The 2nd coming of christ

Thetruechurch

When do you guess this will happen?

The day the lord will make his return to earth is something that always ponders dearly upon my mind. Although nobody specifically knows when, we know these are the last days, but when I look at the prophecies on the last days building up to christs return (some are fulfilled, some are yet to happen), I have the feeling that it will be another 100-200 years.

Signs of the Times - Mormonism, The Mormon Church, Beliefs, & Religion - MormonWiki this page on the Mormon wiki gives an interesting overview of the "signs of the times" and all the prophecies that were set in the old testament and by joseph Smith to when the 2nd coming will occur. Like I some of them are happening (or happened) but many are still to be fulfilled.

Thoughts on this?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The day the lord will make his return to earth is something that always ponders dearly upon my mind. Although nobody specifically knows when, we know these are the last days, but when I look at the prophecies on the last days building up to christs return (some are fulfilled, some are yet to happen), I have the feeling that it will be another 100-200 years.

Signs of the Times - Mormonism, The Mormon Church, Beliefs, & Religion - MormonWiki this page on the Mormon wiki gives an interesting overview of the "signs of the times" and all the prophecies that were set in the old testament and by joseph Smith to when the 2nd coming will occur. Like I some of them are happening (or happened) but many are still to be fulfilled.

Thoughts on this?

Elder McConkie, in his book "The Millennial Messiah" pub. 1982, said that based on the necessary logistics it would probably take another 70 years.

He was guessing.

I think we need to live as if it were coming today. And I think that's the whole point of it.

HiJolly

Well I used the think it would be April 6, 2030. 2000 years since the beginning of Christ's ministry and 200 years since the founding of the Church. But then I found out the Christ was probably not born in the year 1. He was more likely born in the year 4BC. So I'm currently revising my theory.

Actually, Christ was born in the year 1 BC. Since there was no year 0, it went straight from 1 BC to 1 AD (on Christ's 1st year birth day). Joseph Smith is on record as saying he "believed" (or it was his opinion) the birth of Christ to be 1 BC and that the calendar remained very accurate considering the complicated history surrounding the times. Other prophets have stated the same opinion.

In any case, there is evidence that it could be on April 6th. That's kind of what I've always believed. It would be as good and as logical of a day as any. As far as the year... I'm thinking another 50 years is too far distant.

Thoughts on this?

100-200 years at the very most; maybe a lot sooner;:)

Guest xforeverxmetalx

I think it could be either in 2012 or 2013... a few months before or after the Mayan theory believers expects it to. Just to throw us off.

Nah I don't really know, but I do think it'll be in my lifetime.

I don't think it's in our immediate future, but I do think that he will return in my lifetime. My guess would be 15-20 years. But who knows?

Although at the same time, it may not be for much longer than that. It talks about in my wife's patriarchal blessing on how she will be bless with more than enough temporal goods. I don't see us being rich any time soon. haha

Edited by CopenKagan

It talks about in my wife's patriarchal blessing on how she will be bless with more than enough temporal goods. I don't see us being rich any time soon. haha

Many of us in America and other countries of the world are very rich in material goods compared to many others who live in extreme poverty.

Thoughts on this?

Soon...however, many thing still needs to in place prior to His return. But coming in another 100-years is too far out. I would hedge with 10-20 yrs time frame.

I am not going to guess how many years but my feeling is that it will happen soon. From the way the world is headed and the things that have happened I get the feeling that the second coming will be soon. I told my husband the other day that I hope I either die early on during it all or that I make it through safely, but either way if I do die I hope it is fast. I think the second coming will be a great and terrible thing with lots of disasters and lots of death.

I like what someone else said on this thread, "Live as if he was coming tomorrow".

While, I didn't do more than glance at the list linked to, my own research makes me think we've got more than just a couple of years. Admittedly, however, anything on these lists could happen alarmingly fast, but some sure look like they'd take some time.

Considering the fact that modern prophets have revealed that:

• the temple in Jerusalem must be rebuilt first

Joseph Smith: “Judah must return, Jerusalem must be rebuilt, and the temple, and water come out from under the temple … and all this must be done before the Son of Man will make His appearance.”

• AND that it will be built by BELIEVING JEWS

Orson Pratt: “The Temple at Jerusalem will undoubtedly be built, by those who believe in the true Messiah. Its construction will be, in some respects different from the Temples now being built. It will contain the throne of the Lord, upon which he will, at times, personally sit, and will reign over the house of Israel for ever.”

• AND that the gospel will is to be preached to the Gentiles until they reject it and THEN be preached to the House of Judah

Wilford Woodruff: “When the Gentiles reject the Gospel it will be taken from them, and go to the House of Israel, to that long-suffering people that are now scattered abroad through all the nations upon the earth, … and they will rebuild Jerusalem their ancient city, and make it more glorious than at the beginning, and they will have a leader in Israel with them, a man that is full of the power of God and the gift of the Holy Ghost; but they are held now from this work, only because the fulness of the Gentiles has not yet come in.”

... I think we've got a bit of a window. Personally, I'll hit PANIC-MODE when

“… the throne and kingdom of David... will be given to another by the name of David in the last days, raised up out of his lineage.” (Joseph Smith)

- or when the Dead Sea is healed. :lol:

Last quote is a interesting one. There is young lad [22yr old] who middle name is David received a blessing where it states, "the house of Israel shall bow down at your feet...". "You will write scriptures..." "You will have the wisdom of Solomon of old..." and so forth. Now, I hear he wants to learn Hebrew for unknown reason.

Actually, Christ was born in the year 1 BC. Since there was no year 0, it went straight from 1 BC to 1 AD (on Christ's 1st year birth day). Joseph Smith is on record as saying he "believed" (or it was his opinion) the birth of Christ to be 1 BC and that the calendar remained very accurate considering the complicated history surrounding the times. Other prophets have stated the same opinion.

In any case, there is evidence that it could be on April 6th. That's kind of what I've always believed. It would be as good and as logical of a day as any. As far as the year... I'm thinking another 50 years is too far distant.

A lot of people think that 2012 will be the end of the world because that's when the Mayan calendar ends.

I agree with this line of thinking, but I think it will be January 31st, 2010 that the world ends.

I looked at my calendar and, get this: It ends January 31st, 2010!

You mean Enoch's calendar. I know what others may give credit too but Mayans [Nephites] are not the author of such but may have been authored by Jared's people or brought forth from the time of the tower.

2012 is a great opportunity for the Godhead in removing the spirit from the world but not from the righteous. :lol: I can see over the next 10-15 yrs what befalls the world if that happened.

You mean Enoch's calendar. I know what others may give credit too but Mayans [Nephites] are not the author of such but may have been authored by Jared's people or brought forth from the time of the tower.

2012 is a great opportunity for the Godhead in removing the spirit from the world but not from the righteous. :lol: I can see over the next 10-15 yrs what befalls the world if that happened.

It is also very likely that the Book of Enoch was included in the Brass Plates. Since Christ and his apostles quoted from the Book of Enoch, it seems to have been a prominent book of scripture to even the Jews until sometime shortly after Christ.

History. The Book of Enoch was dropped from the Jewish scriptures shortly after Christ, most likely because it apparently referred to him as the Messiah. It was quoted as scripture by the early Christian Church fathers until the middle of the third century AD, accepted as a divine work having been written by Enoch himself.[5] It then fell into disrepute and was banned from the canon of scripture in the fourth century, partly because it didn't agree with how Christianity came to be redefined after the death of the apostles. (Enoch Calendar)

Regards,

Vanhin