Resolutions or Remedies for Back Problems

Still_Small_Voice

Anyone want to share any remedies for back aches that they have? I love some Yoga and Pilates stretches.

I use some of the stretches and exercises from the video "Louise Solomon's Yoga and Pilates Total Body Toner." She has about 25 to 30 different exercises and stretches in the video that have really helped my back.

Anyone have any other input on this subject?

A better mattress. We couldn't afford one this year and my back pain was becoming pretty bad, so we bought a memory foam mattress topper. We found one on Overstock for about $40 with lots of good reviews. It's not a perfect solution, but it has certainly helped a lot.

Anyone want to share any remedies for back aches that they have? I love some Yoga and Pilates stretches.

I use some of the stretches and exercises from the video "Louise Solomon's Yoga and Pilates Total Body Toner." She has about 25 to 30 different exercises and stretches in the video that have really helped my back.

Anyone have any other input on this subject?

well i've heard sitting doesn't help back problems (i.e. its better to stand or lie down)

Inversion table.....Batman

I have tried an inversion table once. It made me dizzy. Too much blood to my head.

We also recently bought a select comfort air bed. I like it a lot and we got a good deal on it. $750 about for the mattress. It is supposed to last for at least 15 years.

I sit in a chair all day at work so that does things to my lower back. But my back feels so much better with my present job. I used to lift 60 pound boxes all the time at my last job.

well i've heard sitting doesn't help back problems (i.e. its better to stand or lie down)

This chair is pretty cool. Not only does it relieve pressure from your back while sitting, it also strengthens your core muscles to relieve back aches all day long.

Posted Image

This chair is pretty cool. Not only does it relieve pressure from your back while sitting, it also strengthens your core muscles to relieve back aches all day long.

Posted Image

I used one towards the end of my pregnancy. Great for labour.

Posted Image

I know it's probably along the same thought as the exercise balls..but I look at it and think, "Man that would kill my back sitting on that." :lol:

Meds. lol. Standing is awful for me. So is walking. But then again so is sitting and laying down. ^^ Back to meds again.

For me, meds and taking my mind off it as much as possible work more than anything else. I do like the pillow idea. it works nicely and it can be done both on the back and sideways. If you lay on your side put it between your bent knees like in pregnancy. Sometimes it helps, on the back, to just put it under one leg instead of both.

For me a lot has to do with balance. If the bones and muscles are not in perfect balance, often, there is more pain.

We got a chiropractor in the family and he swears that being adjusted can remedy a lot of pains and discomfort. He suggested taking my baby to one when she was super colicky. Never did but supposedly it has been a successful option for some infants.

Posted Image

interesting first time i've seen that sort of chair... i'd like to try one out lol.

Y'all can laugh all you want, but let me suggest 'Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection,' John E. Sarno. I used to get crippling back pain about twice a year. Couldn't go to work, couldn't get out of bed without rolling out onto my knees, etc. The thing that drove me nuts was that it wasn't triggered by activity or stress. And that was the crippling stuff; I'd get other back pain and just have to function through it.

What Dr Sarno suggests is that, absent a real injury to the back, much back pain is the result of mental stress. Long story short, when I get a pain now, I immediately think, 'what's bothering me? is there something going on that might cause me stress?' 99.99% of the time, the pain goes away immediately. Just by taking a moment to think that I might be reacting to stress rather than a physical issue, I'm released from the pain. It's been a wonder. When it doesn't go away, it is because there's been some actual physical reason and I use the stick on hot bandages that you can wear for about 8 hours. I am no longer incapacitated by back pain.

Interestingly, one of my endos, the head of a world famous university diabetes center, so no slouch, mentioned the same thing to me when I was a grad student. It was refreshing to have an MD recognize that many of our disorders stem from mental issues that we internalize and that cause us pain or disease in some way.

Anyway, Dr Sarno's book changed my life. It might be worth a look.

That's amazing, Dahlia. I am not much convinced by touchy-feely "get in touch with your feelings" ideas or the "mind-over-matter" doctrine preached when I was a child, but I could believe that emotional stress could lead to literal physical disability. We think of that as being "psychosomatic" and somehow abnormal, but I wonder how abnormal it really is?

That's amazing, Dahlia. I am not much convinced by touchy-feely "get in touch with your feelings" ideas or the "mind-over-matter" doctrine preached when I was a child, but I could believe that emotional stress could lead to literal physical disability. We think of that as being "psychosomatic" and somehow abnormal, but I wonder how abnormal it really is?

Women think they are pregnant, when they are not. How mind/body connected can you get when your stomach gets big, you have morning sickness, etc, but are not pregnant?

There are 500, mostly positive reviews on Amazon. Dr Sarno's information must have resonated with somebody.

(TMS-Tension Myositis Syndrome)

This is copied from a review, but is pretty much what I tell myself if I get a pain:

1. The pain is due to TMS, not to a structural abnormality.

2. The direct reason for the pain is mild oxygen deprivation.

3. TMS is a harmless condition caused by my repressed emotions.

4. The principal emotion is my repressed anger.

5. TMS exists only to distract my attention from the emotions.

6. Since my back is basically normal, there is nothing to fear.

7. Therefore, physical activity is not dangerous.

8. And I must resume all normal physical activity.

9. I will not be concerned or intimidated by the pain.

10. I will shift my attention from the pain to emotional issues.

11. I intend to be in control, not my unconscious mind.

12. I must think psychological at all times, not physical.

Works for me.

Its not abnormal at all. Our emotions/thoughts do affect our physical status especially when it comes to pain. Unfortunately doctors and sometimes family often think that with something chronic you can just think or feel it away and that just doesn't work.

I spent two weeks at a pain clinic. They didn't use a comprehensive approach. It was all self hypnosis, relaxation techniques, cognitive therapy, exercise and biofeedback. While these modalities can turn down the pain, they cannot fix a physical issue. I learned a lot but afterwards I had to stop beating myself up for not being able to "think" my way out of pain and use other therapies.

• 1 year later...

A better mattress. We couldn't afford one this year and my back pain was becoming pretty bad, so we bought a memory foam mattress topper. We found one on Overstock for about $40 with lots of good reviews. It's not a perfect solution, but it has certainly helped a lot.

You can also slide a piece of plywood between the mattress and box spring to help support sagging structure!!!

(Also just to add firmness on one side, if you're like my husband and I... With one of us needig a firm mattress, and the other (ahem! Curves need a place to go!) ... If you slide the plywood only under one half).

Edit... Whoops. Just realiZed from A above this is old. Eh. Plywood trick still works!

(Lol...the Zzzzzz was a typo, but I like it.)

Edited by Quin