Why Doesn’t God Answer Prayers?

Snow

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that they were rhetorical questions posted by Snow to get people to think. Did I miss something?

To all lets keep the personal attacks out of this thread and others as well.

Ben Raines

Thank you Ben. I have no intentions of making personal attacks or continuing attacks from previous threads. Hence why I will not be drawn into contention over this. :)

Now, hopefully, everyone else is willing to do the same and let these beliefs stand on what has been posted and we won't have any more pot stirring.

Your argument was your original post. Those 3 questions and their answers. I responding with evidence to the contrary. However, while I recognize your position and that it is either mistaken or argumentative, it is not for me to judge you or your flaws. Instead, I merely pointed out that I could, based on personal experience, disprove two of your three points. In fact, antsyl further solidified my position on point 3 in their response to me.

Thats pretty funny. I appreciate your perfect knowledge of my flaws. That made me laugh.

I have, twice. Just because you are unable to understand my simple post is not my issue. I will not get into contention over this matter. I will simply agree to disagree with you.

No - you haven't. I made no argument. Ben is correct:

I thought that they were rhetorical questions posted by Snow to get people to think. Did I miss something?

John 14 promises that whatever (anything) we ask in God's name will be done.

Now you can put an extra parameter on top of that if you want... only if God Himself agrees... but that's awfully convenient - I prayed to not starve, but God must not have deemed me ready to not starve, ergo I continued to starve - and so not terribly helpful in making sense of what has been promised.

For as long as I can remember in my 40 years of life here on earth, God has been warning me and everyone on earth to prepare for times of need. He admonishes us to lay up stores against times like this recession we're in. If we do not learn from history we are doomed to make the same mistakes. There were years of famine in bible followed by years of plenty. Joseph Smith picked up where they left off in the Bible, telling us to prepare, prepare, prepare. When life is good, we tend to ignore God. Now that life isn't good, we tend to blame God.

If we listen to those who know the path or have walked the path who give us signs, and road maps to follow, we will never have to worry. But when we do our own thing and ignore the signs and the road maps and wise counsel, we do so at our own peril.

For as long as I can remember in my 40 years of life here on earth, God has been warning me and everyone on earth to prepare for times of need. He admonishes us to lay up stores against times like this recession we're in. If we do not learn from history we are doomed to make the same mistakes. There were years of famine in bible followed by years of plenty. Joseph Smith picked up where they left off in the Bible, telling us to prepare, prepare, prepare. When life is good, we tend to ignore God. Now that life isn't good, we tend to blame God.

If we listen to those who know the path or have walked the path who give us signs, and road maps to follow, we will never have to worry. But when we do our own thing and ignore the signs and the road maps and wise counsel, we do so at our own peril.

Well okay - but that's not really the point. Someone in the sub-sahara could be starving and praying to not die. It's doesn't make sense to say that God doesn't answer their prayers for food because they are not ready to keep living.

I love this conversation from the movie "Shadowlands" as Jack's wife has suffered from cancer.

HARRY (the priest): Christopher can scoff, Jack, but I know how hard you've been praying; and now God is answering your prayers.

JACK(C.S. Lewis) : That's not why I pray, Harry. I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time, waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God, it changes me.

Perhaps God chooses not to micromanage everything. Kurt Vonnegut once proposed the "Church of God the Totally Indifferent". Despite these thoughts, millions of people everyday say that their prayers have been answered and that they find miracles all around them.

:)

Please don't give away the answer on the 2nd post.

I answer hesitantly, but some questions were asked that serve as a stumbling block for many people; perhaps answers I have heard from other sources would be beneficial for some.

2. A handful of millions of Mormons are convinced God has told them that their faith is correct, but hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of other millions of people are just as convinced that God has told them that they (non-LDS) faith is correct.

The truth's in the details. I've yet to hear anyone from another faith claim an expierience like a witness from the Holy Ghost telling them their religion is true. In fact, I believe certain Christian religions are the only ones that claim one can know the truth about their religion by virtue of divine manifestation.

3. People are ill, infirm, diseased. They pray to God to be healed. Some then get better. Was God behind it? How would you know? Why does God never heal amputees?

The Lord heals all sicknesses, in His due time- but He cannot work among men of the earth except where real faith is present. Amputees, and all who are chronically sick, are healed at their Resurection.

Follow-up question: Lots and lots of people, members and investigators pray to know the truthfulness of the LDS understanding of the gospel and get no answer. Some pray for years and God remains silent.

Why?

