Jaywalking Missionaries

MikeSpady

Here, let me help you:

Belief and reconcilation comes FIRST before being saved by grace after all we can do.

Here's another:

It's not saying we have to be perfect before we are saved. It's saying that ultimately it's the grace of Christ that saves us--no matter what or how much we do, we are saved by Jesus.

No defensiveness. I've asked you to clarify your claim or question. You keep bringing up jaywalking and crosswalks. In order to have a question answered, a question needs to be asked.

We answered your previous question, so what about our answers are confusing?

Just a thought, I apologize for causing emotional distress among you. You may want to consider why your responses were defensive. You can't reason with the unreasonable. Good night

... meaning you aren't winning so you your going to take your toys and go home.

My take on it..it was none of your business to approach them and inappropriate to them come post about it on a LDS board. Just comes off as being very self-righteous.

About as much as I consider flossing to be in the category of doing all you can do.

But isn't the body a temple unto the Lord? :D

Be ye therefore perfect, even as I, or your father in heaven is perfect. ;)

Oh the fun we can have...

No, but LDS doctrine appears to. You guys refuse to answer a simple question.

Actually, you got us. LDS doctrine does indeed make the proper use of sidewalks a prerequisite to salvation. See 2 Michael 95:6:

Thou shalt not set thy left foot nor thy right foot on a street outside of the solid white lines, lest I come and smite thee with a smiting that is sore to be smitten; and neither repentance, nor canned "prayers" printed on the back of the pamphlet you got from that bearded guy outside of Temple Square, nor even the grace of any Divine Being shall ever ease thine eternal sufferings.

[i might have rendered a plainer translation to this, but it is sufficiently plain to suit my purpose as it stands].

But more seriously, Mike: If (which is surely what you're driving towards) no work of ours can save us, then why are you bothering to preach to us? Even if you somehow manage to convince us of the error of our ways, wouldn't our rejection of works and our acceptance of grace alone itself constitute an "act" and therefore, according to your theology, be utterly worthless? Your (pardon the pun) "gracing" us with your presence is a tacit admission that man's choices do, to some extent, play a role in his own salvation.

Bottom line: We are drowning. God throws us a rope called "grace". The fact that we have to grab that rope in order to be saved, in no way diminishes God's munificence and love. Nit-picking about how hard we have to grab that rope in order to play theological "gotcha" is only marginally better than arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, and ultimately only diminishes the grace of that Being whom you purport to worship.

I teach a Walking for Fitness class at the high school level. Before our first off-campus walk, I instructed my students to observe all traffic law, ie. use crosswalks and no jaywalking. Not two minutes after I gave these instructions, my entire class witnessed two Mormon missionaries jaywalk. I wanted to approach them but they were going in the opposite direction. God presented me an opportunity one hour later as they reappeared and were walking in my direction. I told them they were not a good testimony to their Church as my students witnessed them jaywalking. I then stated that I thought obedience was necessary to be considered worthy enough to be saved. 2 Nephi 25:23 "that it is by graced we are saved, after all we can do." I asked them if they thought using a crosswalk would be included in the concept of "all we can do". Seems to me it would as compared to what Christ did for us, endure an agonizing death on the cross. They were speechless and made no comment. Any thoughts?

I am speechless at your judgementalism. And at what lengths (and lows) you went in order to find a 'reason' to attack missionaries/the LDS Church.

Just a thought, I apologize for causing emotional distress among you. You may want to consider why your responses were defensive. You can't reason with the unreasonable. Good night

Perhaps you might want to consider why you felt it necessary to harass and judge two strangers on the street and then come here to also judge.

And I seriously doubt that you caused any 'emotional distress' here, and I didn't see a single defensive response.

I think it's interesting how people with views like this believe it's Satan telling us that we have to keep God's commandments.

Do they really belive that's what he does?

It's consistent though... Christ taught people to keep the commandments and they accused Him of having or being a devil.

Mike?

I understand. Your students were probably pretty young. The missionaries jaywalking set a bad example.

I get it.

But walking up to two kids and telling them they're damned because of not following traffic laws seems far more Pharisaical.

Tell me: How many steps is a man allowed to take on Sunday for it to count as a day of rest?