Approved colors?

beefche

Why do the Brethren only wear dark colored suits? Is that listed in the CHI? I would think that a lighter colored suit would be more appropriate since Jesus wore cream colored or white robes (according to all the pictures of Him). Do you think the church should be more vocal on color choices?

I see lots of dark colored suits, which is fine because the baby blue makes me think i'm stuck in the 70's. However, I would like to see more color in the shirts. Why is it always white? Whats wrong with blue or pink. Before any of you men comment on the pink let me just say, It takes a real man to wear pink.

Considering my experience with my husband here are my thoughts. Suits are worn by men. Men have a tendency to somehow without explanation get their clothes dirty very quickly. Darker colors have less tendency to show off dirt. Suits are generally dry clean only. It is much easier if the suits are dark in color to save on dry cleaning bills.

I see lots of dark colored suits, which is fine because the baby blue makes me think i'm stuck in the 70's. However, I would like to see more color in the shirts. Why is it always white? Whats wrong with blue or pink. Before any of you men comment on the pink let me just say, It takes a real man to wear pink.

Be happy the Lord doesn't appear to you in a pink shirt and a yellow suit. ^_^

Why do the Brethren only wear dark colored suits? Is that listed in the CHI? I would think that a lighter colored suit would be more appropriate since Jesus wore cream colored or white robes (according to all the pictures of Him). Do you think the church should be more vocal on color choices?

That comparison only works if modern men stick to dark red ties, because all the pictures have Jesus wearing a dark red sash or other piece of cloth over the robe. If you're going to make comparisons, go the distance.

I wish my husband would wear a tan suit and pastel shirts- he would look so much better than in the black and super dark navy he is now wearing.

He can not tell the difference between the black and navy- I can, yet he won't change when I tell him he has the black suit jacket with the navy pants and black shoes!! His comment- dark is dark.

I have tried and tried to get him to get a pair of brown shoes and then a tan suit along with pastel blue or green stripe (super pastel green stripe on pastel green shirt, etc.) When he worked for Kaiser-Permenete in CA he wore different colored suits, shirts and ties. He was one spiffy dresser.

But since he retired from there and moved back to AZ, it is navy and black- blah, yuck, eeewwww!

He can not tell the difference between the black and navy- I can, yet he won't change when I tell him he has the black suit jacket with the navy pants and black shoes!! His comment- dark is dark.

lol that is something some of my boys would do.

my husband is stuck on dark suits. my in-laws took my at the time 7yr old shopping for his birthday. they asked him what he needed and he said a new church suit (his was fine). they let him pick out whatever suit he wanted. he came back with a tan suit with light blue stripes (slacks and vest), and a light blue shirt. it actually went well with the tie he already had. i thought my husband was going to die. if i had bought it he would have made me take it back to the store but since his parents did it he got to keep it. i don't think you will ever convince him dad knows more when it comes to suits now. we had about 5 teen girls visit from a different ward that first sunday he wore it. they were all over him. thought he was the cutest thing ever, loved the suit. he just grinned.

I hate tan suits...I think they are flat out ugly. My hubby has to be clean shaven every Sunday and were a white shirt. The bishop told him that all men who hold callings should be neatly dressed and look tidy. I love my hubbys beard and I hate that he can't have but it is what the bishop expects. Hubby is the EQ president so he even has to dress up for his weekly meeting...but he usually wears khaki colored dress pants and a white shirt and tie.

When I was investigating the Church, I noticed most of the men wore white shirts and ties. Well, I wanted to conform a little, so I went out and bought a tie, but I did not want to be too much of a conformist, so I bought different colored shirts. Upon my confirmation, the missionaries very excitedly stated that I now could go out on calls with them. The Bishop said somewhat grumpily, "After he gets a white shirt." I said, "Oh I need a white shirt?" To which he tersely replied, "Yeah, look around you!" I had no idea that a white shirt was a symbolic gesture. I just thought that the men in the Church were homogenized.

To which he tersely replied, "Yeah, look around you!" I had no idea that a white shirt was a symbolic gesture. I just thought that the men in the Church were homogenized.

At least this isn't the skin tight pants and Converse tennis shoes all the kids wanted to wear as a uniform when I was young. We were such conformists. The more mature I became, the sillier the notion of why we thought such conformity was important became. We were following the crowd for fashion. Thank goodness for maturity and eternal progression since I can no longer fit into skinny legged pants.

:)

Guest mormonmusic

I wore a white suit once to Church, no tie, with broad lapels.

And when I invited the congregation to sustain a member for a calling (I was in the Bishopric), I stood in a John Travolta Saturday Night Fever pose to kick off the sustaining.

Because the opening talk was on Resurrection, I also had the music leader play a stirring rendition of "Stayin' Alive" just to keep the theme alive.

Very well received. Sad part, I was released almost immediately after the meeting, so I never got to lead the ward again.

Maybe next time.

Reference: Amazon.com: Saturday Night Fever (30th Anniversary Special Collector's Edition): John Travolta, Karen Gorney, Barry Miller, John Badham: Movies & TV

Edited by mormonmusic
spelling error; addition of reference

Guest mormonmusic

I had no idea that a white shirt was a symbolic gesture. I just thought that the men in the Church were homogenized.

When they get older, and have served faithfully in a lot of callings, they also get pasteurized. Some end up on the High Council :)

When they get older, and have served faithfully in a lot of callings, they also get pasteurized. Some end up on the High Council :)

Does pasteurized refer to GA's that are Emeritus?

Guest mormonmusic

Oh my gosh, mormonmusic, that's so gay.

Thanks Ronism -- you're not the first person to comment on my cheerful, happy-go-lucky disposition :D

Edited by mormonmusic

Guest mirancs8

I don't know but I like the traditional black/navy suit with the white shirt over any other combination. I'm not crazy about different colored suits on men as not every man can carry it. Trust me on this one I've seen some men who shouldn't be allowed out of the house in those pink dress shirts and those "I need my sunglasses" bright ties.

I think men look very handsome in the traditional suit. Plus I think it's better at church when the men look somewhat similar as to not stand out more then the other. There may be those in the ward who only have 1 suit because they can only afford one which happens to be black or navy. I would imagine that most men have at least 1 traditional black/navy suit so save the snazzy suit for when you take your lovely lady out for the evening.