What was the most unusual, funny..

TheyCallMeMom

while serving my mission in England a lady told us one day while tracting that when she was a little girl there was story going around about the mormons. When their parents would see the mormons coming they would run out and grab their daughters and take them into the house, for fear the mormons would grab them and take them to the Mercy tunnel in Liverpool to salt lake city and they would never see them again. We had a good laugh about that.

that we have secret funerals where we baptize the deceased before burial......i thought it was a creative spin......

the funniest part was when i told them i was lds and tried to explain that they were misinformed they refused to believe me ......i guess i wouldn't know the truth about my own church.

on a side note i've heard the horns and tail one too.... lol in rs they were announcing a branch fhe where we would be having some games and things for the kids. it was announced that we'd be playing "pin the tail on the misisonary"....i was excited, asked if we got to put the horns on too...then she corrected it "pin the tie on the missionary" ...... oh well the kids still had fun.

I was once taught by my very own Sunday School teacher, that the third part who followed Satan actually got bodies when they came to earth, and therefore one out of every three people we happen to meet is actually a demon in disguise.

I didn't buy it at 12 yrs old. And I've sense done enough looking into church publications to know that nobody else does either.

LM

That we don't believe in dancing.

I got that from my class mates all the time when I was in Jr High and High School.

We had way better dances at Church than we ever had at School.

Guess it helped a lot that my Dad & Mom taught all of us kids the ball room dances as we were growing up. Except the Tango and the Bosanova. We did the waltz's, swing, polka's, and square dances. That was the major reason we didn't have carpeting in our living room/dining room floors! Man could Mom and Dad dance. We had the same dances at Church! Loooooved it.

Oh, another thing was that Mormons can't wear makeup.

This one came from a possible investigator while I was still living in Oregon. One of the members of the Church is a youngish mother, she has 6 kids and she doesn't wear a bra. Never has and never will. Well, this gal is VERY amply endowed! She also doesn't wear fashionable clothes, what ever she gets out of the free box that fits is fine by here.

The investigator asked me after having seen Mormon Mommy- " If I join your church, do I have to quit wearing a bra and decent clothes". I chuckled and said- oh, that is just Sisters Whatsit's way. The investigator then named off three of the widowed ladies of the LDS Church who also go bra less- Oh, dear - I was at a loss there for a moment, then I said- Agency, it is your agency to bra or not to bra.

Guest SisterofJared

I know several old ladies who don't wear bras... except to the temple. When they're going to the temple, they think that is a big enough occasion to warrant a bra. But not to church. Old ladies who can get away with going bra-less just do so... and it doesn't matter if they're lds or not! They just get old enough that they don't care about the opinion of the world. Don't we all envy that??? LOL.

I have been told that we worship upsidedown goat's heads in the temple. And another friend told me that he had heard that when we got married in the temple, we had to have sex on the alter-- with the priest who has performing the ceremony! I told him, "You know me, do you believe I would do that?" to which he hastened to tell me he didn't believe it, he had just heard it.

Being a lifelong member, I got used to hearing things like we worship Adam, etc. Always tried to correct them, but never figured where half the rumors come from. The one about owning Pepsi comes around a few times a year.

Sister of Jared

Edited by SisterofJared
correct typo.

The investigator then named off three of the widowed ladies of the LDS Church who also go bra less-

I know several old ladies who don't wear bras

I know that in my Mothers case, it was not that she did not want to, but she could no longer manage/fasten it. I would have to put in on for her. So maybe some of these women we see going without their bras are not doing so by choice, or making a personal statement, they just are no longer physically able to do so...just a thought.

Edited by Truegrits
added something

Guest SisterofJared

Ah, Grits! You ruined it for me. LOL. Here I was hoping I was gonna get old enough to not care what anyone thought! LOLOL! Well, a few I know have made that decision because they don't like the discomfort of a bra.... and when they got old enough.... lol.... I have one dear friend of almost 70 who literally puts on her bra only to go to the temple. Nothing else warrants it.

As yet the thought of going anywhere like that fills me with horror. I'm just not old enough!

I hope my theory comes true.... and I learn to wear strange clothes, purple hats, and go bralass!

SoJ

I hope my theory comes true.... and I learn to wear strange clothes, purple hats, and go braless!

:lol: :lol: I have already done the purple hat thingy!

You know what I want to do??? I have ALWAYS wanted blue hair! I have promised myself that when I get to that age, I WILL have blue hair. My family has been forewarned and my hairdresser knows...just waiting to get old enough to get away with it...;)

Weirdest belief: That Mormons worship seagulls and have to have a figure of a seagull in every room of their house.

Funniest belief: I heard this on another message board when someone asked this same question. One person had a friend who thought that the temple ceremony was done in the nude (we've all heard that). She'd also been told that part of the ceremony was sharing one's talents and that clogging is very popular in Mormonism . . . so part of the temple ceremony is clogging in the buff!! Still makes me giggle to think of it.

Most disturbing: A friend of mine who went on a mission to Sweden before blacks could hold the priesthood was teaching a discussion with a "greenie." The investigator asked why blacks couldn't hold the priesthood. The greenie was very eager to answer the question, because he "knew" the definitive answer: white people were descended from Adam, but black people were descended from apes and were thus not allowed to hold the priesthood. My friend and the investigator were horrified. Luckily, the guy's Swedish was poor. The investigator asked my friend, "Did he say what I think he said?" My friend asked, "What do you think he said?" Then he laughed at the response, made good fun of the elder's Swedish, and explained. The greenie was upset, because he knew his point was correct, because his Stake President father had taught him. My friend got him to agree not to mention it to anyone until they talked with the mission president.

Once I was driving past the Washington DC Temple and my sister was in the back of the van. She asked me why the Temple had 6 spires. I explained to her about how one set represents the Aaronic Priesthood and the other represents the High Priesthood. She nodded knowingly and said "Uh-huh." I have a pretty good idea what she was thinking, but I let it go. (She was a big fan of all things anti-LDS and would believe just about anything.)

As a missionary, I had an evangelical approach me on the street and tell me that the Church leaders offered human sacrifices in the temple, which I would find out when I finally got there. I told him I had already been, and he said, "Well, not to the place where they offer human sacrifices!" What could I say? He had me.

:lol: :lol: I have already done the purple hat thingy!

You know what I want to do??? I have ALWAYS wanted blue hair! I have promised myself that when I get to that age, I WILL have blue hair. My family has been forewarned and my hairdresser knows...just waiting to get old enough to get away with it...;)

Hey, go to California or any big city -- plenty of young girls with blue hair, I think they call themselves Goth.:lol::lol:

My daughter is not exactly goth but does like tatooing herself and coloring her hair. I never know what color it will be when I see her next.:lol: She lives in CA.

A side note to my last comment --- I grew up in CA during the sixties, did the hippie thing and could never get used to wearing a bra when I grew out of being a hippie. Now that things are going south I only wear a bra when I go out. It's the first thing to come off when I get home:lol::lol: My daughter tells me all the time that she hopes she looks as good has me when she's my age:p

Sorry guys -- just read quickly and go on!:lol: