Problems with church

prisonchaplain

I don’t think the average LDS needs the spiritual protection any of us here. Isn’t it sort of snotty and condescending of us to think they do?

Most don’t fall for the :: ahem :: “teachings” of Denver Snuffer or that crazy lady who killed her kids. Same with political issues. Go to a ward in Utah and start arguing for gay marriage. You probably won’t get very far. 

Edited by LDSGator

39 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

I don’t think the average LDS needs the spiritual protection any of us here. Isn’t it sort of snotty and condescending of us to think they do?

Most don’t fall for the :: ahem :: “teachings” of Denver Snuffer or that crazy lady who killed her kids. Same with political issues. Go to a ward in Utah and start arguing for gay marriage. You probably won’t get very far. 

I think it's a fine line, particularly with youth.  The example you provide is extreme, I'm more concerned about the incremental corruption.   I feel this is more of a concern for the youth in my area than it is for the adults.  

3 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I think it's a fine line, particularly with youth.  The example you provide is extreme, I'm more concerned about the incremental corruption.   I feel this is more of a concern for the youth in my area than it is for the adults.  

I get that. The “death by a thousand cuts thing.” I don’t fully agree but I understand where you are coming from. 

4 hours ago, LDSGator said:

I get that. The “death by a thousand cuts thing.” I don’t fully agree but I understand where you are coming from. 

I'll provide an example.  A family moved into our ward for a brief period.  They had one girl in YW that was a modern feminist.  She wore excessive dark make up, short skirts, plunging necklines, used inappropriate language, and teetered on the line of anti-church talk.    She was extremely friendly and all the girls liked her.   Over time, a few of the other girls started to emulate her a little.   She moved back out of the ward (they weren't here long) and things returned to normal.  That girl has since gone full-blown anti.

I'm not sure what the right answer is in a situation like that.   

5 hours ago, LDSGator said:

What exactly is your definition of spiritual protection? As Pres Nelson has stated: "in coming days, it will not be possible to survive spiritually without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost." To me that is spiritual protection and like he says, without it we all will fall.

16 minutes ago, laronius said:

What exactly is your definition of spiritual protection? As Pres Nelson has stated: "in coming days, it will not be possible to survive spiritually without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost." To me that is spiritual protection and like he says, without it we all will fall.

I’ve actually been thinking about that! Of course I think we should pray for one another. Like 99% of us here I think prayer works, have asked for prayers, given them-all that. So I don’t know what exactly “spiritual protection” really entails. I totally agree with your President Nelson quote. 

How’s this-I have great confidence in the saints to be smart enough to see false teachings. Even young people.

8 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

I’ve actually been thinking about that! Of course I think we should pray for one another. Like 99% of us here I think prayer works, have asked for prayers, given them-all that. So I don’t know what exactly “spiritual protection” really entails. I totally agree with your President Nelson quote. 

How’s this-I have great confidence in the saints to be smart enough to see false teachings. Even young people.

We also need to remember this:

22 For in those days there shall also arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders, insomuch, that, if possible, they shall deceive the very elect, who are the elect according to the covenant.

I think as time goes on the "obviousness" of Satan's attacks is going to get a bit fuzzy. But like you I too have great hopes for us a people. 

19 hours ago, Ironhold said:

I live in Coryell County, which is by Fort Hood / Fort Cavazos in what is known as the "Heart" of Texas. 

There's not a single publicly-accessible charging station in the entire county. 

The nearest station I'm aware of is at a car dealership in Temple, in neighboring Bell County. 

A grocery store chain is in talks to come to Killeen, which is just on the other side of Hood from us, and they'll have charging stations in their parking lot. But no immediate plans for anything closer at this time.

I had no idea where Copperas Cove was.  But when you mentioned Killeen my eyes lit up.  I missed a chance to meet with you.  I just had a project at the MGC plant there.

Maybe if I am on another field trip we could meet up.  I'll treat you to lunch or dinner.

Off Topic.

But on the thoughts of Texas...

I expect I'll be traveling to Texas this coming April in order to see the Eclipse (everyone, pray that it is clear enough so that we can actually see the eclipse while there). 

I'm not sure whether I'll be coming in from the East side via Houston yet, or coming in from the North via Oklahoma yet though. 

On 11/3/2023 at 3:39 PM, JohnsonJones said:

Off Topic.

But on the thoughts of Texas...

I expect I'll be traveling to Texas this coming April in order to see the Eclipse (everyone, pray that it is clear enough so that we can actually see the eclipse while there). 

I'm not sure whether I'll be coming in from the East side via Houston yet, or coming in from the North via Oklahoma yet though. 

What city are you looking to view it in? 

