Words or phrases you dislike

Mahone

I also remember having an argument with a roommate (surfer dude in SoCal) and the whole argument consisted of us both just saying dude in various intonations.

I can swear I remember a Coke (?) radio ad that pretty much consisted of the same concept.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easterners have a good time with Washington city names, too. I heard Spokane pronounced Spo-Cain, Puyallup pronounced pie-allup, Sequim pronounced see-kwim, Yakima pronounced ya-KEE-muh...you get the picture.

This reminds me of the Alaskan town of Valdez being pronounced Valdeeezz, with emphasis on the deeezz, by Alaskan residents. It makes me wonder if the local pronunciation should always be used or whether the common pronunciation by outsiders is acceptable when the local pronunciation seems real goofy.

I can swear I remember a Coke (?) radio ad that pretty much consisted of the same concept.

Budweiser actually. This commercial just goes to show how diverse and multi-functional the word "dude" is.

Although when I first read "commercial" and "dude" together, I thought of this one:

This reminds me of the Alaskan town of Valdez being pronounced Valdeeezz, with emphasis on the deeezz, by Alaskan residents. It makes me wonder if the local pronunciation should always be used or whether the common pronunciation by outsiders is acceptable when the local pronunciation seems real goofy.

No, we cringe when we hear "Val-Dez"

And in Washington we do not like to hear "Spo-cane" either.

No, we cringe when we hear "Val-Dez"

And in Washington we do not like to hear "Spo-cane" either.

I gotta second Valdez (rhyming with pez) being hard on the Alaskan ears. More fun is Tanana, I've heard some outsiders pronounce it as rhyming with banana (And Disney's Balto renders it as Tah-Naw-Naw IIRC, I prefer the banana pronounciation between the two) which is a horrible way to say it, it's Tan-Ah-Naw. :D

Edit: I'm looking around on YouTube and Katie Couric pronounces it correctly when talking about the Exxon Valdez (

) and this CBS Video (
) gets it right as well.

Never heard any native of Spokane use the 'cain" pronunciation the whole time I was serving my mission there, and I never used that pronounciation myself, my Mom spent time growing up in Washington (born in Yakima actually) so I got my pronounciation from her.

Edited by Dravin

What really bugs me is when TV shows don't bother to find out correct pronunciation prior to filming. There's one episode of the West Wing, where the President and First Lady are preparing to go to a state dinner or some swanky event, and he's discussing what will be on the menu. He talks about a Willamette vintage wine they will be drinking, and instead of correctly pronouncing it /will-AH-met/, he says /WILL-uh-met/. (For those not in the know, the Willamette is a river and a valley in Central Oregon.) In the last season of the show, during the campaign, there are also references to /or-eh-GON/ and /ne-VAH-duh/. Not once is there a reference to New HampSHIRE, always New HampSHUR. Considering that the President is from NH, it's no surprise that they consistently get that one correct, though. To their credit, all the characters that mispronounce those other states are Easterners and/or New Englanders.

It kinda makes sense, I mean the leader of the free world (Wow, now there is a title suffering from myopia) wouldn't ever get caught doing something like pronouncing a word, lets say nuclear, in a way that would catch him some flak (Bush, Clinton, Carter and Eisenhower). ;)

Edit: Of course it is mostly likely a case of lazy as opposed to subtle.

Edited by Dravin

It kinda makes sense, I mean the leader of the free world (Wow, now there is a title suffering from myopia) wouldn't ever get caught doing something like pronouncing a word, lets say nuclear, in a way that would catch him some flak (Bush, Clinton, Carter and Eisenhower). ;).

Ironic, then, that Carter was in training to be a newkewlar power plant operator aboard a newkewlar sub while he was in the Navy.

When people say "can't" when they really mean "shouldn't".

Examples:

You can't legalize sin. (Yes you can. There are plenty of perfectly legal things which are at least to some degree sinful.)

