Elizabeth Smart going on an LDS mission

Hemidakota

I'm sad that no matter what she does or where she goes, she will make the news and people will recognize her as "that little girl that was kidnapped and raped by those crazy people." I wonder why her dad keeps giving media interviews about his daughter.

I'm happy she has chosen to go on a mission.

LM

I've known a couple of rape victims, and their lives were messes even (in one case) fifteen years after the event.

People need to know that you can recover from the mental trauma of sexual assault and live a normal life, and I'm willing to forgive Ed Smart a little self-aggrandizement as he gets that message out.

I've known a couple of rape victims, and their lives were messes even (in one case) fifteen years after the event.

People need to know that you can recover from the mental trauma of sexual assault and live a normal life, and I'm willing to forgive Ed Smart a little self-aggrandizement as he gets that message out.

I agree. Elizabeth herself has even said that that's why she wants her story to remain in the public eye: to show that recovery from something so tragic is absolutely possible. It doesn't have to effect the way you live the rest of your life. It doesn't have to have a lasting, negative impact.

Also, with this specific story, imagine how many LDS rape victims might find hope now that they too can serve a mission, if that was one of their goals prior to their rape. The "raising of the bar" doesn't mean that those forced into sexual relations can't still serve a mission.

Elizabeth herself has even said that that's why she wants her story to remain in the public eye: to show that recovery from something so tragic is absolutely possible.

I didn't realize that was her position - that's very good to hear.

My concern is that a "normal life" doesn't usually include periodic news stories and interviews on "how you're doing X years after the event" - unless you choose that life. My wife was raped umpteen years ago - she very much does not want anything to do with being in any public eye whatsoever. A reporter stopping her for an interview would be a serious disruption in the peaceful life we've managed to create for ourselves, even if it was only once every year or two. But if Elizabeth is seeing the good that can come from it, and wants the occasional interview, then double thumbs up for her.

LM

She may be a beautiful example of the Lords healing power!

"He says she has talked about serving a mission her whole life. "

I am so proud of her to be able to accomplish a lifes goal, after going through just a terrible challenge and ordeal in her young life.

Edited by lilered

If she's gotten the counseling she needed in order to move past the trauma of what happened to her, I think that serving a mission will be a good thing for her. That's my only concern because something that traumatic should be dealt with by talking to a therapist who specializes in trauma recovery, even if that person is through the LDS church. That said, I wish her well on her mission, and hope that it helps her to get on with her life.

• 2 weeks later...

If she's gotten the counseling she needed in order to move past the trauma of what happened to her, I think that serving a mission will be a good thing for her. That's my only concern because something that traumatic should be dealt with by talking to a therapist who specializes in trauma recovery, even if that person is through the LDS church. That said, I wish her well on her mission, and hope that it helps her to get on with her life.

If I recall correctly, Elizabeth did get counseling. and I agree it was absolutely necessary; in fact, I think the family went to counseling all together.

I just want to add that I think Elizabeth's family, from what I've seen, did everything right to create a "nest" of sorts for her to fall into, and rest and heal, completely engulfed by love.

I also think her bishop's (I think he was her bishop) words, that she was still innocent in the eyes of the Lord, were exactly what she needed to hear, especially immediately after she was found. Young boys and girls see themselves as permanently tainted by these experiences, and that rarely goes away.

I wish every child were lucky enough to be raised, nurtured and when the unthinkable happens, healed by such profound love.