Mark of the Beast??

bytor2112

I think that the Evangelicals believe that the Anti-Christ will be one man and they take this passage pretty literally as far as the mark, 666, etc. Any thoughts on what the LDS believe in regard to this passage or perhaps some enlightenment from non-LDS?

Revelation Ch. 13

11 And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.

12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.

13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,

14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

I've alway thought it was symbolic like everything else in the chapter.

People are constantly wright books or coming up with a new theory on the mark of the beast, ssn,credit cards,micro chips etc. but i don't buy that. We aren't scouring the oceans looking for a 12? headed dragon because it is symbolism so why are we trying to put a literal interpretation of the mark.

When the bible says we should take the name of Christ upon us it is not referring to getting a cross tattoo it means to be Christlike in out actions so why would this be different.

It say the mark will be on the heads(i.e thoughts) and the right hand.IMO The right hand is our "action hand" because before the advent of T.P. our left would be reserved for that purpose.

Thoughts and actions IMO.

And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Can't buy or sell without the mark ....666.....number of a man?? I guess I don't have wisdom because I don't get it.

And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Can't buy or sell without the mark ....666.....number of a man?? I guess I don't have wisdom because I don't get it.

People who didn't support the Nazi party with their thoughts and actions sure had a hard time buying and selling things.

I'm thinking a communist of fascist regime.

As for 666 ,which i have heard was actually 636 IIRC , i have know idea the significance behind that

You know, a lot of Evangelicals believe that the Anti-Christ will rise from the European Union and will decieve everyone and bring about world peace and establish a one world government. They believe that the church will be "raptured" just before everything goes crazy during the tribulation period before Armageddon.

You know, a lot of Evangelicals believe that the Anti-Christ will rise from the European Union and will decieve everyone and bring about world peace and establish a one world government. They believe that the church will be "raptured" just before everything goes crazy during the tribulation period before Armageddon.

Yeah I used to get pamphlets from such a group.Can't remember the name.According to them Catholics are the "whore of babelon" they talked about the EU and Hurricane Katrina etc.

Interesting reading but some of it is far fetched IMO.

If 666 is correct, then it is probably referring to Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus. If 616 is correct (some of the earliest manuscripts), then it is probably referring to Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus.

John was a political exile writing veiled propaganda.

If Caesar(either one) was the Antichrist does that mean the other stuff in Revelation all ready happened? It's been a while so i don't recall the order of the seals opening

Numbers were highly significant and representational in their times, and numbers and letters were often used in place of, sometimes symbolically, each other. 666 could be the literal number "six hundred sixty six", or it can be just 6 itself (things repeated three times meant emphasis, thus "Holy, holy, holy"), or perhaps the numbers can be added or multiplied, or any evaluation of these could be translated to their letter counterparts

The common understanding amongst evangelicals is that there will be a literal mark of the Beast--a loyalty mark of some kind, that will also imply, if not openly demonstrate defiance against God. Because of the nature of the mark (open loyalty to the Beast, opposition to God), there seems little sense in guessing as to what it will be...other than to say, "Hey, this might work...it's getting closer to the end of time...we'd better be ready!"

One thought about 666--if six is the # of man, and 3 is the # of God (Three days to resurrection, Father Son and Holy Ghost, etc.), then the three sixes could be man's attempt to be God (i.e. by siding with Antichrist, who will promise to overthrow the evil, oppressive God, and liberate us.

If Caesar(either one) was the Antichrist does that mean the other stuff in Revelation all ready happened? [...]

I believe so.

Accepting the sign of the beast was most likely a reference to giving divine honors to the emperor (something the state cult essentially demanded). A lot of it is most likely commenting on the then happenings of the Roman Empire (and most notably, the crap Domitian was bringing about towards Christians due to changed attitudes within the state cult). Methinks his apocalypse was written for the most part in order to encourage the Christian communities that were being hounded by persecution and not so much as a prophetic timeline of events yet to come.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

If 666 is correct, then it is probably referring to Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus. If 616 is correct (some of the earliest manuscripts), then it is probably referring to Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus.

John was a political exile writing veiled propaganda.

This is much better than thinking it was embodied in the letters CTR!

:lol:

If you have the desire to know who is one of the '6', ask GOD. This person as reference by John lives this time as does that last standing church prophet.

Speculation is not worth the energy to fill pages of cyber space.

Don't leave us hanging.I'm know i can ask but I'm not very good at listening.

IIRC, the mark of the beast was associated with the un-holy trinity - the beast, the false prophet and satan. Like PC mentioned, 6 represents man and 3 represents God; but so does 7 (for perfection and completeness). The un-holy trinity is trying to mimic God but can't quite get there because 6 isn't perfection, it misses the mark.

About 20 years ago I was studying bits and pieces about the Mark of the Beast and that you would of course have to have the mark of course to be able to function in society--that you would have to have an implant of a chip the size of a grain of rice into most likely your wrist--it would have all the information needed to transact purchaces from your account to the item being purchaced whether it be groceries, gas etc.

It would have all the information about your medical history, your religious background and on and on. Basically everything about your life would be on that chip. You would basically have to have this chip to function in your daily lives--several years ago they developed fiber optic the size or slightly bigger than a hair strand that could be implanted. They supposedly have a giant super computer in Denmark if I remember right called 'The Beast' that has everyone's status in the world who work for an income-- SSN etc programed in it.

The Bar Code was suspect I remember because it had the 666 in the code and was kind of a pre-cursor to the scanning method for the chip that would come at a later date.

Of course animals have had implants for several years now.

It all tied into the 'New World Order'--One World economy, Religion, Military etc.

I remember hearing as a kid that the 666 added up to the numbers on the Popes headress.:pope:

I'm sure that there are some far fetched idead what the mark of the beast is, who is the anti-christ etc.

Here is a link to a guy named Steve Wohlberg, an evangelical that goes totally against the grain of who I would call evangelicals. He pretty much de-bunks the Jerry Jenkins and Tim LaHaye 'Left Behind' series ie 'The Rapture'--The Tribulation--The Anti-Christ.

I only listened to 'The Rapture' and found it pretty much going along the lines of LDS mindset if memory seves me about the events of the second coming.

He does believe the anti-christ period was over around the time of Nero--again if memory serves--give it a listen if you have a few minutes.

Just click on 'End Time Delusions'---then click 'Rapture Delusions'

Video On Demand - White Horse Media

A most important tenant of LDS doctrine and faith concerns two very important principles.

First: That there is more revelation to be given concerning the establishment of G-d’s kingdom. We do not have all we need in scriptures – including the extended LDS scriptures.

Second: That through the prophets that hold the keys and “oversee” the rights of the priesthood; will be given all revelation and guidance needed and required according to the L-rd’s timetable and not the logic or reason of men.

I am appalled and disappointed over the speculation that revolves around important sacred things – including the Book of Revelation. The Book of Revelation clearly tells us not to add our speculations to this sacred text. Personally I do not believe that the number of the beast applies to anything that has arisen through the speculations published by various sources – LDS or non-LDS.

Sometimes in these matters I tend to be sarcastic and would ask all those that claim to think or pretend to have a personal relation with G-d to ask him and tell the rest of us “obviously fallen” souls what G-d means by such things as the number of the beast.

I am sorry – but I think that when it comes to religion – I think it is as important for Christians to clearly state what they believe and to just as clearly state what we do not yet understand. I do not understand much in the Book of Revelation and I have become quite displeased with all the pretending. I believe the answer for everything is an illusion of faith or to be more accurate a definite indication of false faith for mankind having a mortal experience.

The Traveler