Barbie Movie is Evil

Emmanuel Goldstein

I confess to watching this movie with my young adult daughters and wife. I even wore pink shorts and a blue pullover shirt (I probably looked more like Ken's dad than the man himself). Sure, the movie could be viewed as liberal extreme feminism. However, I suspect that there was a lot of intentional stereotyping going on. Most of the key players were more caricatures than serious representations. With that mindset, the movie was fun and funny. The political commentary might have been an ocean wide, but it was not even an inch deep. 

2 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

I even wore pink shorts and a blue pullover shirt (I probably looked more like Ken's dad than the man himself).

Yay!  So I'm not the only one who cosplayed to Barbie.  Except I had white pants and a pink shirt.  I got a wink of approval from one of the ticket takers, I don't think anyone else noticed or cared.

Most of the key players were more caricatures than serious representations. With that mindset, the movie was fun and funny. The political commentary might have been an ocean wide, but it was not even an inch deep. 

Agreed, and very well put.

Edited by NeuroTypical

3 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

I confess to watching this movie with my young adult daughters and wife. I even wore pink shorts and a blue pullover shirt (I probably looked more like Ken's dad than the man himself). Sure, the movie could be viewed as liberal extreme feminism. However, I suspect that there was a lot of intentional stereotyping going on. Most of the key players were more caricatures than serious representations. With that mindset, the movie was fun and funny. The political commentary might have been an ocean wide, but it was not even an inch deep. 

I quite enjoyed the movie. I found quite a few layers of satire going on.

Not nearly the depth of political mongers I feared.

I also feel anyone offended by it was also offended by these guys:

image.png

45 minutes ago, Backroads said:

I haven’t seen it and have no desire to, but I think the people “offended” by the Barbie movie aren’t really offended by it. They just want attention, or to show off how moral they are, etc. Usual reasons. 

Edited by LDSGator

4 hours ago, Backroads said:

I quite enjoyed the movie. I found quite a few layers of satire going on.

Not nearly the depth of political mongers I feared.

image.png

I have no idea who those guys are.

I have not seen the Barbie movie.

I had a daughter who went to see it with my granddaughter (her daughter).  Supposedly they loved it.

I don't really know anything else about the movie.  I heard the word Barbie and lost all interest.  I know my little girls played with Barbies when they were little.  That's about the extent of my knowledge.

I thought it was just a movie about the toys (Similar to other movies based on toys and such).  From some of the comments it sounds like it was something more??

8 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I don't really know anything else about the movie.  I heard the word Barbie and lost all interest.  I know my little girls played with Barbies when they were little.  That's about the extent of my knowledge.

I thought it was just a movie about the toys (Similar to other movies based on toys and such).  From some of the comments it sounds like it was something more??

The movie openly deals with topics like sexualized capitalism, the patriarchy, toxic masculinity, Barbie's impact on the feminist movement, radicalizing the supreme court, harmful social change, the Mattel corporation's intents and impacts, weaponized mansplaining, and even fascism.   

As @prisonchaplain said, the commentary is an ocean wide (literally taking up the entire movie), but not an inch deep.

*spoiler* Barbie breaks up with Ken, and he has to learn to deal with it.

Edited by NeuroTypical

8 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Ok, I wish to know who these guys are, that I may determine whether or not I am offended by them.   Got link?

They are the Manataurs. A clan of manly minotaurs.

Most convenient clip

Edited by Backroads

On 8/16/2023 at 4:05 PM, prisonchaplain said:

With that mindset, the movie was fun and funny.

I'm sure it was.  But I remember how I took satire as a child.  And regardless of how ridiculous things were, the mindset of a child takes a lot of it in as truth.

On 8/16/2023 at 4:05 PM, prisonchaplain said:

The political commentary might have been an ocean wide, but it was not even an inch deep. 

That's a good summary.  I only listened to a couple of minutes to realize he does the same thing with all the videos that I've seen of him.  

He says some things that are actually true.  But he's basically making mountains out of molehills.  Is the movie politically radical? Satire or not, yes it is.  Is it evil?  Well, if you consider the woke movement a representation of Satan in the modern world... Well, I'll let you decide.

There is a complaint about so many movies and sitcoms of the last 50 years--that they make fathers look stupid, backwards, or unnecessary. Some have made professions out of presentations suggesting that all of this was intentional, anti-Christ, etc. When presented that way I see it. Compile enough similar garbage together and it looks like a conspiracy. 

What I would like to see--and have seen to a small extent--is believers doing better. I love Praise & Worship music and believe it's better than the evil Rock 'N Roll that I was warned about as a young person in church. Likewise, a few faith-based movies have really stood out in recent years.

Maybe Barbie Movie was a cunning conspiracy to make young girls distrust men. Maybe it was meant to push a few to consider immoral sexual alternatives. Or, imho more likely, perhaps it was some rather liberal writers that wrote their perception of things and got a movie made. Either way, we do better when we make better and patronize that which is better. I would never tell anyone that they must or even should watch the Barbie Movie. But, when my adult daughters asked me to go with them I got dolled up (as Ken) and went along. I suspect that my being in the audience helped them view the movie from somewhat lest accepting eyes.