Are we commanded to attend church meetings?

jcob

I was just wondering if it was a commandment to attend all church meetings, or even specific ones. Sacrament meeting? What about things like Priesthood and and Sunday School? I understand that we do benefit from attending, just wondering if we have been told to.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are commanded to meet together often. So i'd say yes we are. (and no its not specified for when or how long in the scriptures)

While going because we are commanded to is better than not going... Going because we care more for the Lord and for the others that attend more than what is in it for us, is greater still.

Edited by Blackmarch

Well, Exodus 20:12 tells us that we're to "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy." So if the church holds three meetings on Sunday, I'd assume that we should attend all three. I guess one thing to think about is, what are you doing if you're not in church? Are you still keeping the Sabbath holy?

According to D&C 20:75 the Lord says it is "expedient that the church meet together often to partake of bread and wine in the remembrance of the Lord Jesus;" it then goes into the sacramental prayers. These prayers are a renewal of the covenant that we make at baptism, that members are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him, and keep his commandments which he has given them;" and then the blessing we receive in return is that "they may always have his Spirit to be with them." I mean, this sounds to me like sacrament is at least very strongly recommended, if not commanded. I know there are circumstances where some members have to work, or whatever and cannot attend each week, and I'm sure the Lord has this taken care of. :rolleyes:

Of course the other two hours worth of classes are a chance for the Saints to get together and discuss in an open format the scriptures, or the words of our church leaders. Each brother and/or sister has something to offer in these classes. We're all unique in the gospel, with various experiences or thoughts, and they add to the classes. But whether we're actually *commanded* to attend all three -- I don't know.

I was told that in order to be considered 'active' in going to church meetings (for temple recommend purposes) that you only have to attend one meeting a quarter. I don't know if that means an entire 3 hour block, or just sacrament meeting...

Apparently it is the whole three hour block twice a month in order to keep the Temple Recommend.

I go every week anyway!

Edited to add - the Temple Recommend

Q8. Do you strive to keep the covenants you have made, to attend your sacrament and other meetings, and to keep your life in harmony with the laws and commandments of the gospel? stion is on attending Sacrament

So the answer is the whole block of meetings, not just Sacrament

Edited by Jezebel2011

We are commanded to attend Church meetings. Sacrament and Priesthood meetings are required.

So what if there's a case like with my 83 year old mother who is hearing impaired and can't hear any of the speakers during Sacrament and they don't make any provisions for her to be able to hear (and please don't say 'sit up front' because that's worse yet), is she then breaking a commamdment?

Guest gopecon

So what if there's a case like with my 83 year old mother who is hearing impaired and can't hear any of the speakers during Sacrament and they don't make any provisions for her to be able to hear (and please don't say 'sit up front' because that's worse yet), is she then breaking a commamdment?

The principle is that we are to attend our meetings. There are of course going to be exceptions where people cannot go for a variety of acceptable reasons. As to your mother, if she is physically able she can still go and receive the sacrament. What type of provisions to you have in mind that the ward could do to help her to hear the messages? I assume that her hearing loss is a result of old age, not a lifelong problem, so providing sign language interpretation would not help.

I don't see how. She's doing her part by going, if anything the fault (if there is any) would fall on the heads of those in charge, if they have not attempted anything to remedy the situation (which draws the question do the leaders know she has a hearing problem?).

It also needs to be remembered that the main thing we do when we meet to gether is to partake of the sacrament.

What do YOU think? More importantly, what does SHE think?

No, She's 83yo and they can make arrangements to bring the Sacrament to her home.

For the last 4 decades (that I can speak of) it has been taught that Sacrement meeting and Priesthood/Relief Society is 'commanded'. If you look at the block meeting setup with this in mind it is no wonder that SS falls between the two. However, the only doctrine on this was mentioned and it is that we should meet together often. Everything after this is opinion, interpretation, conjecture, or admonition or some other thing, but commanded specifically it is not.

Still, love of the Lord will bear the fruit of full attendance if we are otherwise able. What "able" means is an individual or family decision.

Edited by Magen_Avot

I was told that in order to be considered 'active' in going to church meetings (for temple recommend purposes) that you only have to attend one meeting a quarter. I don't know if that means an entire 3 hour block, or just sacrament meeting...

Apparently it is the whole three hour block twice a month in order to keep the Temple Recommend.

It's solely up to the bishop and stake president to decide what constitutes sufficient activity to qualify for a temple recommend.

To be considered 'active' on the official church membership report, you need to attend at least once each quarter, but only the months of March, June, September, and December are tracked. Names aren't included on the report anyway, so no one outside of the ward leadership would know if you are active or not.

The definitions of 'active' vary greatly from person to person.

To put another twist on it, we could refer to the Doctrine and Covenants where it says that we are to be actively engaged in good works (paraphrased and butchered, I'm sure). Does meeting attendance matter as much as actually doing the work of salvation?*

*Note: I'm not advocating any particular answer to that question.

It is interesting to me what has been said concerning commandments. If one makes an actual and carful study of precise covenants we make - one will discover a few rather interesting “things”. The first discovery will be that commandments are vague and open to vast interpretation.

The point of covenant is not to define every minute detail and each step to eternal life. The attitude of - okay what do I have to do to get salvation - is the wrong question but much more the wrong attitude.

Attending church meetings is neither the goal nor the purpose of a disciple of Christ. These things are provided to assist us and help develop us into the kind of saints that comprise the citizens of G-d’s kingdom. Can a person become a saint without attending church? I believe it is possible - but I also believe that a deliberate attitude to avoid church meetings will doom them to error. Just like a person can love music and be rather good at music; but a dislike of practice and deliberate avoidance of opportunity to develop musical talent will result in failure to become an accomplished musician.

