else will hold the umbrella for them so that they can perform everything else under that umbrella (prayers, blessings, etc. etc. etc.).  Now, if you are asking me - "what difference does it make who holds up the umbrella?" then, as an LDS priesthood holder, you're going to have to talk to your Priesthood quorum about that.

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

This is the umbrella I'm talking about. 

Somebody has to hold up that umbrella.  If you don't want to exercise that authority to hold up the umbrella in your family, your family is not going to be "punished" for your avoidance of the responsibility.  Somebody else will hold the umbrella for them so that they can perform everything else under that umbrella (prayers, blessings, etc. etc. etc.).  Now, if you are asking me - "what difference does it make who holds up the umbrella?" then, as an LDS priesthood holder, you're going to have to talk to your Priesthood quorum about that.

The analogy means nothing to me nor does the praddle about how women use their priesthood power. Anyone can do what has been listed so far without the priesthood.

The priesthood is the power and authority of the Lord.  Those who hold it can call down his power in his place.  They are literally representing him on the Earth. 

Those who do not have this, cannot act as his literal representative in the same way.  They can feel it's blessings, but they cannot be the literal representative of the Lord on this Earth.  The can not act in his stead with the power that he could. 

The Church currently (though with how things change, it may eventually change in definition...but the scripture will not) has this on their site and it agrees with the scriptures currently in that it says...

Priesthood

The word priesthood has two meanings. First, priesthood is the power and authority of God. It has always existed and will continue to exist without end (see Alma 13:7–8; Doctrine and Covenants 84:17–18). Through the priesthood, God created and governs the heavens and the earth. Through this power, He exalts His obedient children, bringing to pass “the immortality and eternal life of man” (Moses 1:39; see also Doctrine and Covenants 84:35–38).

Second, in mortality, priesthood is the power and authority that God gives to man to act in all things necessary for the salvation of God’s children. The blessings of the priesthood are available to all who receive the gospel (“Priesthood Authority,” Handbook 2, Administering the Church).

The Lord's house is one of order.

This is why the Prophet and the Twelve Apostles are the Prophet and Twelve apostles. Through the Power of the Priesthood they have received the power and authority to act in those roles.

As it was explained to me many years ago, think of the General in the Army for the United States of America.  He is given authorization from Congress and the President to act in that role.  He has the authority to give commands and to have them acted out.  There are many who may want to be an imposter, to pretend that they have that authority and power, but pretending does not give it to them.

The same would hold for police officers.  They have the power and authority to act in regards to enforcing the law and the demands of their governments (which may not always be protecting the citizens depending on what the government wants).  There may be some who try to pretend they are Police officers, but that does not make them such (and can be considered a crime in some nations).

The Priesthood offers MORE than what these simple offices of our temporal earth have.  It also grants power.  In fact it is the POWER of the LORD that one wields, which can command the earth, the universe, angels, and all that is the Lords.  As the Priesthood is also the power of the Lord, it gives people the power to do certain things in the Lord's place.  We can do ordinances which the Lord can do (with the Lord's approval of course).

Many of these ordinances are major and set in their wording.  We have the ordinances of Baptism, the Gift of the Holy Ghost, the Sacrament, the several ordinances of the Temple including those for the dead and sealings, and that of ordaining to the priesthood.

In addition, there are those ordinances which may not require as set a wording (though the Gift of the Holy Ghost can have more free words than the others which require a set wording and terminology).

These ordinances are not always acknowledged as such and some may disagree, but they require the priesthood.  These would include the Blessing and administering to the Sick, the Blessing and dedication of the Home, the Dedication of Buildings to the Lord, the dedication of graves, and some others.

In reference to the First I stated there, there is a distinct difference between the Priesthood usage where one blesses and heals the sick than where one simply prays for them. 

With the Priesthood power, one is acting in the stead of the Lord.  If they and the person they are blessing  have the faith and the Lord approves, as the Lord did, they can literally command the person to be healed and it will be done.  I have actually seen this in my own life.

I had an experience where I saw a person blind in one eye have their sight returned.  I have also seen a paraplegic have their ability to walk return when doctors said there was no way that person would ever walk again.  I knew someone that had an ailment that was sending them to the grave and it appeared they would die, and yet after the priesthood blessing recovered and are still alive today.  I have seen other miracles done by the power of the Priesthood to people I personally know.  These are miracles and I have seen them occur.

