"Revealing Outfit" - seriously?

Guest tomk

I have attended several secular schools. In each case, a percentage of the student body consisted of pushy nutjobs. BYU appears to be little different from other schools in this quality. If there is a notable difference, it is that at other schools, the nutjobs curse and threaten you for things such as not adequately supporting the right of handicapped minority lesbians to have free access to abortions from the nonstop rapes they suffer from all those scumbag men (which is to say, all those men), while at BYU, they write you stern lectures about insufficient modesty.

Yet somehow, it's the BYU students who get painted with the broad brush. Go figure.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? It would? Woah...

Well... it wouldn't cover MY garment that's for sure... I wasn't aware that they were so different.

Your news was surprising!

I don't wear garments but I have seen them on others growing up. I recall my father's neckline not as low as my mother's neckline. Do female garments tend to show more neck than male garments?

I don't wear garments but I have seen them on others growing up. I recall my father's neckline not as low as my mother's neckline. Do female garments tend to show more neck than male garments?

The necessity of large families and survival of the species dictate that the wives seduce their husbands by showing plenty of neck.

Was she talking to the world or just to her friends?

Well she may have just been talking to her friends but now she knows you can't just go twittering about something like this without it going viral. Every time some insecure Mormon has to advertise some wrong done to them by another member of the church and it hits the internet like this we have to go into mop-up-the-mess mode for the church and BYU and Mitt Romney and Prop 8 and polygamy and baptism for the dead, etc, etc, because it's all interrelated ya know. So one looney goon criticizes your outfit at BYU? Take the high road, laugh it off and move on. Sheesh!

My garments wouldn't show with that neckline but that's because I'm short and my tops fit me low. But I'd still not choose a neckline that low. Just my personal preference. I'm more comfortable if I'm covered up more...like turtlenecks most of the time in the winter.

Am I going to have to go into my rant again about how tights are not pants, no matter how opaque they may be? Her dress is short. But if that outfit is getting him all hot and bothered, he might have other problems.

I agree completely with you. I see teens wearing short skirts with leggings underneath to church. They might be appropriate for school but they aren't appropriate for church.

I don't think leggings with short skirts are appropriate for even a child. I always felt I should dress my toddler modestly so that as she grew up she would be comfortable dressing modestly. That toddler is not 24 and dresses modestly by choice.

I agree completely with you. I see teens wearing short skirts with leggings underneath to church. They might be appropriate for school but they aren't appropriate for church.

I don't think leggings with short skirts are appropriate for even a child. I always felt I should dress my toddler modestly so that as she grew up she would be comfortable dressing modestly. That toddler is not 24 and dresses modestly by choice.

I guess I just don't get what's wrong with leggings under something like a knee length or slightly higher dress. (What is sexy about knees anyway?) Some legs don't look good in leggings, but I find it hard to believe that guys would think they are too sexy. Now if the skirt over them is a micro mini...that's, well just ugly anyway. Most of the outfits I've seen with leggings underneath (which my teen girls wear, by the way) look cute and fashionable and cover more than bare legs or opaque nylons.

Edited by carlimac

I guess I just don't get what's wrong with leggings under something like a knee length or slightly higher dress. (What is sexy about knees anyway?) Some legs don't look good in leggings, but I find it hard to believe that guys would think they are too sexy. Now if the skirt over them is a micro mini...that's, well just ugly anyway. Most of the outfits I've seen with leggings underneath (which my teen girls wear, by the way) look cute and fashionable and cover more than bare legs or opaque nylons.

I didn't say it was wrong. Personally I think leggings under a short skirt dresses it down. The dress becomes casual not dressy.

Its not about showing skin. Its about showing form. More often than not its about attitude.

Several years ago I was working at the clothing desk at the Ogden Temple and got the shock of my life. I didn't think a Temple dress could be immodest, but the one I saw was. She was covered from collar bone to wrist to floor.... in a clingy, form fitting dress, without a slip. You could see every muscle move as she walked.

Modesty is more than what we wear. Modesty is an attitude. The woman I saw in the temple was proud of her body and chose to wear a temple dress that showed off every toned inch. To me that's immodest. There is nothing wrong with being healthy and toned and strong... there is something wrong with a prideful attitude about it, especially when it shows in how we dress.

Regarding the picture in the OP. I didn't see anything wrong with it. But I wouldn't consider it an outfit that should be worn to church.

I took a look and was appalled. A. P. P. A. L. L. E. D. !!! :ohnoyoudont:

I think the educational environment should focus on helping students keep their minds on their studies. How could anyone stoop that low? And I, for one, feel that peer pressure should be used to help control such outbursts.

ahem,... I was talking about the note!

:bouncing:

Lets say she was actually wearing that dress without leggings or pants or tights and it was way too short. I'd say it would be none of his business writing that note to her. It would be appropriate asking school officials and teachers, if they are in charge of enforcing the dress code, to please address the issue with offenders more often. The problem he has isn't a "Mormon" issue, people of all faiths are easily offended busy bodies. Its not that big of a deal, for him or her really. Shame its brought so much negative judgement to BYU students.

The women's garment necklines come in different styles for a start. Some higher, some lower.

I have not had to discard any of my pre-LDS clothing in order to wear my garments which, I have to say, surprised me too.

I bought a dress on the net which arrived the other day, has the same neckline as the dress on that BYU student. I tried it on yesterday with my garments and all is well. The difference being my dress comes below the knee - but then I am a lot older than her!!

Common sense needs to prevail here I think.

I don't agree with girls wearing shorter dresses and thick tights, though.

Actually I think it says just as much about the girl by making an issue of it. Why did she feel the need to let the world know about the incident? Much ado about NOTHING!

It says she thought the boy was being judgmental, insulting, and foolish. Why wouldn't she go public with something like this, that seems so wrong. She might believe that there's one in every ward, and it is a public service to root this harsh spirituality out.

Well she may have just been talking to her friends but now she knows you can't just go twittering about something like this without it going viral. Every time some insecure Mormon has to advertise some wrong done to them by another member of the church and it hits the internet like this we have to go into mop-up-the-mess mode for the church and BYU and Mitt Romney and Prop 8 and polygamy and baptism for the dead, etc, etc, because it's all interrelated ya know. So one looney goon criticizes your outfit at BYU? Take the high road, laugh it off and move on. Sheesh!

I don't agree that this co-ed has to take it on the chin, to save the Church. Perhaps your church is stronger than that, and perhaps she deserves credit for exposing this type of thinking for the foolishness it is. The mopping up might actually be a good thing, in this case.

It's not like BYU hasn't had some negative media coverage in the past. Look at the Brandon Davies thing with honor code. But we've risen above it and have actually had some positive support regarding it as well.