You can't sail on the lake when the red flag is flying. (Yes you can. You'll just get into trouble for it.)

You can't park on a double yellow line. (Yes you can - you'll just have to watch out for traffic wardens.)

You can't drink serve red wine with the fish course. (Yes you can - you can serve anything with anything, so long as it's available.)

I can't tell her that! (Yes you can - you'll just open up a can of worms!)

P.S. Having thought about it for a minute, I'm sure I use "can't" wrongly myself. But that's different. I always find this sort of thing is only annoying in other people!

Edited by Jamie123

Mine is people who repeatedly refuse to type a word in its proper form, even when corrected: Barak instead of Barack, 'Is this to much?' instead of 'Is this too much?', Satin instead of Satan.

It drives me insane. Words are supposed to have meaning. When you're lazy about them, I just can't try to read what you're trying to say.

Mine is people who repeatedly refuse to type a word in its proper form, even when corrected: Barak instead of Barack, 'Is this to much?' instead of 'Is this too much?', Satin instead of Satan.

It drives me insane. Words are supposed to have meaning. When you're lazy about them, I just can't try to read what you're trying to say.

Yes I fuly agre! I coudn't have put it beter myself Funcy. It drivs me rite up the wal to! If only peple'd us there words prop'ly, we'd al understand ech other a lot beter!

What really bugs me is when TV shows don't bother to find out correct pronunciation prior to filming. There's one episode of the West Wing, where the President and First Lady are preparing to go to a state dinner or some swanky event, and he's discussing what will be on the menu. He talks about a Willamette vintage wine they will be drinking, and instead of correctly pronouncing it /will-AH-met/, he says /WILL-uh-met/. (For those not in the know, the Willamette is a river and a valley in Central Oregon.) In the last season of the show, during the campaign, there are also references to /or-eh-GON/ and /ne-VAH-duh/. Not once is there a reference to New HampSHIRE, always New HampSHUR. Considering that the President is from NH, it's no surprise that they consistently get that one correct, though. To their credit, all the characters that mispronounce those other states are Easterners and/or New Englanders.

Along the same lines....I can't stand when they have an American actor play a British character. Drives me batty! As if there aren't any good British actors that actually have a real British accent, rather than a big name American actor faking an accent. One reason why I love Harry Potter is because they stuck to British actors.

I also hate when they have an actor playing a character who has an accent (my biggest pet peeve is when the character is supposed to be a Slavic speaker--Russian, Serbian, etc.) and the accent is HORRIBLE! Case in point--the new Star Trek. The accent that Chekov had was horrendous--it was not a Russian accent--it was a frat boy trying to talk like a Russian accent.

Examples:

You can't legalize sin. (Yes you can. There are plenty of perfectly legal things which are at least to some degree sinful.)

You can't sail on the lake when the red flag is flying. (Yes you can. You'll just get into trouble for it.)

You can't park on a double yellow line. (Yes you can - you'll just have to watch out for traffic wardens.)

You can't drink serve red wine with the fish course. (Yes you can - you can serve anything with anything, so long as it's available.)

P.S. Having thought about it for a minute, I'm sure I use "can't" wrongly myself. But that's different. I always find this sort of thing is only annoying in other people!

When I was young:D

We played a game called "Mother May I"

I don't think they play it much anywhere:rolleyes:

I got sent back to the beginning a lot of the times:confused:

But I finally got it:)

I am slow, but I do get there:o

Bro. Rudick

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Along the same lines....I can't stand when they have an American...

John Hillerman pulled it off in Magnum PI, but he has a bit of a gift for accents. In one episode he played Higgins' Irish half-brother.

Probably the most cringe-making portrayal of an Englishman in an American movie EVER was Maxwell Caulfield in Grease 2 - though I've just looked hin up on Wikipedia and apparently he was born in Britain. Strange...

Edited by Jamie123

Examples:

Why don't we have the word "mayn't" in English? That would get rid of this issue.