Ether 1: 4

askandanswer

4 Therefore I do not write those things which transpired from the adays of Adam until that time; but they are had upon the plates; and whoso findeth them, the same will have power that he may get the full account.

This verse is at the start of Moroni’s abridgment of the Jaredite record. In this verse, Moroni is explaining why he chooses to not give a full account of the Jaredite record. Part of his reason is his believe that some of the content of the Jaredite plates is had among the Jews, so presumably he doesn’t feel the need to repeat that information in his abridgement. And then he makes the above statement which I take to mean that Moroni is saying that whoso ever will find the plates will have power to get the full account.

My understanding is that Joseph Smith found the plates where Moroni told him they would be, but that a part of them was sealed and he had no power to translate the sealed portion. Does that mean that what Moroni said in verse 4 was not accurate?

I don’t think Joseph Smith had access to the sealed 2/3 portion.

I think he had the same experience as the Brother of Jared as well as many other great prophets.  - A vision of the history of this Earth and its inhabitants.

Joseph didn’t need to read the book.  He saw the movie.

Ether 4:13-15

2 Ne 4:25

Edited by mikbone

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Can you give a reference for that?  I don't know of any account that says that Joseph ever had possession of the 24 plates.

ummm, I think Moroni actually forgot to mention that bit.

Actually, I've made an assumption for which there is no foundation. I'd assumed that the Jaredite plates were part of, or contained within, the gold plates, but I now understand that that is not the case. 

3 And as I suppose that the afirst part of this record, which speaks concerning the creation of the world, and also of Adam, and an account from that time even to the great btower, and whatsoever things transpired among the children of men until that time, is had among the Jews—

4 Therefore I do not write those things which transpired from the adays of Adam until that time; but they are had upon the plates; and whoso findeth them, the same will have power that he may get the full account.

It's found in the Bible.  You can also read the Bible and find the account.  With the Spirit and Revelation it is possible that more could be revealed or has been revealed. 

4 hours ago, askandanswer said:

This verse is at the start of Moroni’s abridgment of the Jaredite record. In this verse, Moroni is explaining why he chooses to not give a full account of the Jaredite record. Part of his reason is his believe that some of the content of the Jaredite plates is had among the Jews, so presumably he doesn’t feel the need to repeat that information in his abridgement. And then he makes the above statement which I take to mean that Moroni is saying that whoso ever will find the plates will have power to get the full account.

My understanding is that Joseph Smith found the plates where Moroni told him they would be, but that a part of them was sealed and he had no power to translate the sealed portion. Does that mean that what Moroni said in verse 4 was not accurate?

Mosiah 28 describes how King Mosiah, a seer, translated and wrote them down for his people, and then gave all the plates (brass, gold, large and small) and his other records to Alma for safekeeping. Most if not all of these materials ended up in Mormon and Moroni's hands, so when Moroni writes this verse 4, he may well have had Mosiah's translation in his possession as well as the 24 plates. However, Jospeh Smith may or may not have found the 24 plates apart from the plates he received from Moroni in 1827 and translated himself (they we not included in that transaction), but if he did, he certainly had power "that he may get the full account" -- "may" being the operative modal verb, indicating the uncertain possibility of whether Jospeh did or didn't decide to peek and get the full account.