Calling Significant Others "Baby"

MorningStar

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, yesterday I was listening to Helen Forrest's rendition of I Had the Craziest Dream and it refers to "baby". So it's not a creation of the sixties--it was showing up in music at least as early as 1942.

The "babe" and "honey" thing never caught on with Just_A_Girl and me, either. Call us corny, but our pet names of choice are "my love" and/or "beloved".

There are many pet names, but this one bugs me the most. I don't get it. Why do adults in romantic relationships call each other "baby"?

Discuss.

Because we like it. I still call my 53 y.o. dw babe and she always smiles (either because she likes it or because she thinks I'm getting senile :confused::D)

Edited by mnn727

Okay straight from wikipedia:

Such words may not, in their original use, bear any resemblance in meaning to the meaning attached when used as a term of endearment, for example calling a significant other "pumpkin". Some words are clearly derived from each other, such as "sweetheart" and "sweetie", while others bear no etymological resemblance, such as "baby" and "cutie". "Honey" has been documented as a term of endearment from at least the 14th century. "Baby" is first used in 1839 and "sugar" only appears as recently as 1930.[

We use Babe, but baby just, doesn't have that connotation to me.

I was going to post images comparing a "babe" to a "baby". Unforunately I didn't think about what would happen when I googled the word "babe" then clicked "images", and I have strict search filtering on.

Yeeesh.

This is a "Babe" - there's lots more to love.

Posted Image

My husband and I call each other babe. We call our children baby. I've been telling my kids, they'd be 50 years old and I'd still be calling them baby. They like it. But that's now - it might change when they hit their teens.

My brother and his wife call each other ling. Short for darling. My mom calls my dad Dad, my dad calls my mom Mommy. So, my sister and her husband followed suit.

Why don't we just call each other by our names? Well, same reason why we call the Priest, Father, our teachers Miss ___ or Mr. ____, pediatrician Doctor ____, etc. It's a special address of reverence and respect. The name used does not matter. What matters is that my husband and I recognize the name as that special address.

To me, a baby is someone who cries all day, barfs on me repeatedly, and occassionally poops on me, much to my dismay.

It's a very serious thing and it's weighing on me quite heavily, as you can see.

That must be a lot of poop and barf if it weighs so heavily on you Morning Star. It might be helpful if you clean some of it off from time to time :)