Doctrine and Covenants 58:29-33

29 But he that doeth not anything until he is commanded, and receiveth a commandment with doubtful heart, and keepeth it with slothfulness, the same is damned.

30 Who am I that made man, saith the Lord, that will hold him guiltless that obeys not my commandments?

31 Who am I, saith the Lord, that have promised and have not fulfilled?

32 I command and men obey not; I revoke and they receive not the blessing.

33 Then they say in their hearts: This is not the work of the Lord, for his promises are not fulfilled. But wo unto such, for their reward lurketh beneath, and not from above.

If a man or woman prays for knowledge and doesn't receive it then the person asks amiss (asks for knowledge they ought not to have), is not exercising enough faith to receive that which is being asked for, or is not asking in the proper manner. At present, I can't think of anything else that would stop a prayer for knowledge being answered.

First off, for my fellow posters, Snow is not your average thinker nor is he satisfied with the common variety Sunday school answers. Just as many think that worshiping G-d is the same as going to church many also think that praying is getting down on your knees and addressing G-d with great passion concerning an issue of concern.

Prayer is part of our covenant works that are necessary for salvation (exaltation in the kingdom of heaven). I would also point out that there are blessings (treasures in heaven) that are withheld until they are qualified for through covenant prayer.

The Traveler

We blame our Father in heaven for far too much for what goes off on Earth.

He entered into agreement with us not to interfere but that does not mean there is no help to get through life.

Can I perhaps offer an example how God might help us if we only would listen.

A friend of ours became engaged in helping those less fortunate than herself mainly in Bosnia. She organise shipment after shipment of supplies she had raised to be delivered to the right locations, often accompanying the loads.

On one incident she was booked on a flight to meet with local leaders about how to best distributive aid to the populace. On the day of the flight and in normal daily prayer she felt not to go on that flight and obeyed the feeling.

That aeroplane crashed on it's flight over Bosnia with a total loss of life. There was just one empty seat due to the lateness of the cancelation.

Did God only warn one person or did only one person listen and act?

OK is it the speaker or the listener that is the problem. Yesterday I had meeting about my daughter being treated badly in primary - present was the Branch President and one of his counsellor, I addressed the whole group in the same way and same manner. Used same words. The counsellor heard what I had to say and understood that my daughter was the priority and we need to protect our little ones, Branch President was so wrapped up in psycho babble and desire to protect the primary president's indefensible behaviour, he didn't hear a word I said. He only knows what he said. Willing to bet when both those men pray to the Lord he will give them the same answer but they will hear a different one

-Charley

Haven't read anyone's responses, but figure I'll toss my hat in the ring anyway. Pick apart what you will.

"And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son."

Who says he doesn't? Often times the lack of a response can be just as powerful an answer as the response. Sometimes more powerful. But these things have to be determined within the context of a specific situation.

But I don't think that's what you're really asking here. The take I think you have is that if you ask for something in the name of the Father, doesn't the quoted scripture indicate that the something should be given? I don't think that this would necessarily be so. If we assume that the purpose of prayer is to align our thoughts and intentions with the mind of the Lord, then we would only be granted the things we ask when our prayers are aligned with the mind of the Lord. Since I imagine God doesn't particularly care if Baskin Robbins gives away free ice cream during your lunch breaks on Tuesday, I doubt he would grant that request if it were made through prayer.

or

Why Does God Give Contradictory Answers?

I don't know. What I do know is best articulated by Aslan in The Horse and His Boy. I referenced this recently, but I'll say it again. Aslan (the representative character for God) tells Shasta that he tells "no man any story but his own." I don't receive answers to prayer for others and they don't receive answers for me. For that reason, I'll trust that others know what they are feeling better than I do, and I have no choice but to fully respect that.

or

Why Does God Only Answer Prayers in a Way That Can’t Be Checked?

Because he only tells people their own story. If we could verify a person's answers to prayer, it would undermine the entire Plan of Happiness. We'd soon find ourselves cross referencing, verifying, and documenting answers to prayer instead of having faith to accept that people are capable of receiving their own answers. Systematically questioning whether another person actually received the answer they say they received would be the beginning of the end.

