Jordon Peterson

Traveler

Recently while doing some research on the internet, I came across an individual, Jordon Peterson, quite by accident.  I found his opinions and expressions rather intriguing – and for me - logical.   For those that are not familiar with Jordon he has interesting insights into discussions and the importance of challenges in discussions, especially expressing differing opinions and listening to other opinions.  What I found most interesting is his idea that if we do not like an opinion, we out to express that notion and why.

What he did not seem to cover is how to resolve heated discussions.  He seems to have the notion that we need to learn to deal with difficult discussions.  This resonates with me but with the spiritual caveat that when we become angry, we lose a spiritual light of truth.  I believe we must learn two things from disagreements.  One is that we should love others. (D&C 121:43).  That when we show love towards others we do not express disagreements with anger.

The other thing that is even more difficult is to learn to listen to those with whom we disagree.  This is difficult for me because it seems that if I ask any questions to clarify what I think I understand – it seems to upset those I am trying to understand.

Here is an example clip:

The Traveler

You're late to the game, @Traveler! :)  Some of Peterson's insights into scripture (not so much doctrine, but rather how to abstract it into life lessons) have been indispensable examples for me so that I can now abstract all on my own - I was dense before.  And as far as his logic - it's more solid than any other person I've ever heard make an argument these days.  Maybe even as solid as Hugh Nibley's.  I'm convinced he means it when he says he spent years studying [whatever topic] trying to figure it out - because of how solid his explanations are.  And for some of his speeches, it's clear to me that the Spirit is teaching him.  I often think that if he were to learn the restored gospel, he'd be unstoppable (which means Satan would have him killed, I suppose).  Anywho, yeah, don't always agree, but when the topic is interesting, I really like listening to him.

Welcome to the JP Party Bus, @Traveler!  Always room for one more!

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

What he did not seem to cover is how to resolve heated discussions. 

Peterson is, first and foremost, a trained and practicing clinical psychologist.  So he's got lots of advice for individuals wishing to improve themselves and not succumb to bitterness/hate/etc, and he probably gives general advice to people in one of his books.  (I haven't read any, so can't point you in the right direction.)

I'm guessing that on a cultural level, he'd opine about how all of human history has always included heated discussions, so it's not a problem that anyone can actually solve culture-wide, although they can solve it in themselves. 

I like his thoughts on American diversity from the viewpoint of a Canadian:

https://i.imgur.com/lkU9JsV.mp4

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Welcome to the JP Party Bus, @Traveler!  Always room for one more!

Peterson is, first and foremost, a trained and practicing clinical psychologist.  So he's got lots of advice for individuals wishing to improve themselves and not succumb to bitterness/hate/etc, and he probably gives general advice to people in one of his books.  (I haven't read any, so can't point you in the right direction.)

I'm guessing that on a cultural level, he'd opine about how all of human history has always included heated discussions, so it's not a problem that anyone can actually solve culture-wide, although they can solve it in themselves. 

I like his thoughts on American diversity from the viewpoint of a Canadian:

https://i.imgur.com/lkU9JsV.mp4

I don't think he's actually been practicing since 2017.  I think he has also retired from being a professor, but still operates on a per quota basis occasionally.  He is still licensed though.