Disney wokeness

NeuroTypical

4 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Question for @LDSGator: How much Disney vs. the Right stuff do you think is just coming from local Florida news?  I mean, the topic has been a slow burn for me since Pocahontas and it's wokewashed* version of idealized native americans.  But listening to you talk about it, it seems like you are standing in a furnace where people have flamethrowers.  I just haven't been that hot about it, ever.  4 trips to Disney in my life, and we'd go for #5 if I had an extra $6 grand to throw at it.

* You like that term?  Wokewashed?  I just made it up.  Good replacement for whitewashed, IMO.

It’s a major issue down here. Like it or not, Disney (through taxes) funds a TON of our social services. We’re talking police, firefighters, teachers and much more. If Disney got up and left (which they won’t do) Florida would be in serious trouble. 

I didn’t even mention the tourists, Disney charities, the thousands of people they employ-and the hotels and restaurants around Orlando that employ more based on tourism. 

So yup. Major issue here. Understandably so. 

Edited by LDSGator

Just now, LDSGator said:

It’s a major issue down here. Like it or not, Disney (through taxes) funds a TON of our social services. We’re talking police, firefighters, teachers and much more. If Disney got up and left (which they won’t do) Florida would be in serious trouble. You are exactly right, it’s a massive issue down here. 

Orlando would certainly be impacted in a major way. I assume the rest of the state would feel only minor repercussions from losing Disneyworld. But maybe I'm wrong.

I want to cheer deSantis and boo Disney, purely for political reasons. And I fully believe that Disney is a deeply corrupt entity. But so is the state of Florida; that's the world we live in. Disney provides Florida north of a billion dollars per year in state and local taxes, and proudly report that they are the largest taxpaying entity in central Florida—a claim I do not doubt is true.

I hate Disney's corruption, their fakeness, that they trade on family values while often working against families, that they have shamelessly embraced the woke agenda, and that they effectively have a monopoly on family-oriented animated films. I hate the corruption of our government more, including Florida's state and local governments. "Republican" and "Democrat" become nothing more than rallying flags around which people can gather to cheer themselves and jeer at the duped fools in the other camp.

I know how to play the game. I'm often a participant.

I don't know what the real solution is, except to get my handcart in order, pack up, and move to Zion. Which I would do in a minute if invited. I likely might not survive the trip, but I would be happy to take that chance.

And should we die before our journey's through,
Happy day! All is well!
We then are free from toil and sorrow, too;
With the just we shall dwell!
But if our lives are spared again
To see the Saints their rest obtain,
Oh, how we'll make this chorus swell:
All is well! All is well!

Maybe that's the answer. Do my best, leave the rest to God, and realize that through turmoil and trouble, all is well.

7 minutes ago, Vort said:

But maybe I'm wrong.

You are. All of Florida would suffer. People generally (yes, there are exceptions) don’t stay in Orlando when they do Disney trips. They go all over the state. Kennedy Space Center, Everglades (which is five hours away from Orlando), Tampa, etc. 

7 minutes ago, Vort said:

Disney provides Florida north of a billion dollars per year in state and local taxes, and proudly report that they are the largest taxpaying entity in central Florida—a claim I do not doubt is true.

Correct. 

Edited by LDSGator

31 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

I believe they had an out lesbian mayor recently. You can tell that SLC has changed drastically in the last 30 years and I’m not even from there! 

You know, the funny thing is that I don't care much about whether the mayor is a lesbian. That is to say, lesbianism is a filthy, contemptible thing—but so is cheating on your wife, and these days you don't see a lot of outrage against male politicians who cheat on their wives. I'm talking less about LDS or other Christian religious values and more about what used to be good, old-fashioned, shared American values, things like respect for the law and understanding and honoring what it is supposed to mean to be an American. Politicians today, mostly but not solely Democrats, literally hate such traditional values. The Great American Experiment appears to be entering its final phases before going belly-up. (Don't you love mixed metaphors?) SLC doesn't look to be much if any different in that respect. Well, I mean, it's not Seattle or San Francisco, so I guess you Utahns can get all happy and proud about that.

