Loose House Cats

Traveler

Just now, LDSGator said:

I go a step further. If you have a very smart dog like a border collie you really should be herding sheep or other livestock. Both you and the dog will much much happier. Yes, there are exceptions-but really intelligent dogs need a job to do. 

Or doing those dog competitions with all the obstacles - they love that.

My wife is a souped up mega-version of an animal trainer.  It's not incorrect to call her an "animal behavior modificationist" or some such fancy name.  

She tells me (and I've seen watching her work) that about 80% of training a dog, involves training the owner.  You can ship your dog off to training camp and spend $10,000 to instill training and discipline perfectly, and within a month all that can go away if the owner doesn't have the gumption or smarts to actually apply what the dog learned.  

So many people have so many incorrect understandings of what makes pets work.  Breeds are different, individual animals can be different, ways to train and control your animal are varied.  Frail submissive foo-foo doggies need little more than a stern look, and usually do best with positive reinforcement.  Hardened criminal large dogs with personality flaws might need to be swung by a pinch collar around their neck, with a shock collar strong enough to put Hulk Hogan on his butt.  They respond to discipline, strength, and love in different ways.

5 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

My wife is a souped up mega-version of an animal trainer.  It's not incorrect to call her an "animal behavior modificationist" or some such fancy name.  

Perhaps @Carborendum needs to hire her to do some Strider and Carb modifications... :D

1 hour ago, LDSGator said:

Is It a challenge getting a cat in a harness? 

It was until his first trip outside. :D  He hated both harnesses and the collar I tried.  Once he'd been outside, it got easier and easier - he knows that the harness is the price for time outside, so he tolerates it, and that makes it a lot easier.  Now getting it on and off is a lot faster since he doesn't fight it as much.  He still gets annoyed when I have to adjust the neck strap (no quick release, so I have to loosen it to get it on / off and tighten it so he can't get out of the harness outside).

That said, the people who designed the harness (which is the better of the two for fit) never tried to put one on a cat that wasn't already accustomed to them.  And, I'm convinced they're designed for cheapness and for future sales of larger / different models.  The one he's wearing would be perfect if it had a quick-release for the neck and an adjustable-length back-strap (the strap between the shoulder blades).  I'm actually considering using my sewing machine (which has been used once in like 2 decades) - I'm sure I can get nylon strapping, and I know I can get 3/8" quick release buckles.  Then I could modify the harness to be perfect...

I might also try a "tactical harness" - which has the easy on/off features, just not sure if it's long enough - Klaw is long and skinny, and it seems like most of these harnesses are made for more stout kitties... :unsure:

I've formally made a declaration in my house.  Strider is officially an outdoor cat.  He has chewed through several pieces of electronics.  I had no idea until this morning that the damage was perpetrated by the feline.  I thought it got caught in the vacuum cleaner or something.

On 7/13/2023 at 3:57 PM, NeuroTypical said:

She tells me (and I've seen watching her work) that about 80% of training a dog, involves training the owner.  You can ship your dog off to training camp and spend $10,000 to instill training and discipline perfectly, and within a month all that can go away if the owner doesn't have the gumption or smarts to actually apply what the dog learned.  

So many people have so many incorrect understandings of what makes pets work.  Breeds are different, individual animals can be different, ways to train and control your animal are varied.  Frail submissive foo-foo doggies need little more than a stern look, and usually do best with positive reinforcement.  Hardened criminal large dogs with personality flaws might need to be swung by a pinch collar around their neck, with a shock collar strong enough to put Hulk Hogan on his butt.  They respond to discipline, strength, and love in different ways.

I am convinced that there is a difference between “teaching” and “training”.   It is my understanding that the more intelligent the subject, the more “teaching” techniques are effective and the more the subject will “train” themselves (generally speaking or to a point).  Part of the difference, I believe, is in how the brain is elastic and wires itself in response to stimulation.  Conditioned responses, I believe, are the result of training.   To me teaching required cognization and often some degree of analysis by the subject.   Thus, you teach someone mathematics and you train someone to ride a bicycle.

As wonderful and fun as animals are – humans are creatures in the image and likeness of G-d and as such are more important.  And yet it seems to me that there is a divine connection that draws goodness, love and respect for all living things.  Not a narcissistic desire of self-gratification but a respect and understanding for creatures that fulfill a balance in nature – to fulfill something more important and enduring than providing temporary comforts to a human that may or may not deserve it.

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

I've formally made a declaration in my house.  Strider is officially an outdoor cat.  He has chewed through several pieces of electronics.  I had no idea until this morning that the damage was perpetrated by the feline.  I thought it got caught in the vacuum cleaner or something.

I removed, re-routed, and otherwise protected all the cords I could before and just after bringing Klaw home.  I'm here almost all the time, so I can make the "don't do that" noise to train him out of chewing the cords - he doesn't do it anymore.  I also got him some chew toys - turns out 3+ months is when they start losing their kitten teeth and having something soft to chew on during that time helps.  The puppies were worse, but we had more electrical cables back then.

Sounds like Strider might have done better with a buddy - two kittens often keep each other out of trouble because they play with each other rather than looking for things to play with.  Or a barn cat - which might be more what you wanted anyway.  They seem to have genetic memory or something that makes them only want to be outside.

19 minutes ago, zil2 said:

I removed, re-routed, and otherwise protected all the cords I could before and just after bringing Klaw home.  I'm here almost all the time, so I can make the "don't do that" noise to train him out of chewing the cords - he doesn't do it anymore.  I also got him some chew toys - turns out 3+ months is when they start losing their kitten teeth and having something soft to chew on during that time helps.  The puppies were worse, but we had more electrical cables back then.

Sounds like Strider might have done better with a buddy - two kittens often keep each other out of trouble because they play with each other rather than looking for things to play with.  Or a barn cat - which might be more what you wanted anyway.  They seem to have genetic memory or something that makes them only want to be outside.

With five kids in the house (two are still too young to date) that isn't going to happen.  Of course, this means that I'm at least as negligent a parent as I am a pet owner.

Meh.  I guess I'm headed straight to hell for that.

17 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

With five kids in the house (two are still too young to date) that isn't going to happen.  Of course, this means that I'm at least as negligent a parent as I am a pet owner.

Meh.  I guess I'm headed straight to hell for that.

:) Yes, it doesn't work for everyone - having multiple people in the house changes everything.  I'd say you're more likely heaven-bound than hell-bound.  I'm sure you, your family, and Strider will figure out something that works eventually.

4 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Rumor has it @Carborendumswitched to a wireless mouse after he absentmindedly chewed through the old mouse’s cord.

19 hours ago, Carborendum said:

The amount of earphones I had to go through when raising my two kittens. 

I am currently figuring out how to introduce an 8 month old German Shepherd to an old territorial cat. It's now day 3 and peace talks are ongoing but tentative. The cat seems to have claimed up stairs while the Shepherd has claimed the livingroom. 

16 hours ago, mordorbund said:

Rumor has it @Carborendumswitched to a wireless mouse after he absentmindedly chewed through the old mouse’s cord.

What is really funny about this is that I did the opposite.  I broke a wireless mouse as I was changing batteries.  I've never had a wireless mouse again.

2 hours ago, Vort said:

EXERCISE FOR CAT LOVERS

1. google.com

2. "cats"

3. image.png.eca70b2936230780d3a2d79bbddcd148.png

4. Click screen

You are welcome.

:D Yes!  Learned about that a couple years ago.

"dogs" does something similar.

The "Esc"ape key gets you out of it on Windows.  I forget how to get out of it on a phone.

Edited by zil2