Habeas Corpus - Priesthood Session

mordorbund

Of all the sessions of General Conference (and you can even include the Relief Society meeting in this if you want), only the Priesthood session requires me to physically be in a church building. Any ideas why?

My thoughts considered the Elders' Conference mentioned in D&C 20, but the matters of business listed there are all handled in other ways or in local conferences now. Even the solemn assembly where we sustain the new Prophet is not conducted in this meeting, but in one of the general meetings broadcasted over the radio and Internet.

So, why must the body be present for the Priesthood Session?

I wonder if it is not because there are certain things within the Priesthood that are more sacred and shouldn't be available to the general public.

I remember rumors about 3 years ago, that they would make it available by streaming it over the internet and you would have to log in with your membership number to show that you are a member and that you hold the Priesthood. I don't know what ever happened to that.

Hypothetically, I believe the general body of priesthood holders is still supposed to be a governing body of the Church and theoretically Church business might get transacted in such a meeting. Maybe, for that reason, it's deemed advisable that participants be in an honest-to-gosh "meeting" type of setting.

pam, I'm not sure I agree with that. The video, audio, and written talks are available with the rest of conference. So, there has to be something about meeting together, physically, as a priesthood.

That's very true. It was just my first thought.

I do not dress up in a white shirt and tie to watch General Conference sessions (though my children usually convince me to put on pants). Given the importance of Priesthood functions and that Priesthood meeting is a Priesthood function, I wonder if getting the brethren to dress up in their Priesthood duds, both physically and spiritually, is not one reason we still meet as a body for Priesthood.

Of all the sessions of General Conference (and you can even include the Relief Society meeting in this if you want), only the Priesthood session requires me to physically be in a church building. Any ideas why?

My thoughts considered the Elders' Conference mentioned in D&C 20, but the matters of business listed there are all handled in other ways or in local conferences now. Even the solemn assembly where we sustain the new Prophet is not conducted in this meeting, but in one of the general meetings broadcasted over the radio and Internet.

So, why must the body be present for the Priesthood Session?

My guess is if something sacred has to be shared or discussed.

Perhaps because we LOVE meetings so much. (sarcasm off). I think the OP has a good question, and I'm not sure any of us have a good answer. I mean clearly the talks are all available for everyone once the session concludes. Business is conducted in other sessions including SA, so not really sure. There are some good guesses above, but I don't know if there is a real answer for it.

-RM

I wonder if it is not because there are certain things within the Priesthood that are more sacred and shouldn't be available to the general public.

I remember rumors about 3 years ago, that they would make it available by streaming it over the internet and you would have to log in with your membership number to show that you are a member and that you hold the Priesthood. I don't know what ever happened to that.

Um, aren't we forgetting that the entire proceedings of the priesthood session are published, for the whole world to see, the following month? I've got the video of Elder Snow's talk from last April's priesthood session playing right now... o_O

Believe me, nothing so sacred that it has to be kept secret is going on in the priesthood session (I've attended them for so many years I oughta know! :lol:). I mean for heaven's sake, twelve-year-old boys attend these meetings.

Um, aren't we forgetting that the entire proceedings of the priesthood session are published, for the whole world to see, the following month? I've got the video of Elder Snow's talk from last April's priesthood session playing right now... o_O

Believe me, nothing so sacred that it has to be kept secret is going on in the priesthood session (I've attended them for so many years I oughta know! :lol:). I mean for heaven's sake, twelve-year-old boys attend these meetings.

And did you not read after Beefche reminded me of that, that I said it was just my first thought?

Perhaps because we LOVE meetings so much. (sarcasm off).

"We believe in meetings, we hope for meetings, we have endured many meetings and hope to be able to endure all meetings. If there are any meetings that are virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these meetings."

No I think it so the men get out and get some exercise :)

I can imagine Sister Monson selecting a tie for President Monson and telling him to have a good time with all the other men. As he leaves, the driveway fills with cars that spill out into the street. 20, maybe 50 women get out and bring enough twister mats and prunes to have a really good time.

Of all the responses, I think the Priesthood-as-a-government-body may be the best. My problem with it is that I don't know what business is officially supposed to happen there that isn't already done elsewhere. Keeping track of ordinations and baptisms (as outlined in D&C 20) are now handled via MLS. The solemn assembly where we sustain a new Prophet on a per quorum basis is done in a general session. Any idea what business should be transacted in the Priesthood meeting?

As far as I can tell, no governing business at all is conducted during the General Priesthood Meeting. The GAs lead the Church as a whole, and even though many people in attendance are local leaders, their governing actions are done in local meetings. I think the purpose of the General Priesthood Meeting is instruction in things pertaining to the priesthood. Why it's not broadcast live on TV or via the Internet, given that it'll be available to everybody within the week, I don't know. For that matter, I don't know why the General Relief Society Meeting isn't broadcast live, either. Maybe the content is not secret, but they just like having special events for the women and men separately. There's something to be said for that--attending a meeting in person does make for a certain ambiance, and provides a different experience than watching it on a screen. (shrug)

I don't know why the General Relief Society Meeting isn't broadcast live, either.