During COVID lockdown, when cities were on fire and antifa was gaining momentum against 'fascist cops', I found a random TikTokker guy who spread a little peace.  He retold a chapter of American history from the '60's.  Kennedy had been assassinated, then the next Kennedy.  There were riots and burning and looting happening.  Nightly fights between cops and protesters/rioters.  And people back then were saying the exact same thing: 

12 minutes ago, Vort said:

The Great American Experiment appears to be entering its final phases before going belly-up.

Then, he mentioned, things quieted down, and we went on to have the following decades.  He said "It's been this bad before.  We're stronger than this.  It will get better".  

Is he right?  I dunno.  But I was thinking your thoughts in 2021, and here we are 2 years later.

21 minutes ago, Vort said:

You know, the funny thing is that I don't care much about whether the mayor is a lesbian. That is to say, lesbianism is a filthy, contemptible thing—but so is cheating on your wife, and these days you don't see a lot of outrage against male politicians who cheat on their wives. I'm talking less about LDS or other Christian religious values and more about what used to be good, old-fashioned, shared American values, things like respect for the law and understanding and honoring what it is supposed to mean to be an American. Politicians today, mostly but not solely Democrats, literally hate such traditional values. The Great American Experiment appears to be entering its final phases before going belly-up. (Don't you love mixed metaphors?) SLC doesn't look to be much if any different in that respect. Well, I mean, it's not Seattle or San Francisco, so I guess you Utahns can get all happy and proud about that.

I vaguely remember President Herman Grant (I forget his first name) being devastated over how Utahans voted to end prohibition. So it’s not the first time Utah has done something not aligned with the church. 

Edited by LDSGator

I think a lot of you don't realize that Salt Lake City does not encompass the entire population of Utah.  It doesn't even populate the majority of the county.  There are 1.9 million people in Salt Lake County.  SLC has a population of 199,000 (maybe a few thousand more.)

slcounty.jpg

Edited by mirkwood

On 8/10/2023 at 5:18 PM, mirkwood said:

I think a lot of you don't realize that Salt Lake City does not encompass the entire population of Utah.  It doesn't even populate the majority of the county.  There are 1.9 million people in Salt Lake County.  SLC has a population of 199,000 (maybe a few thousand more.)

slcounty.jpg

I've always considered everything from the oil refinery to Point of the Mountain to be "greater Salt Lake City".

Edited by Vort

2 hours ago, mirkwood said:

slcounty.jpg

The Twin Cities are like that as well. 3.7 million people, 1/5 of which live in Minneapolis and St Paul. That's why Minnesotans just call it "the Cities".

15 hours ago, mirkwood said:

That says that the county has about 50% of the population of the entire state.  I wonder if the City has a lot of jurisdiction over the County.

In Houston, we have Harris County and City of Houston (COH).  But Houston has what is known as "Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction" (ETJ).  This means that even though the County and cities surrounding Houston have to take care of things from an administrative stand point, COH has the power to demand other jurisdictions do things that benefit Houston proper.

Luckily, I live far enough away that Houston doesn't dictate much in my jurisdiction.

15 hours ago, mirkwood said:

slcounty.jpg

Non Floridians don’t grasp just how big Florida is either. Pensacola to Miami is a ten hour drive. 

16 hours ago, mirkwood said:
20 hours ago, Vort said:

SLC used to be Zion. These days, it looks to me more like Babylon.

I don't live in that heathen city!

I bet you'd love our stake, @Vort  Not SLC, that's for sure, and seriously good folk.  Though @mirkwood's ward could do with some improvement, so yeah, you should consider moving in and helping them out. :) :P   My ward, on the other hand, is practically perfect.

16 hours ago, Vort said:

I've always considered everything from the oil refinery to Point of the Mountain to be "larger Salt Lake City".

Those of us who live here don't.  Salt Lake valley, OK.  SLCounty, OK, but not part of the city.

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

I've had this conversation a dozen times:

"I grew up in Salt Lake"
"Really?  What part?"
"Holladay."

Person probably assumed outsider would know Salt Lake but not Holladay, so they kept it simple and said "Salt Lake".  I've done that just so I don't have to explain where my little part of Salt Lake County is.  But I definitely do not consider myself to live in (or even that close to) Salt Lake City.