Sayings People Just Don't Get Right!

Bini

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest xforeverxmetalx

"Can I axe you a question?" - all the time.

Take it for granite--instead of take it for granted

I've heard it used that way, except mostly as a lame joke about construction or kitchens or something along those lines. My jokes, on the other hand, rock.

Edited by xforeverxmetalx

The ones that most drive me crazy:

For all Intents and Purposes - So many people use 'For all intensive purposes'. I want to know what an intensive purpose is.

Literally - When someone says "I am literally gutted", what they mean is that someone is, in reality, taking a blade to their belly and gutting them. They can say 'I am gutted', or 'I am figuratively gutted', but they are not literally being gutted. And people use literally for a number of non-gutted things, "I am literally dying here!" "He literally tore me apart!"

I used to work with a guy who became flustrated. Never could tell if he was flustered or frustrated, or both at the same time.

My dad still says flusterated. I laugh, everytime....inside so he doesn't here me and get more flusterated!! :P

My dad also says libary, not library....

I hate when people say ecspecially, um the word is especially......my daughter's teacher got here saying it, I corrected that fast!

Ok, sorry those are words, not sayings......

My dad still says flusterated. I laugh, everytime....inside so he doesn't here me and get more flusterated!! :P

I hate when people say ecspecially, um the word is especially......my daughter's teacher got here saying it, I corrected that fast!

Ooooh! Or "eckcetera" or "expresso". if we're talking about mispronunciations and misspellings, "rouge" when they mean "rogue". If it ain't makeup or a colour, it's probably rogue.

I sometimes say things wrong just to see if anyone notices, but mainly to get a reaction from my kids.

Pronunciation of words that drive me crazy: Probly or prolly instead of probably. Fer instead of for. Kindiegarten instead of kindergarten.

My husband says "fer" instead of "for" all the time. I tell him he sounds like an uneducated hillbilly when he says it. For example: "We went fer a drive". Aagh!

Another word that gets misused, in Utah at least, is the word forget. Many people here use the present tense when they should be using the past tense--I forget instead of I forgot.

Edited by classylady

Pronunciation of words that drive me crazy: Probly, instead of probably. Fer instead of for. Kindiegarten instead of kindergarten.

My husband says fer instead of for all the time. I tell him he sounds like an uneducated hillbilly when he says it. Example: "We went fer a drive". Aagh!

I don't mind alternate pronunciations or ways of saying things. I teased my wife about her Pittsburghese when we got married, but when she started changing her speech, I told her I didn't want that. Her "redding up the room" and "running the sweeper" is part of the charm of hearing her. I admit that I do get a little bothered by people saying things totally wrong.

No one (well, only one person) laughed at my "could of" example. I fear it's because no one realized it was wrong...

I am a writer and sometimes-editor, and as such I need to be aware -- hyperaware -- of spelling and word usage. Ironically, I have spent years trying to DEsensitize myself to such things because I felt like taking critical note of such speech or writing habits was negatively affecting my opinion of the speaker or writer.

Edited by Vort
How embarrassing -- a typo <blush>