Kneeling in the Celestial Room

HEthePrimate

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone here know the rationale behind not being allowed to kneel in the Celestial Room? It seems very strange to me. After all, if the CR is where we are supposed to be closest to the presence of the Lord, what place could possibly be more appropriate to kneel?

HEP

I’m not personally aware of such a policy, but I wouldn’t find it surprising. I could see a couple of potential reasons for not allowing it, however. One of the first that comes to mind is safety. People kneeling creates a hazard for tripping, falling, or other issues in the event of a fire. With as many old people (read Ben or Pam) as we have visiting the temple, this could become a serious concern. But I doubt it is the primary reason.

During the training meetings I attended when I was an ordinance worker, we did have some discussions about what was and wasn’t appropriate for the Celestial Room. The key guideline was that we should discourage any behavior that distracts others from being able to feel the Spirit or drawing closer to God. Whereas we’ve developed a kind of culture that views quietly sitting and pondering in the Celestial Room as the appropriate behavior, finding someone kneeling could become distracting. More than likely, if one person were found kneeling, the temple workers wouldn’t say anything, but if multiple people were to pick up on the habit, you might find the temple enforcing the rule.

Other quirks of the Celestial Room: up until 2005 or 2006 you wouldn’t ever see scriptures in the Celestial Room. The Temple Department authorized the placement of white covered scriptures sometime during those years and created the possibility for people to read the scriptures in the Celestial Room. At the same time that authorization was given, instruction was given that the Celestial Room is not an appropriate place for extended scripture study or for preparing lessons. We were reminded that those attending the temple were welcome to enjoy the Celestial Room while they were there, but that it was inappropriate to spend long periods of time there. We were counseled that if a person had been sitting in the room long enough that the temple worker in the room needed to leave to fulfill another assignment, it was appropriate to ask the person to leave the room.

In general, it seemed like we were being taught that the Celestial Room is not the ultimate place for worship and divine instruction. Instead, we were taught that members should strive to have that kind of atmosphere in their homes and in their lives. If they learn to do that, then “…shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distill upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.” (D&C 121:45)

Hmm, Interesting. I've never knelt but we do have group hugs. Especially when it's the first time of one of our family. There are a lot of cousins so it happens every couple years.

I do remember as a missionary in the MTC they told us not to take our patriarchal blessings to read in the celestial room.

Edited by deseretgov

thinking about it my husband knelt in the celestial room and didn't get in trouble. all the sofa's were taken (we usually sit together for a bit) and i was sitting in a single chair when he came in. he came and knelt by the chair next to me..... maybe most of this stuff is just temple specific?

Kneeling prayer takes two forms:

• Private prayer, done "in thy closet".
  • Small group prayers such as family prayer, where all present participate.

It would be uncomfortable indeed were we to enter the celestial room and see people kneeling in various places, faces scrunched up in prayer while we find a path around them and try to enjoy the celestial room without tripping over the kneeling devouts.

Besides, do you really want to enter the celestial room and be greeted by the sight of rows of rear ends belonging to those kneeling at the couches?

The celestial room should be a place of quiet contemplation and repose, but not a prayer meeting. I suspect that if kneeling prayer were common in the celestial room, it would change the ambience of that room to something other than what it should be.

I don't know the rationale behind it. I think the theories put forth sound viable.

I think I remember seeing someone approached by a temple worker for kneeling in prayer. I've seen husbands crouching next to their wives who are sitting in a chair (but crouching is different than kneeling) and not be approached.

Hey I am much stronger now at 55 than I have been most of my life. Would challenge most to a leg press contest. I am currently pressing 1,000 pounds. I think that is 2,200 kilos, sounds more impressive. :)

Ben (The Old Man) Raines

Being Canadian i'm kinda familiar with the metric system so I just wanted to point out that 1000 lbs is actually 454 Kg. Which is still very impressive. 2,200 Kg is 4,850 lbs.

Online Conversion - Common Weight and Mass Conversions

If Ben can leg press 2200 kg then he is a pachyderm.

I'm pretty sure he meant it in the same sense that I might write, "Today it was 114 degrees out! (That's 20 below for you Canadians.)" Anyway, that's my current theory.

Other quirks of the Celestial Room: up until 2005 or 2006 you wouldn’t ever see scriptures in the Celestial Room. The Temple Department authorized the placement of white covered scriptures sometime during those years and created the possibility for people to read the scriptures in the Celestial Room.

Actually, I saw scriptures in the Celestial Room plenty of times before 2005/2006... :huh:

Kneeling prayer takes two forms:

• Private prayer, done "in thy closet".
  • Small group prayers such as family prayer, where all present participate.

It would be uncomfortable indeed were we to enter the celestial room and see people kneeling in various places, faces scrunched up in prayer while we find a path around them and try to enjoy the celestial room without tripping over the kneeling devouts.

Besides, do you really want to enter the celestial room and be greeted by the sight of rows of rear ends belonging to those kneeling at the couches?

The celestial room should be a place of quiet contemplation and repose, but not a prayer meeting. I suspect that if kneeling prayer were common in the celestial room, it would change the ambience of that room to something other than what it should be.

Vort,

Are you actually making fun of people praying in the Celestial Room? I mean, "Faces scrunched up in prayer" and "rows of rear ends" sounds like some kind of parody.

How on earth can humble, reverent prayer possibly be construed as changing the temple's ambiance to "something other than what it should be"? You're making it sound as though prayer is downright inappropriate.

HEP