In short, in many situations it seems to me that individuals that do not seek to develop their talents (spiritual or otherwise) through desire, discipline and commitment will never reach the potential of their abilities. The old attitude of “I did it my way” is seldom the battle cry of a undefeated army.

Success is not so much doing what you want as it is wanting to get it right.

The Traveler

Guest gopecon

No, She's 83yo and they can make arrangements to bring the Sacrament to her home.

Carl didn't say that she has difficulty walking, just hearing. If that is the case, there's no reason for the priesthood to take the time to deliver the sacrament to someone who could have regular sacrament attendance.

(I'm not trying to be difficult, but when the issue of bringing someone the sacrament comes up in the many PEC meetings I've attended, bishops tend to treat it as a service that can be offered if truly needed. From what I've seen they are reluctant to make it too easy to avoid going to the actual meeting. When someone really can't get out, there's generally no problem having the sacrament brought - indeed it's an honor to serve them.)

Guest mormonmusic

Yes, and if you don't attend regularly, by whatever definition, you can't have a temple recommend. That's one of the Temple Recommend questions.

Frankly, this stuff isn't consistently enforced, nor should it be as people have all different situations. I've seen people who NEVER come, in the temple. It's not up to me to judge, though.

I was just wondering if it was a commandment to attend all church meetings, or even specific ones. Sacrament meeting? What about things like Priesthood and and Sunday School? I understand that we do benefit from attending, just wondering if we have been told to.

I teach Sunday School as a result of work and heath fined myself only attending SS. When my wife is working I just sit in the High Counsel room (where my class in held) and listen to Sacrament. The older I get the less interested I am at attending any meeting s with my wife. In Temple recommend interviews (I've done many) this is a question that is asked.

I don't see how. She's doing her part by going, if anything the fault (if there is any) would fall on the heads of those in charge, if they have not attempted anything to remedy the situation (which draws the question do the leaders know she has a hearing problem?).

It also needs to be remembered that the main thing we do when we meet to gether is to partake of the sacrament.

As far as her now going, she goes now about once every other month. She has no hearing in her right ear and 50% in her left so she can hear some, but when it comes to most of the speakers, I know she probably isn't hearing much of anything because alot of them have their heads down when they talk because their reading off of a paper or they just mumble through their talks with a fast "inthenameofJesusChristAmen" at the end. As far as whether the leaders know of her hearing situation, oh yes they do! I've made the point many times about it, followed by the typical response of "well, we'll try to see what we can do about it." Nothing is ever said or gets done.

As far as her now going, she goes now about once every other month. She has no hearing in her right ear and 50% in her left so she can hear some, but when it comes to most of the speakers, I know she probably isn't hearing much of anything because alot of them have their heads down when they talk because their reading off of a paper or they just mumble through their talks with a fast "inthenameofJesusChristAmen" at the end. As far as whether the leaders know of her hearing situation, oh yes they do! I've made the point many times about it, followed by the typical response of "well, we'll try to see what we can do about it." Nothing is ever said or gets done.

I'm sorry to hear that. As it appears shes doing her part, then no fault can be attributed to her.

Generally whats done where i live is if someone has a lot of difficulty in going to church we send out the priesthood to do a sacrament service for them instead, which usually consists of opening and closing prayers, blessing and giving the bread and water, and sharing a short message and a hymn.

I'm sorry to hear that. As it appears shes doing her part, then no fault can be attributed to her.

Generally whats done where i live is if someone has a lot of difficulty in going to church we send out the priesthood to do a sacrament service for them instead, which usually consists of opening and closing prayers, blessing and giving the bread and water, and sharing a short message and a hymn.

hmm that would be nice. We listen to talks on byutv then the priesthood comes and gives us the Sacrament.

Carl didn't say that she has difficulty walking, just hearing. If that is the case, there's no reason for the priesthood to take the time to deliver the sacrament to someone who could have regular sacrament attendance.

(I'm not trying to be difficult, but when the issue of bringing someone the sacrament comes up in the many PEC meetings I've attended, bishops tend to treat it as a service that can be offered if truly needed. From what I've seen they are reluctant to make it too easy to avoid going to the actual meeting. When someone really can't get out, there's generally no problem having the sacrament brought - indeed it's an honor to serve them.)

Carl did say they weren't helping her to hear. In my ward just being 83yo would be enough to take the sacrament to her. Our ward also has amplifiers we loan out from the library for those who can't hear. We give them the ear piece as their very own. :)

Any disability should get special consideration. Its her bishop's decision.

I'm not trying to be difficult either. I offered an option for Carl to look into.

Guest gopecon

Amplifiers would be a good idea. Maybe I'm ignorant here, but aren't they basically hearing aids? My assumption is that someone with hearing loss would need hearing aids, so amplifiers would be unnecessary. (If she couldn't afford them, maybe the ward could help).

I've seen some very healthy, active 83 year olds. I wouldn't assume that 83 means you can't get around reasonably well. I'll grant you that at 83 a bishop is going to be pretty understanding if someone reports that it is too difficult to get out, but from what I have seen, most will encourage those who are reasonably able to come out for the sacrament.

My mom is 84 and she usually attends church. Sometimes not for health reasons. Lots in our ward are older people.

Still if they needed I am sure they could get the Sacrament sent to them.

Attending is generally necessary but not if people are unable due to health, job responsibilities, and no doubt other misc reasons. Hmm like me. I could, possibly, go myself but due to my husband I cant. :)