Disney wokeness

NeuroTypical

2 hours ago, LDSGator said:

The drama around ESPN is a bit complicated. The right likes to claim it’s because Disney is “woke” but that just shows how little they grasp about business. Yup, companies lose money sometimes but no, that doesn’t mean Disney will file for bankruptcy. 

In reality, ESPN itself is very antiquated. It’s flirting with being the FM radio of the media world.   As a kid in the 90’s you had to rely on newspapers and Sportscenter for sports news. Now I can get sports scores (and analysis) 24/7 from any source I want. ESPN just isn’t needed anymore, and there is very little they can do about it. 

I like McCafee too, for the record. 

There was a time when ESPN was most known for showing sporting events that were often not broadcast on local-level television for some reason or another. 

Then they diversified their content into programs like Sportscenter, which people enjoyed. 

Then they diversified their content into sports documentaries and movies about sports, which had a mixed reception. 

Then they gave us ESPN 2 for more sports content, ESPN Radio for people who wanted their sports on the go, and ESPN Classic as an outlet for content from bygone eras, like AWA wrestling and classic football games. 

Then the corporate types took over. ESPN Classic went from basic cable to premium-tier cable, dooming it. ESPN slowly drifted away from covering sports to being spectacle in its own right. ESPN 2 was lost in the shuffle, while ESPN Radio found itself on AM frequencies in many markets despite AM falling so far out of favor that some car companies are now wanting to remove AM tuners from their vehicles to save on money. 

Then other sports channels emerged, including Sinclair Broadcasting's Stadium, which airs as a digital side band channel in many markets and so is available in those markets as a free over-the-air broadcast station. 

The issue is that ESPN lost its way and is now quite literally paying for it. 

On 7/5/2023 at 4:36 PM, Ironhold said:

ESPN 2 was lost in the shuffle, while ESPN Radio found itself on AM frequencies in many markets despite AM falling so far out of favor that some car companies are now wanting to remove AM tuners from their vehicles to save on money.

Meanwhile they add many expensive and unwanted electronic features into cars.  And from what I read they want kill switches in all cars by 2026 and software that spies on drivers monitoring them for being "impaired."

I listen to AM radio all the time still in my car.

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

So I just saw it.

My overall response....

Sure. It's fine.

On a scale of cold to hot it was bit tepid. But not terrible.

@Carborendum I haven't watched that yet, but was the Elaina Shaw character insufferable? Why yes, yes she was. But she was kind of written to be that way. And it was...fine...ish. I mean I think they could have done it better, cast it better, etc., The biggest complaint I had about her is she's this buck-ten scrawny female punching people and knocking them out. Yeah right!

Shad from Knights Watch is, himself, insufferable sometimes. He's SO nit-picky about every little thing. I mean that video you posted is over an hour and a half! Which is typical. I don't think I've ever finished a full video of his. Ripping every little imperfection apart, I'm sure. It's just a movie man! I get sick of the complaining when watching his stuff.

I have a few criticisms of the movie. Overall it was...what you might call an expected letdown. But it was better than Crystal Skull. Not as good as any of the others though. All the youtube haters calling it terrible though? Nah. It wasn't terrible. It was fine. My wife enjoyed it, I think, even more than I did. And I enjoyed it okay.

The other biggest thing I'd say as a critique is how humorless it was. I kind of expect laughs at an Indiana Jones movie. I think there was one or two semi-chuckles that were undeserved. It was pretty humorless overall.

7 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

The biggest complaint I had about her is she's this buck-ten scrawny female punching people and knocking them out. Yeah right!

Hollywood has been doing this for at least a generation now. The result I see is nieces who honestly believe they could go toe-to-toe with any man. The delusion is almost unbelievable. Did recent generations never figure out that Hollywood movies are just pretend?

27 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Not really a raving review.  I think there are better things to do with my time... like wasting energy typing on a keyboard on some hole-in-the-wall internet forum.:ph34r:

Yeah. It's worth a watch if it's on someone else's dime and you have nothing better to do.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

So, I had to share the commentary from Pitch Meeting.

So, an older Harrison Ford character has a crappy life, split up from his significant other, lost his son, teams up with a younger female character with a British accent who takes over the movie.

Yeah, I thought that might be cool.

<pause> This is a Star Wars.

OH!! Ok, I thought it sounded familiar.  But we own that, so it's ok.

Good Point.  Copy paste, baby!

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

So, I had to share the commentary from Pitch Meeting.

So, an older Harrison Ford character has a crappy life, split up from his significant other, lost his son, teams up with a younger female character with a British accent who takes over the movie.

Yeah, I thought that might be cool.

<pause> This is a Star Wars.