Three examples:

1. Economy is bad. People need jobs. Good job opens up. People apply. People pray that they get the job. One person gets the job - obviously the other people do not. Are we to assume that God supernaturally intervened (in answer to prayer) to cause one person to get the job that they otherwise would not have gotten, and thus also supernaturally caused the other applicants, who also prayed, to not get the job

See Bruce Almighty. Giving everyone what they want, even if it be a noble desire, exactly when they want it is a good recipe for chaos. I believe there are very few instances in which God steps in with divine intervention, and he leaves the rest up to us to sort out. Sometimes there may be subtle influences. For instance, since moving to my current location I've felt that I was meant to be specifically where I am. I don't believe he stepped in to make sure I got the job here, but I do feel that he had some influence in my choices for education that made me an attractive applicant to my employer. In other words, he pointed me in the right direction and let me do the work for myself.

2. A handful of millions of Mormons are convinced God has told them that their faith is correct, but hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of other millions of people are just as convinced that God has told them that they (non-LDS) faith is correct.

Answers to my prayers have indicated to me that the LDS Church is the true Church of Jesus Christ. If anyone else feels a different answer then I will respect that, and assume that for whatever reason, God in his wisdom decided to give us different answers. I don't pretend to understand nor do I care to understand. I only do everything I can to ensure the happiness of those around me regardless of what answers they get to their prayers.

3. People are ill, infirm, diseased. They pray to God to be healed. Some then get better. Was God behind it? How would you know?

I have been present in instances when God has healed an individual. The only way I know God was behind it was because I was present and felt his power. Why God chooses to heal some and not others is beyond my understanding. But that's something I"ll just have to live with.

Why does God never heal amputees?

Who says he doesn't. If He does, I imagine he heals them before the amputation though.

Follow-up question: Lots and lots of people, members and investigators pray to know the truthfulness of the LDS understanding of the gospel and get no answer. Some pray for years and God remains silent.

Why?

I don't know. But like I said, I'll continue to work for these people's happiness regardless of whether or not they've received a witness similar to mine. I'll be ecstatic if some day they do, but in the meantime, I'm not going to waste energy worrying about why they don't.

He does. He has for me.

To answers your specific questions.

1 - He does and has specifically for me.

2 - I do not know His whole purpose. But, the first commandments in the Garden of Eden were contradictory. Yet, they served His and the eternal purpose.

3 - Why do we have a right to expect God to be checked. As a parent, I don't expect or want my children to always expect proof or reasoning behind everything I do.

So, based on the facts as I have discovered them and learned them, your arguments are flawed and incorrect. Now, whether that is based on your knowledge, your faith, or a position of argument, I am not sure. Regardless, the point remains, he does answer prayers, often for his own purposes which we only discover later.

Then you should get with SNOW and tell him. He wants to know how you can prove it was God. I find it forever interesting that WE always want to judge God and His actions with our peanut minds. People are always trying to out think God. I believe that was what satan did wasnt it?

Thats pretty funny. I appreciate your perfect knowledge of my flaws. That made me laugh.

Interesting, either antsyl = Snow, with the snarky comment about perfect knowledge of flaws or antsyl still does not understand that I was only responding to Snow and never discussed antsyl's positions.

Then you should get with SNOW and tell him. He wants to know how you can prove it was God. I find it forever interesting that WE always want to judge God and His actions with our peanut minds. People are always trying to out think God. I believe that was what satan did wasnt it?

No, Snow wants us to accept his point of view. No matter how many times many of us have answered his questions, his response has always been to belittle and put us down for being studpid, dogma followers, etc. Point is, I can not prove it for Snow. It is fact for me. But, Snow will have to prove it for himself. It is through his own prayer and testimony that he will come to the truth. No amount of me getting into contention, which is what every post seems to be by Snow, will change his mind.

Similarily, I am accepting of faith, apparently, a sign of a weak mind and person according to Snow, that my Heavenly Father answers even simple prayers. I do not require proof, now do I demand it from others to prove their point. My proof has been confirmation by the Holy Ghost. I do not question that confirmation, nor do I require a definition of proof based on the laws of man or science. Heavenly Father is not restricted to our laws nor is he knowable by our scientific methods. Attmempts to 'prove' Heavenly Father in the scientific sense are fruitless at best or destructive at worst, as Heavenly Father will not be mocked or simplified into our own laws. This why I have stated my position and leave it at that.

To be blunt, I 100% believe that this post by Snow was inteneded for 1 purpose. To cause argument and contentions. Otherwise, why was example #1 a copy from a recent thread whose original poster asked for prayers as she prepared for a job interview. Snow was quite clear that he believed such a request was wasted and that Heavenly Father would not answer that prayer. Such a view is so contrary to the teachings of our church. We are taught to pray for everything. There is no exception or importance clause to that teaching. The only way to gain a TRUE testimony is through personal prayer and revelation. So, either Heavenly Father answers prayers or he doesn't. I know he does. I do not need to question it, to fight to prove it, or to argue about it, no matter how many threads are started on it.