It is, it's sitting on my DVR (recorded off BYU at 8pm Eastern on 9/24, which would have made it a live broadcast) as I type this. Also looking at this website it was made available live online: General Relief Society Meeting to Be Held on September 24, 2011 - Church News and Events

Edited by Dravin

"We believe in meetings, we hope for meetings, we have endured many meetings and hope to be able to endure all meetings. If there are any meetings that are virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these meetings."

You got it right! lol

It is, it's sitting on my DVR (recorded off BYU at 8pm Eastern on 9/24, which would have made it a live broadcast) as I type this. Also looking at this website it was made available live online: General Relief Society Meeting to Be Held on September 24, 2011 - Church News and Events

Thank you, Dravin. I was not aware of that (obviously! :lol:).

Sorry in advance for the long article, but it probably is the best answer to your question. It is an article posted in the Deseret News last year:

Priesthood session is a chance to strengthen ties

Trent Toone

Published: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:22 a.m. MDT

Brotherhood. Duty. Spirit. Tradition. No, it's not a marketing slogan for BYU football.

They are words that describe the purpose of attending general priesthood meeting, a semiannual event for male members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

In "The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball," President Kimball says the purpose of general conference is to strengthen the members: "We meet together often in the church in conferences to worship the Lord, to feast upon the words of Christ, and to be built up in faith and testimony."

The priesthood session — broadcast to holders of the Aaronic and Melchizedek priesthood (ages 12 and older) all over the world on Saturday at 6 p.m. (Mountain Daylight Time) — is no different. But there is an added element of bonding and brotherhood that should exist, according to Brad Wilcox, a former seminary teacher, mission president, popular speaker and LDS author.

"Part of the reason we go to priesthood isn't just to listen to the speakers. It is also to connect with the people sitting around us," Wilcox said. "If (priesthood holders) come in late, sit in the back, listen and leave early to beat the traffic, then they are kind of missing the point of the meeting."

Wilcox said most young men are dragged to the priesthood session by family members or local church leaders, sit with their heads down the whole time and can't wait to get out.

"If they could recognize there is more to it than that," Wilcox said.

Wilcox shared two ideas that might help young men prepare for a more engaging experience at general priesthood meeting.

First, he said, priesthood session is a great opportunity to find true heroes.

"Young men can find heroes among the prophets, but they can also find touchable heroes among the leaders attending the priesthood session," Wilcox said. "We don't talk during the meeting, but before and after the meeting, take a few minutes to talk with the people around you, to greet friends and people, and talk about a part you enjoyed or something you heard that was good."

One interesting question raised by Wilcox for young men to ponder is why general authorities travel from all over the world to gather at conference time.

"Why do they go to that expense? Why don't they just use a live video feed or connect by phone or computer? Why spend the money to travel all the way to Salt Lake City and be together?" Wilcox said. "Obviously there is something to be gained as they get together, fellowship and strengthen each other, as well as listen to talks. Maybe that is what is missing in priesthood meeting among young men."

The second idea suggested by Wilcox is to have a priesthood session tradition. Whether it is getting together for dinner, pie, ice cream sundaes or root beer floats, a simple tradition can make going to priesthood more fun.

For example, while the men in Elder Russell M. Nelson's family attend priesthood session, the Nelson women make doughnuts in preparation for their return. Then as everyone chomps, licks fingers and wipes mouths, the men share what they learned at priesthood meeting.

"It's a nice family tradition, symbolic of the fact that everything we learn and do as priesthood bearers should bless our families," Elder Nelson said in his April 1999 talk "Our Sacred Duty to Honor Women."

If you don't have a priesthood tradition, Wilcox encourages starting one.

"If you aren't part of a tradition, instead of feeling left out, start something yourself," he said. "Get together with friends, leaders or quorum members, and decide you are going to start something. Don't hesitate."

Anthony Sweat, another seminary teacher and LDS author, likes to challenge young men to listen to the messages and identify ways to better perform their priesthood duties.

"In priesthood session, a lot of the talks generally have a theme connected to duty," he said. "When I debrief with my seminary students about priesthood session, I usually ask them, 'What insights did you gain about your duty as a priesthood holder?' Or, 'As a result of going to priesthood session, what do you feel like you learned about how to be a better priesthood bearer?'"

My thoughts exactly bstone. Even though it is available online or in print (which I am very grateful for since I am often working on Saturdays), there is a special sense of camaraderie that exists in fathers taking their sons or Elders of a quorum seeing eachother at the Priesthood session.

As the youngest of three sons, once I was old enough to receive the priesthood my father would take my two brothers and I to priesthood session and then we would get ice cream afterward. Yesterday my brother who lives in another state sent me a text message before Priesthood session that even though he was away from his father and brothers (He lives in TX, we in AZ), that he was still going to go get ice cream afterward. He sent me a picture of the ice cream he had from an ice cream shop and I sent him a picture of the DQ Blizzard I'd gotten. It was fun and added a lot to the experience even though we weren't together.