Sunday activities

havejoy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should do things that bring us closer to God, family and each other. Working at our callings, home and visit teaching ( although I refuse to do it on Sunday as it is family time for me personally) visiting family or the sick, lonely or in need. Genealogy, scripture study, family meetings to plan out the week, rest or naps if required, listening to uplifting music, church meetings.

We should avoid doing things of the world, Birthday Parties, sporting events, watching tv, being idle for no reason, sleeping the entire day.

The church provides us with guidelines and some specifics. As I told my gospel principle class two weeks ago when we dealt with this subject there are many variables that you should take to the Lord and ask him.

I know one devot member who is the only member of her family. When she visits with them once a month they often go out either for supper or desert at a restaurant. They were upset when she said she couldn't join in so in order to spend time with the family which is a good Sunday activity she ends up spending money on the Sabbath which isn't

I have seen Stake high councilors going into restaurants on Sunday, Bishopric members taking children to musical competitions, High Priests mowing lawns without shirts on the Sabbath. I could easily condemn those actions but first it is none of my business it's between them and the Lord. And second I don't know the circumstances behind them, they might have a perfectly acceptable reason for doing something they shouldn't again it's between them and the Lord.

The point is if you look for an exact list you will find it flawed as members have different interpretations of what is acceptable. Heck, over the last 14 years in the church my own interpretations of what is acceptable has changed as my belief's in the Sabbath has changed.

Go to lds.org and do a search for sabbath day activities and you should get a dozen or more articles giving you lists.

Well I guess my extended family would be sinners as Sundays are the ONLY time we can find to get together to celebrate a birthday.

And I am totally a sinner as I watch tv on Sunday, especially during football season.

I clean toilets along with the rest of the house on Sunday. I throw on some headphones and go at it. For me, this is really the only time during the week that I can turn the brain down a few notches and give it a rest. Sure, it's some physical exertion, but I fail to see how this form of personal rest is any different than someone taking a nap. It sounds crazy, but I feel good and rested (albeit dripping with sweat) when I'm done.

I've mentioned that I clean the toilets on Sunday to a few folks, and I usually receive some disapproving looks in return.... oh well.

Even though I rarely go to church anymore, I still get disapproving looks and comments from my mother when I visit her on a Sunday and mention that I put some washing on before I left. I personally cannot even see how using a washing machine is even working - you take the clothes out of the washing bag and place them in the washing machine, add detergent and the rest is done for you - hardly a difficult or laborious task.

Though as has been said, it's between you and the Lord how far you want to take it in keeping the sabbath holy. I do think some people take it to extremes.

Edited by Mahone

Football was always a family event at my house when I was a kid. Now, my kids and my sister all call me during the games to talk about an awesome pass or a flagrant foul or whatever. I live alone with my non-member husband so I'm not taking time away from him or anything.

I wonder about exercise though. Is it okay to take off on a bicycle by myself or is it only okay if I have the grandkids with me? This came up because I ride my bike for exercise nearly every day except Sunday. It isn't just for exercise though. It also helps me settle my brain and it's where I do my best thinking. I have always taken Sunday off and miss the time alone I get on the bike. This past Sunday while taking a casserole to a family I passed our RS president and her family riding bikes down the street and it occurred to me that maybe it's okay. ???

The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. It is a day to recharge and refocus. If that means cleaning toilets, then by all means, scrub away. If it means watching football with friends and family, then enjoy it. But, if you are a slave to Sundays, then you are doing it wrong.

lol LDSValley. We went to the supermarket yesterday then went out to eat at a restaurant.

Reason being we didnt get home till after midnight from visiting my new niece. We've also had the worst week of our lives, with upsetting news, ended up arguing after church from the pressure and strain of it all, making up-then just saying nuts to it all lets go to a restaurant.

Sundays for me are about being chilled out. I' usually too knackered to do much but I always do some washing/tidying in prep for the week. We always have a sleep without fail. We usually visit family. We might put on a DVD. We talk. Thats about us.

Football was always a family event at my house when I was a kid. Now, my kids and my sister all call me during the games to talk about an awesome pass or a flagrant foul or whatever. I live alone with my non-member husband so I'm not taking time away from him or anything.

I wonder about exercise though. Is it okay to take off on a bicycle by myself or is it only okay if I have the grandkids with me? This came up because I ride my bike for exercise nearly every day except Sunday. It isn't just for exercise though. It also helps me settle my brain and it's where I do my best thinking. I have always taken Sunday off and miss the time alone I get on the bike. This past Sunday while taking a casserole to a family I passed our RS president and her family riding bikes down the street and it occurred to me that maybe it's okay. ???

Havejoy to me if riding your bike helps your to commune or to think and clear your mind, then by all means do it. Just my opinion. We each have our own ways of doing just that. I think many times it's the intent in the activities we pursue on Sundays and not always the activity.

I had to give a talk on this, and the brethren have given myriad specific examples of what violates the Sabbath. (Just go to lds.org and do a media search on "Sabbath" - and read a few articles from G.A.'s.) And that list includes sports (watching and playing), fishing, chores beyond the absolutely necessary, supporting any business that isn't a medical emergency type of situation, and on and on and on.

It's easy to say "be your own judge" - and that's a partially correct answer. But the Brethren, from the pulpit have given many black and white this-is-okay and this-is-inappropriate statements. If it's on that list and you're a repeat offender, in my book you're guilty of lame justifications.