This is different than those that claim this power or LOST this power (due to apostasy, some of which including things we see around us today in our liberal society, others in history where murder, changing of ordinances so that they were not able to be performed by the priesthood, in fighting, etc.) who try to exercise this power in their churches.  This is why there had to be a restoration of it in our day and our time.

Those who do not have the Priesthood may still benefit from it's blessings.  In the past (though this idea seems to be changing today) sisters were called to leadership positions.  This did NOT give them the Priesthood.  Instead, they were under it's blessings, and under that umbrella they were given the authority to act in leadership of that society or area of the church.  However, this did not confer upon them the Priesthood and the ability to do the ordinances there of.

In relation to the Home, this gives the priesthood hold a special right.  It is there that they not only act in their proper role given to them by heaven of that of a Father and leader in the home, but also as the direct representation of the Lord in the home.  In the past, this was seen as not just being for this life, but also in the life to come.

Bishops as judges on earth come and go, but the Father of the Home is the Father there.  He literally represents the Father and the Son's authority on this earth.  IF he is righteous (and the unrighteous will lose this ability) his word has MORE meaning then the temporal leadership of other fathers.  He has the divine right to give commandments to his children (once again, this HAS to be done in righteousness, in love and care...that given unrighteously not only do not work in this manner, it can also act as a condemnation to that man).  Prophets in the past stated that the Husband and Father in the Home will have the following things delegated to him from the Lord (or possibly delegated).

1.  He will be the righteous judge in Israel.  He will be the judge of his family.  He knows his family better than others and has great love for them (we are talking the righteous fathers, not those who were not righteous).  He will be the one to judge his family in the hereafter as long as it is delegated to him from the Lord.

2.  He has the right to act in the Lord's place and call his wife forth through the veil and into the resurrection.

3.  He will be eternally sealed to them as their Father forever.

4.  He has the right to act as the Lord would in his place and instruct his family with the spirit AND the power to aid him.

Now, this does NOT detract from the divine right or command for ALL fathers, priesthood holders or not, to lead the home and to be husbands and fathers in their own right.  However, they will not have the blessings given to them in eternity to do such, nor the extension of the choices and judgments of this life they utilize in their family relationships into the eternities.

As I said, MOTHERS ALSO in my opinion and statements of general authorities in the past ALSO receive the priesthood, but NOT that which is the same of what we normally call the Priesthood holder.  They receive the power under the Patriarchial order which makes a man part of the Highest Order of the Priesthood.  This cannot be held solely by the Man, but is a joint holding of him and his spouse when they are sealed together under the sealing power of the Lord by one who has the keys of that granted unto him.

It is THIS power that we have seen women utilize in the past in the church.  When women have blessed their children back in Brigham Young's time and John Taylor's and Wilford Woodruff's period of the Church they were doing it under the priesthood of their husband.  Even if both hold it jointly, the husband holds it as the Leader and thus is the Priesthood holder.  The wife therefore called down the priesthood blessings under the priesthood of her husband, normally when her husband was absent and there was a need to call the priesthood power.  We have seen this done by the laying on of hands by wives and mothers in church history.

We normally do not see this usage in the church today.

Others can still feel the blessings of the priesthood.  They can be blessed by it.

Relating to the link I posted above...(though this is stretching my quotation limits for an article, thus I must say, beyond this, if one wants to know more, read the article at the Church's site)

The family is ordained of God. It is the most important unit in time and in eternity. As part of our Heavenly Father’s plan, we were born into families. He established families to bring us happiness, to help us learn correct principles in a loving atmosphere, and to prepare us for eternal life. Parents have the vital responsibility to help their children prepare to return to Heavenly Father.

Each husband and father in the Church should strive to be worthy to hold the Melchizedek Priesthood. With his wife as an equal partner, he presides in righteousness and love, serving as the family’s spiritual leader.

Gospel Topic - Priesthood

Blessings are something we should appreciate.  These can give us many different blessings.  One thing to realize is the authority of the priesthood is not the same as the power of the Priesthood.  Much of this thread has been about the power of the priesthood, but recent discussion to a degree is about the authority of the priesthood (that of the priesthood holder in the home and the leadership authority in the hierarchy of the church along with church ordinances).  Thus, much of what I wrote above also deals with the authority and what authority the priesthood grants.

Edited by JohnsonJones

13 hours ago, brotherofJared said:

The analogy means nothing to me nor does the praddle about how women use their priesthood power. Anyone can do what has been listed so far without the priesthood.