No, Snow wants us to accept his point of view. No matter how many times many of us have answered his questions, his response has always been to belittle and put us down for being studpid, dogma followers, etc. Point is, I can not prove it for Snow. It is fact for me. But, Snow will have to prove it for himself. It is through his own prayer and testimony that he will come to the truth. No amount of me getting into contention, which is what every post seems to be by Snow, will change his mind.

Similarily, I am accepting of faith, apparently, a sign of a weak mind and person according to Snow, that my Heavenly Father answers even simple prayers. I do not require proof, now do I demand it from others to prove their point. My proof has been confirmation by the Holy Ghost. I do not question that confirmation, nor do I require a definition of proof based on the laws of man or science. Heavenly Father is not restricted to our laws nor is he knowable by our scientific methods. Attmempts to 'prove' Heavenly Father in the scientific sense are fruitless at best or destructive at worst, as Heavenly Father will not be mocked or simplified into our own laws. This why I have stated my position and leave it at that.

To be blunt, I 100% believe that this post by Snow was inteneded for 1 purpose. To cause argument and contentions. Otherwise, why was example #1 a copy from a recent thread whose original poster asked for prayers as she prepared for a job interview. Snow was quite clear that he believed such a request was wasted and that Heavenly Father would not answer that prayer. Such a view is so contrary to the teachings of our church. We are taught to pray for everything. There is no exception or importance clause to that teaching. The only way to gain a TRUE testimony is through personal prayer and revelation. So, either Heavenly Father answers prayers or he doesn't. I know he does. I do not need to question it, to fight to prove it, or to argue about it, no matter how many threads are started on it.

I think you greatly overestimate how much Snow cares about what you think. Truth be told, I don’t think Snow cares in the least bit about what anyone thinks other than himself. But Snow also likes to pursue a pretty high level of complexity in thought, and he’s quite aware that he can’t see all of the complexities on his own. These little exercises are how Snow works out things in his head (admittedly, he finds a great deal of entertainment in doing so).

Although I don’t always agree with his methods, and I think at times he is just downright rude, Snow is probably one of the most thoughtful and curious people on the board. A lot of people would do well to learn a few things from him.

That being said, Snow, stop picking on my wives. ;)

"And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son."

or

Why Does God Give Contradictory Answers?

or

Why Does God Only Answer Prayers in a Way That Can’t Be Checked?

Three examples:

1. Economy is bad. People need jobs. Good job opens up. People apply. People pray that they get the job. One person gets the job - obviously the other people do not. Are we to assume that God supernaturally intervened (in answer to prayer) to cause one person to get the job that they otherwise would not have gotten, and thus also supernaturally caused the other applicants, who also prayed, to not get the job

3. People are ill, infirm, diseased. They pray to God to be healed. Some then get better. Was God behind it? How would you know? Why does God never heal amputees?

Why?

Attunement is the first initial problem seen with members who never receive an answer. Then to follow on with changing ones life style in order to be receptacle of divine knowledge or living in harmonious pattern set by the Savior Himself.

When the message is lost by the method, then what is the purpose? I can think deep as well, but, generally, I try not to be antagonistic and arrogant. I know Snow doesn't care what other people think. He has proven that very clearly.

And, if Snow were truly thoughtful, he would have realized that his posts offended people and, if he were truly humble, he would not continue to do so.

I think you greatly overestimate how much Snow cares about what you think. Truth be told, I don’t think Snow cares in the least bit about what anyone thinks other than himself. But Snow also likes to pursue a pretty high level of complexity in thought, and he’s quite aware that he can’t see all of the complexities on his own. These little exercises are how Snow works out things in his head (admittedly, he finds a great deal of entertainment in doing so).

Although I don’t always agree with his methods, and I think at times he is just downright rude, Snow is probably one of the most thoughtful and curious people on the board. A lot of people would do well to learn a few things from him.

That being said, Snow, stop picking on my wives. ;)

And, if Snow were truly thoughtful, he would have realized that his posts offended people and, if he were truly humble, he would not continue to do so.

1. I don't have any power to offend anyone. I write words. People choose how they are going to react. They have all the power.

2. Humility has nothing to do with it. Humility has to do with being humble, not in following your wishes.

Why do you choose to be offended?

Gatorman