OH!! Ok, I thought it sounded familiar.  But we own that, so it's ok.

Good Point.  Copy paste, baby!

Rey is significantly less annoying as a character than Helena Shaw.

How I, personally, would have done an Indy 5?

Mutt (who has been recast) has been tapped for a "Monuments Men" type of organization and tasked with helping to recover the large sums of gold and treasures still missing after WWII. 

This leads to him discovering that one of the German scientists who is working on the Apollo program is in fact somehow still dealing in these items, and may be seeking something specific. 

Cue him calling the one person he can trust - his dad - to help him sort the matter. 

Just now, Ironhold said:

How I, personally, would have done an Indy 5?

Mutt (who has been recast) has been tapped for a "Monuments Men" type of organization and tasked with helping to recover the large sums of gold and treasures still missing after WWII. 

This leads to him discovering that one of the German scientists who is working on the Apollo program is in fact somehow still dealing in these items, and may be seeking something specific. 

Cue him calling the one person he can trust - his dad - to help him sort the matter. 

Indy 5 could have been solved being pretty much the same show it is but with one change:

Replace the Helena Shaw character with a man. Preferably Short Round. ;)

Man, that would have been awesome.

Short Round is awesome. Mutt was annoying.

1 minute ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Rey is significantly less annoying as a character than Helena Shaw.

I've spoken with several people over the last few years, and we're all in agreement that the trilogy would have been better had it been focused around *Finn* and him discovering his Force sensitivity. 

The Force Awakens... a Stormtrooper's conscience. 

He becomes... The Last Jedi... to be personally trained by Luke before Luke is forced to make a sacrifice to protect everyone else. 

However, Luke's sacrifice was not in vain, as Finn will help ensure The Rise of Skywalker's legacy by using his training to help protect the Jedi training facility and Luke's progeny. 

Just now, Ironhold said:

I've spoken with several people over the last few years, and we're all in agreement that the trilogy would have been better had it been focused around *Finn* and him discovering his Force sensitivity. 

The Force Awakens... a Stormtrooper's conscience. 

He becomes... The Last Jedi... to be personally trained by Luke before Luke is forced to make a sacrifice to protect everyone else. 

However, Luke's sacrifice was not in vain, as Finn will help ensure The Rise of Skywalker's legacy by using his training to help protect the Jedi training facility and Luke's progeny. 

Yeah. But I don't hate Rey as a character. I just hate that she's a Mary Sue. I agree with this though. Finn was a better character.

The worst of the three new characters was easily Poe though.

8 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

Hey, you know what would have made the trilogy even better.... Luke, Leia, and Han getting together again and being the heroes they were supposed to be.

This is why I’m very skeptical about reports that crowds at Disney are shrinking. This was taken during the fireworks display Saturday night. It was as busy as possible-pre covid crowds. 

The other picture was taken in the parking garage going to Universal. This is from the garage, which is sort of far from the actual entrance from the park. 

IMG_5651.jpeg

IMG_5585.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 3:17 PM, NeuroTypical said:

There's a bit of a difference in refusing to ban people from parks for being gay, and producing children's entertainment basically training kids how to crossdress without it being awkward.  Dontcha think?

Yes, Disney is a soulless corporation, solely invested in making bucks.  It, and so many other businesses, have concluded that radical social woketivism is a good way to do that.  They're right, it is.  This is a thread about how corporations have recognized an extreme radical change in culture.  It's not just harping on Disney.

Most Disney content is filled with Woke indoctrination.

• 2 weeks later...

14 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

That's due in large part to Disney rapidly increasing prices at the parks, including food (smaller portions, higher prices) and other services. 

Nope. It’s due to Disney still being popular. Sorry. 

I know it’s a bitter pill to swallow, but yes, Disney is doing fine. Also, if they were losing money, everyone on the right would be celebrating. 

Edited by LDSGator

4 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Me, on the right, thinking about Disney: 

Am I allowed to be on the right if I like Disney? 

I say that in jest of course, but it’s also really depressing. Growing up it was always the right that “allowed” you to have dissenting views. Leftists were the ones that demanded lockstep obedience. Now, both sides just scream at you if you dare to break from their orthodoxy. 

Question for @LDSGator: How much Disney vs. the Right stuff do you think is just coming from local Florida news?  I mean, the topic has been a slow burn for me since Pocahontas and it's wokewashed* version of idealized native americans.  But listening to you talk about it, it seems like you are standing in a furnace where people have flamethrowers.  I just haven't been that hot about it, ever.  4 trips to Disney in my life, and we'd go for #5 if I had an extra $6 grand to throw at it.

* You like that term?  Wokewashed?  I just made it up.  Good replacement for whitewashed, IMO.