"Without the priesthood" is a silly statement.  NOTHING in the Plan of Salvation - not a single thing, not prayer, not blessings, not covenants, not even the Atonement - happens without the priesthood.

Sounds like you have some studying to do.  It's like somebody breathing oxygen and saying, anyone can breathe without oxygen - because he didn't see it.

Guest LiterateParakeet

@JohnsonJones  I respectfully disagree with, what I think is the overarching theme, of your post.  When I read your post, it was thrown back into the way I understood the Priesthood before Pres. Nelson's talk, Spiritual Treasures, and all the study I have done since that time to understand what he wants the sisters to know.  

One of my favorite prophets was Ezra Taft Benson, I can almost hear his voice when I think of his words telling us to trust the current prophet because he has TNT: Today's News Today.  So any views I held in the past which are inconsistent with the most recent counsel from Pres. Nelson, I'll happily put aside for new ideas.  With that in mind---not trying to change YOUR opinion, but mostly for the other women/sisters reading this thread.  I'll share some of the quotes from Pres. Nelson that changed my thinking...

"How I yearn for you to understand that the restoration of the priesthood is just as relevant to you as a woman as it is to any man."

You said something about a woman using her husband's priesthood...I used to think that too, that's why i thought priesthood was "a man thing" and zoned out when leaders talked about it.  Too bad too, because now I'm playing catch up and realizing so many great messages of the past that apply to ME as well.

The heavens are just as open to women who are endowed with God’s power flowing from their priesthood covenants as they are to men who bear the priesthood.

He goes on to say that if we truly understand that it will CHANGE YOUR LIFE.  So true!!!  So true!!!  It is changing mine already.  That's why I'm so excited to talk to other sisters about this.  

My favorite part of his talk is this...

Now, you might be saying to yourself, “This sounds wonderful, but how do I do it? How do I draw the Savior’s power into my life?”

You won’t find this process spelled out in any manual. The Holy Ghost will be your personal tutor as you seek to understand what the Lord would have you know and do.

Sisters, do you see what he has given us here?  No manual, and no man...will teach us how to use the priesthood power WE have been endowed with.

We will learn that from the Holy Ghost.  In my experience, the Holy Ghost teaches me after I have done my homework. which in this case means rereading Pres. Nelson's talk, reading other talks about women and the priesthood, reading the scriptures, particualrly the ones Pres. Nelson, but also reading the Book of Mormon brings the Spirit more into my life.  Next, I read books, like Sister Gardner, Sis. Ulrich, and Sis. Dew wrote on this topic....after all that and during all that, the Holy Ghost has been teaching me how I might use His priesthood power.  God's priesthood power, not my husbands, God's.   But that part is personal and I won't share it here.   Perhaps the inspiration you receive will be similiar, or different...I really don't know...but the important thing is you will know it is right, nevermind what anyone else tries to tell you, because YOU received that direction from the Holy Ghost for YOUR life.  

6 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

No manual, and no man...will teach us how to use the priesthood power WE have been endowed with.

That sounds remarkably...sexist. You might consider that a man, President Nelson, did indeed teach you how to use Priesthood power. You might also want to consider that millions of men around the world are taught by their Priesthood leaders—who are men—how to use Priesthood power. Unless you think Priesthood power operates differently for women, or perhaps is an altogether different thing for women, than for men, I would think that men might have a very great deal to teach women about receiving and enabling Priesthood power.

Don't you agree?

Guest LiterateParakeet
11 minutes ago, Vort said:

That sounds remarkably...sexist. You might consider that a man, President Nelson, did indeed teach you how to use Priesthood power. You might also want to consider that millions of men around the world are taught by their Priesthood leaders—who are men—how to use Priesthood power. Unless you think Priesthood power operates differently for women, or perhaps is an altogether different thing for women, than for men, I would think that men might have a very great deal to teach women about receiving and enabling Priesthood power.

Don't you agree?

Vort, throughout my life, I have been told that when the scriptures say "men" or "man" they usually mean both men and women.  It's simply a shorthand.  Same applies here...I could have said "no person" or "no human" or "no man or woman"....No Pres. Nelson didn't teach me HOW to use it, HE told me to ask the Holy Ghost.  I'm taking Pres. Nelson's counsel to get further counsel on this subject, i.e. things Pres. Nelson didn't say...more light and knowledge...from the Holy Ghost.  

So nope, not sexist, unless you consider the scriptures sexist.