Coming eclipse

carlimac

On 2/29/2024 at 12:24 PM, laronius said:

In D&C 88 it's after the missionaries are called home that the other forms of "testimony" will happen.

I thought that happened during covid. I know the mission I am living in shrunk to less than 20% of its normal size during covid. 

29 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

I thought that happened during covid. I know the mission I am living in shrunk to less than 20% of its normal size during covid. 

Some people have indeed said that was a sign but as of yet the earthly/heavenly testimonies haven't started so that may have just been a trial run.

5 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

How can an eclipse be a sign of the end of times when eclipses have always occurred throughout history?

Hear ye, hear ye, in the end of days something will happen that......has happened since the earth, sun and moon were created and put in their orbits. But....you know...THIS time it's a sign....

I don't have a dog in the fight but for those who do believe it, it's not just about this eclipse but this one in conjunction with the one that happened seven years ago. For LDS believers the point where the two paths cross being in the area of Adam-ondi-Ahman gives, in their mind, additional reason to suspect something more important is happening.

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

This reply isn't really related to what I said. I don't disagree with any of it. God certainly could use an eclipse as a sign. I just don't think it's useful to apply "sign" to an event in reverse. The prophesy of the sign generally comes first, like you said. An event happening without the prophesy, particularly, when it's a natural common event... I don't find a lot of use in calling that a sign.

Im not saying the this eclipse is signaling the second coming.

But I do agree with Alma in Alma 30:44.

And the fact that a total eclipse only occurs because the moon and the sun have the same apparent diameter (Sun actually is 400x bigger and 400x further away) is a sign that the Lord loves us.  And He has given us the opportunity to witness this spectacular event.

On 2/29/2024 at 1:35 PM, Ironhold said:

The solar eclipse here in Texas. 

Hotel rooms were being booked in the middle of last year. 

I have a room booked.  I am going to see it.  It may be the last chance I have to see it in the US during my life!

@laronius said

I don't have a dog in the fight but for those who do believe it, it's not just about this eclipse but this one in conjunction with the one that happened seven years ago. For LDS believers the point where the two paths cross being in the area of Adam-ondi-Ahman gives, in their mind, additional reason to suspect something more important is happening.

Really?!  I didn't know that.  That does raise some interesting thoughts and questions I suppose. 

Edited by JohnsonJones

3 hours ago, askandanswer said:

No, all the missionaries will be called home when that sign occurs.

Edited by mirkwood

Here's the actual quote about the missionaries.

Heber C. Kimball, Deseret News, May 23, 1931.

“An army of Elders will be sent to the four quarters of the earth to search out the righteous and warn the wicked of what is coming.  All kinds of religions will be started and miracles performed that will deceive the very elect if such were possible.  Our sons and daughters must live pure lives so as to be prepared for what is coming. 

After a while the gentiles will gather to this place by the thousands, and Salt Lake City will be classed among the wicked cities of the world.  A spirit of speculation and extravagance will take possession of the Saints, and the result will be financial bondage. 

Persecution comes next and all true Latter-Day Saints will be tested to the limit.  Many will apostatize and others will stand still, not knowing what to do.  Darkness will cover the earth and gross darkness the minds of the people.  The judgments of God will be poured out upon the wicked to the extent that our Elders from far and near will be called home, or in other words the gospel will be taken from the Gentiles and later on be carried to the Jews. 

The western boundary of the State of Missouri will be swept so clean of its inhabitants that as President Young tells us, ‘When you return to that place, there will not be left so much as a yellow dog to wag his tail.’ 

Before that day comes, however, the Saints will be put to tests that will try the integrity of the best of them.  The pressure will become so great that the more righteous among them will cry unto the Lord day and night until deliverance comes. 

7 hours ago, laronius said:

For LDS believers the point where the two paths cross being in the area of Adam-ondi-Ahman gives, in their mind, additional reason to suspect something more important is happening.

IMG_0344.thumb.jpeg.3252343500cdcb7bb933e690322a4916.jpeg

IMG_0343.jpeg.6cf6e04031b343315bcc0fddb2b0c549.jpeg

IMG_0342.thumb.jpeg.53cccdda4fe631d00e4187c35ce59ef0.jpeg

The 2017 eclipse went thru Adam-ondi-ahman.  But the 2024 one does not.   And being close to totality ain’t like horseshoes & hand grenades. 

If you are not in totality you totally miss the celestial event.

8 hours ago, mikbone said:

IMG_0344.thumb.jpeg.3252343500cdcb7bb933e690322a4916.jpeg

IMG_0343.jpeg.6cf6e04031b343315bcc0fddb2b0c549.jpeg

IMG_0342.thumb.jpeg.53cccdda4fe631d00e4187c35ce59ef0.jpeg

The 2017 eclipse went thru Adam-ondi-ahman.  But the 2024 one does not.   And being close to totality ain’t like horseshoes & hand grenades. 

If you are not in totality you totally miss the celestial event.

For those who want to believe it's close enough but like you I would think it would be a little more exacting to be a true sign.

IMG_0346.thumb.jpeg.cecf0a1151d6f13b5291dedb6abb62cc.jpegPicture from last year’s Western Australia eclipse.  Make sure you take a good pair of binoculars.  Don’t even try to setup a telescope.  

IMG_0348.thumb.jpeg.4e4c0fca35ae7e34f868e32aa82ca167.jpeg

Also, the planets and constellations become visible. But not the one’s you can see in the night sky.  Picture from August 1, 2008 - China.

Edited by mikbone

19 hours ago, mirkwood said:

Here's the actual quote about the missionaries.

Heber C. Kimball, Deseret News, May 23, 1931.

“An army of Elders will be sent to the four quarters of the earth to search out the righteous and warn the wicked of what is coming.  All kinds of religions will be started and miracles performed that will deceive the very elect if such were possible.  Our sons and daughters must live pure lives so as to be prepared for what is coming. 

After a while the gentiles will gather to this place by the thousands, and Salt Lake City will be classed among the wicked cities of the world.  A spirit of speculation and extravagance will take possession of the Saints, and the result will be financial bondage. 

Persecution comes next and all true Latter-Day Saints will be tested to the limit.  Many will apostatize and others will stand still, not knowing what to do.  Darkness will cover the earth and gross darkness the minds of the people.  The judgments of God will be poured out upon the wicked to the extent that our Elders from far and near will be called home, or in other words the gospel will be taken from the Gentiles and later on be carried to the Jews. 

The western boundary of the State of Missouri will be swept so clean of its inhabitants that as President Young tells us, ‘When you return to that place, there will not be left so much as a yellow dog to wag his tail.’ 

Before that day comes, however, the Saints will be put to tests that will try the integrity of the best of them.  The pressure will become so great that the more righteous among them will cry unto the Lord day and night until deliverance comes. 

Well, the gentiles are in SLC in large numbers, and things have indeed taken quite the nosedive. 

It's so bad that when Rocky Anderson, an avowed atheist, was mayor, he actually worked with the church to place curbs on street preaching because they were doing that much damage to the town. 

I must correct myself.  There is a second time our leaders have referenced a sign of the times.

“If 9/11 (September 11, 2001) was a wake-up call, then the earthquake and tsunami in Southeast Asia (on December 26, 2004), was a kick out of bed. We need to pay attention to the signs of the times.” (Boyd K. Packer, meeting of the Twelve and the Seventy, January 11, 2005).