That being said, I'm not judging anyone. My Sabbath worship isn't perfect by any stretch, so I won't point fingers at others... but I'm also not deluding myself into thinking that an Apostle's "no" is my "yes".

I feel so chastized. But it's probably what I need. Thanks for showing me the error of my ways. But I can't give up football.

Edited by pam

We talked about this in Gospel Principles a couple weeks ago. Everyone was talking about what they did or didn't do on Sunday. I personally refrain from shopping and put Sunday services first. However, I do watch football. I will not let it interfere with church(may record it and dare anyone to tell me the scores). I know that some people will not agree with me watching, but that is ok. I am a big fan of the Baltimore Ravens. Two of our star players are members of the church. I figure if they play on Sunday, i can watch on Sunday. It is something that brings our family closer together, because we all love the game.

Other than that I do reserve Sunday's for scripture study and relaxing/recharging for the week ahead. Not sure how i got by before doing that.

Baltimore Ravens? Okay I have heard it say we should NEVER EVER watch football on Sundays. :P Unless it's a team that starts with a "C."

BTW..Week 2 you are going DOWN!!!!

We talked about this in Gospel Principles a couple weeks ago. Everyone was talking about what they did or didn't do on Sunday. I personally refrain from shopping and put Sunday services first. However, I do watch football. I will not let it interfere with church(may record it and dare anyone to tell me the scores). I know that some people will not agree with me watching, but that is ok. I am a big fan of the Baltimore Ravens. Two of our star players are members of the church. I figure if they play on Sunday, i can watch on Sunday. It is something that brings our family closer together, because we all love the game.

Other than that I do reserve Sunday's for scripture study and relaxing/recharging for the week ahead. Not sure how i got by before doing that.

Assuming football counts as "wholesome recreation" (not a sports enthusiast myself), a case can be made for a family-bonding activity being OK. :)

I'd say pray for guidance on what's right for you, within the guidelines we've already been given by Scripture and by the Lord's modern spokesmen.

President Benson spoke on this as well many years ago. There are many things that can help us observe the Sabbath. Usually, after a long day at meetings, my wife and I go home teaching or have our home teacher over, and then I take a nap. Our meals are usually simple (since it is just my wife and I), consisting of something thrown in the crock pot or something that is very quick to whip up. I came from a family that had giant Sunday dinners, and I know that a lot of people look forward to that as a Sunday activity.

When our kids were home, they were usually out on Mondays, usually to piano or school activities, so we always had FHE on Sunday evening after my nap (I've been doing it for a LONG time). Or we'd have it over Sunday dinner as we ate, to talk about Gospel principles.

I haven't watched pro football for years. It is on Sunday, and I just don't feel right about it. Same goes for any sporting events. Usually my wife and I watch BYUTV on Sunday evenings, although we have been known to watch WKRP in Cincinnati on WGN on Sundays from time to time.

I agree with Prodigal on this. The brethren have been pretty specific on what is and isn't okay for true Sabbath day worship, although they cannot tell us in every instance what is and isn't okay (same as Jacob or King Benjamin stated, when telling us that there are myriad ways of sinning).

Let the spirit guide. Not our own convenience or justifications...

Edited by sixpacktr

Three years ago we moved into a home that has a swimming pool, so as the first summer came we were faced with the decision of whether to go swimming or not on Sunday. The logical answer was no, we would not swim on Sundays, we had never gone swimming before on Sundays which would would have meant at a freind's house or to a public pool, so why start now.

But this summer I had a change of heart, I think going swimming with the family is a great activity, we have fun and it brings us together. The other days of the week are so busy that sometimes we don't even have time to use the pool much. So on Sunday evenings after church meetings, home teaching, etc. are all done with it's a great way to unwind and relax with the kids. It's our own pool so we're not imposing on anyone else. I don't judge other people who may decide not to swim on Sundays, it's a personal decision that each family has to make on their own.

The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. It is a day to recharge and refocus. If that means cleaning toilets, then by all means, scrub away. If it means watching football with friends and family, then enjoy it. But, if you are a slave to Sundays, then you are doing it wrong.

There is something that may not be understood about our Sabbath covenants. Paul tells us that the Sabbath is a day of rest that is connected to "the L-rd's rest". That means that the Sabbath is a preparation for what we will be doing for eternity.

If you plan to clean toilets for eternity then such a thing if most fitting for the Sabbath. If football is your idea of eternal joy than by all means make that your Sabbath covenant.

For me the Sabbath is about the L-rd's work but then many people either have no clue what the L-rd's work is or they would much rather pursue their own pleasures.

The Traveler

The folks who produced and preserved the Dead Sea Scrolls figured you should not poop on the Saabath.

The Essenes were a bit kooky. They also bathed 4 bajillion times a day in a big line. And if you touched someone on your way out of the mikveh, you had to get back in line... Not exactly balanced...

Generally, I like doing things on Sunday and make me grateful for the things I'm blessed with in this life.

I like to clean the apartment because it makes me appreciate having a nice place to live.

I Skype-chat with my family because I am grateful to have such amazing parents and a great little brother :D

I read scriptures and Ensign articles because I am not only grateful to be literate, but also to be blessed with a knowledge of the Gospel.

I visit my friends that live nearby because I'm blessed with great friends!

And I might take a nap once in a while too ;)