Many cities have already seen their available hotel rooms booked for the period, limiting what accommodations are out there, so if you haven't booked you'll need to book now. Even then, it might be too late. 

11 hours ago, Ironhold said:

What city are you looking to view it in? 

Many cities have already seen their available hotel rooms booked for the period, limiting what accommodations are out there, so if you haven't booked you'll need to book now. Even then, it might be too late. 

Supposedly my Son-in-Law booked us in a Hotel in Killeen, TX but, though the reservation is in place, it didn't require him to prepay for it.  I am a little concerned about that as getting out there with no room would be a little off-putting...to say the least. 

2 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Supposedly my Son-in-Law booked us in a Hotel in Killeen, TX but, though the reservation is in place, it didn't require him to prepay for it.  I am a little concerned about that as getting out there with no room would be a little off-putting...to say the least. 

Uh...

Where in Killeen?

The nicer, newer, safer hotels are along US 190 / I-14 and parts south. These are the actual tourist hotels for people traveling the interstate or coming to town for conventions & the like, so they're generally in better shape.

If the hotel is in between Business 190 and US 190 / I-14, you're taking some chances. They're a bit on the dodgy side, and one hotel actually lost its franchise. (The Stratus Suites along Fort Hood Street used to be a Best Western.)

If it's *on* Business 190 or north of it, then you'll want to take a few moments to re-read your various insurance policies. Most of these places were built when Business 190 was Highway 190, and so they're older. The loss of highway-based traffic has put many of these facilities in decline, and so they're not particularly concerned about who or what their clientele is when someone does come through the door. 

12 hours ago, Ironhold said:

Uh...

Where in Killeen?

The nicer, newer, safer hotels are along US 190 / I-14 and parts south. These are the actual tourist hotels for people traveling the interstate or coming to town for conventions & the like, so they're generally in better shape.

If the hotel is in between Business 190 and US 190 / I-14, you're taking some chances. They're a bit on the dodgy side, and one hotel actually lost its franchise. (The Stratus Suites along Fort Hood Street used to be a Best Western.)

If it's *on* Business 190 or north of it, then you'll want to take a few moments to re-read your various insurance policies. Most of these places were built when Business 190 was Highway 190, and so they're older. The loss of highway-based traffic has put many of these facilities in decline, and so they're not particularly concerned about who or what their clientele is when someone does come through the door. 

It looks to be at one of the Marriott locations in Killeen, one of those which sponsors military or is friendly to military. It looks to be near the junction of I-14 and 195 I think.

22 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

It looks to be at one of the Marriott locations in Killeen, one of those which sponsors military or is friendly to military. It looks to be near the junction of I-14 and 195 I think.

OK yeah, those are all fairly new, having been built in the last 20 years. 

If you follow the Central Texas Expressway (that is, the service road) a little eastward, you'll get to the intersection with Trimmier Road. 

The intersection itself is home to both a CVS and a Walgreen's. 

If you go north at the intersection with Trimmier, you'll pass a Red Lobster on your way to Mary Jane Drive. Turn left and you'll eventually come to the stake center. 

If you go south at the intersection with Trimmier, you'll come to Lowe's Boulevard. Turning right will take you to the H-E-B Plus grocery store, which has a gas station, a Whataburger, a UPS store, and a Freebirds Burritos. Turning left will take you past a Wal-Mart Supercenter, a Kohl's, an Office Depot, and a Lowe's before you reach W. S. Young Drive. Going straight through that intersection will take you to the Cielo Vista shopping center, which has an Aldi's, a PetSmart, an Ollie's discount store, and an Academy Sports. 

Going straight through the Trimmier intersection will take you past a shopping center with a Hobby Lobby, Dollar Tree, and Tractor Supply as well as a Wendy's and an In-And-Out Burger. 

The Killeen Mall is on the north side of the highway along W.S. Young, but has been *heavily* changed over the last 10+ years. Sears, Beall's, and the movie theater are gone, as are many stores & concessions that used to be there. However, there's a Chuck E. Cheese where the theater used to stand, while Hallmark and J. C. Penney are still there inside the main facility.

edit - 

As far as Fort Hood Street / Highway 195 itself goes? 

Going north will take you past a shopping center (on your right) that has a Big Lots and a supermarket called O-Mart that specializes in Asian goods. Following 195 north across the railroad tracks will take you past Book 'Stan, one of the two comic book shops in the area. 

Going south will take you through a rather... colorful part of Killeen, but if you turn right on Stan Schleuter heading towards Clear Creek Road you'll see a recently developed area with multiple retail outlets and America's Heroes Comics, the other local comic shop. 

Edited by Ironhold