Where do you live?

Misshalfway

For those of you who live outside of Utah, and like it that way, would you mind sharing why you like it? And maybe where you live? (if you feel comfortable.)

You see I live in Utah, but I'm thinking seriously about leaving. I've lived in Utah most of my life. I've had some experience with the church in other parts of the country, but for the most part the Utah LDS culture is all I have known. I've thought a lot about the Northwest US. But I'd love some good old fashioned opinions. Truthfully, I'd like to find a place/ward/neighborhood that feels inviting and nonjudgmental and family oriented. Is it possible to find all of that outside the concentrated ward situation of Utah?

Thanks.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michigan. Love it. Beautiful scenery, friendly people, reasonable cost of living. We are in the middle of the mitten so to speak. So if you like woods and rivers, walks and neighbors, you'd love where we are. 1 ward in a town of 30,000 and the college students attend the ward with us, not a separate singles ward. If you are looking for shopping, nightlife, or a high concentration of LDS, then you need to keep looking.

-RM

I currently live in central TX, and while I personally don't really like it here the church setting isn't all that bad. However, my best experience with the church was when we lived in northern MN. It was a small close-knit town with a small enough membership that our ward boundaries extended pretty far. Everyone was very helpful, supportive, friendly, and I consider that ward the best I've ever been a part of.

I live outside of Seattle, in what might possibly be the most beautiful area of the world. The mentality and worldview here is left of center and far more leftist than I like, but the laws here also have a "hands-off" attitude toward homeschooling, which I like and find very important. Large LDS presence, though of course nothing approaching a majority or even a significant minority bloc. Cool summers, mild winters. Rains and drizzles a lot, but I don't mind the rain.

I live outside of Seattle, in what might possibly be the most beautiful area of the world. The mentality and worldview here is left of center and far more leftist than I like, but the laws here also have a "hands-off" attitude toward homeschooling, which I like and find very important. Large LDS presence, though of course nothing approaching a majority or even a significant minority bloc. Cool summers, mild winters. Rains and drizzles a lot, but I don't mind the rain.

What do you mean by "leftist" exactly?

What do you mean by "leftist" exactly?

Politically left of center. Geographically, most of the state is Republican, but King County is heavily Democrat, and is so populous that it almost always carries the local and national elections. Governors are usually Democrat, and the state almost always swings left for electoral college purposes. Seattle sports sort of a San Francisco wannabe vibe. UW is a typical Marxist hotbed of intolerance for anyone to the right of Whoopi Goldberg. But in general, people are reasonably friendly, not especially tolerant, but not as in-your-face hateful as your typical leftist.

Florida. 5 minutes from the beach, no state income tax, houses are decent priced, reasonable property tax, reasonable state sales tax, short drive to Orlando with the temple and all the theme parks and night life. Short drive to the Gator Swamp at the University of Florida. No snow. And if you're a programmer, unemployment rate is under 2%. I can't tell you how the Church compares because I've never been to Utah. It feels just the same with the wards I visited in Texas, New Jersey, Tennessee, and the Philippines. The wards here are growing fast (our stake just got split into 2 stakes and our old ward is now 4 wards) and you get a good mix of demographics, including a good number of Filipinos. There are only two black members in our ward, though, one died a few weeks ago, the other is inactive. Several military folks, several students, some millionaires, some farmers... all in the same ward. Our city swings every presidential election. Democrat in 2000, Republican in 2004, Democrat again in 2008, and looking like it's going to be Republican again in 2 weeks...

Edited by anatess

I used to live in a suburb of Portland, OR, and I loved it. I was a teenager there. In my particular town, there was a large enough LDS population that we had release-time seminary. It wasn't so saturated that we were basically Utah, though. It was a good mix, actually -- people at school knew who the Mormons were, and so we stood out in a good way: we had to stand up and be different, but we weren't completely alone in it.

One drawback to the area (and Seattle) is the rain. When you come from UT, where it snows and then the sun comes out again, to somewhere where it's overcast and cloudy 300 days a year, it can be a rough adjustment.

Michigan. Love it. Beautiful scenery, friendly people, reasonable cost of living. We are in the middle of the mitten so to speak. So if you like woods and rivers, walks and neighbors, you'd love where we are. 1 ward in a town of 30,000 and the college students attend the ward with us, not a separate singles ward. If you are looking for shopping, nightlife, or a high concentration of LDS, then you need to keep looking.

-RM

There are a few people in my ward from Michigan. Anyone I think I've ever met from there has loved it.

I moved from a Seattle suburb to SE Florida. Vort is absolutely spot-on about the political climate in Washington. I think it's a beautiful State and the people are friendly as long as you avoid political discussions. I grew up in Oregon and think it's beautiful State as well. My wife is from Arizona and did her graduate school in Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth area).

We are very happy with the members in Florida. Our ward like Anatess has a great mix of demographics. Our kids had no friends in the Church in Washington despite having way more members, in Florida all of their best friends are LDS and they are pretty tightknit and supportive. Being in a vacation area we are used to getting visitors every week. But yesterday we were pleasantly surprised to find ourselves sitting two rows in front of a high profile Presidential Candidate who will be debating down the road tonight. My kids posted facebook pictures of them and this Candidate and his wife and got lots and lots of likes and positive comments from their non-LDS school friends.

If you have to have mountains, I would recommend the NorthWest (Oregon, Washington) if you don't mind it being flat, Florida and Texas are great.

I grew up in Oregon and think it's beautiful State as well.

Oooo, where?

My wife is from Arizona and did her graduate school in Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth area).

I feel sheepish. I always thought you were female.

But yesterday we were pleasantly surprised to find ourselves sitting two rows in front of a high profile Presidential Candidate who will be debating down the road tonight. My kids posted facebook pictures of them and this Candidate and his wife and got lots and lots of likes and positive comments from their non-LDS school friends.

Nice to hear that he makes time for church while on the campaign trail!

North Dallas 'burbs. Lots of LDS here (though nowhere near Utah). I live 2 blocks from the Stake Center. Great Ward.

It does get a bit warm here in the summer but that's the 2 months we pay for to have great temps the rest of the year.

If it snows its usually melted the next day, one year out of the last 12 we've been here the snow lasted 5 days, then the temps went back up to the usual 50's (usual for January).

I figure 2 months of air conditioning are better than 5 months of heating. And you don't have to shovel heat.

Edited by mnn727

I live in the northwest, in WA, but right on the border with Oregon. In my part of the state it seems like people have been here for generations and have lots of family ties to the area. We've been here 10 years and it's been difficult to make friends, because everybody seems to stick with hanging out with family and/or their old school mates. It's been especially true in our ward. We're the ONLY ones without any family within a 2 hour drive of us, if not living in same town.

Church-wise, we're in the minority, but there's enough of us around that there's a strong "LDS Community". There aren't many people who have to drive more than 20 minutes to get to church, for example.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Portland, OR. I would live there if I could (right smack in the middle, not in the suburbs). The culture is so quirky there, and I just love it! You want doughnuts with bacon on them? They've got that. Lots of art galleries, book stores (HUGE ones!), yarn stores, just all sorts of interesting and quirky stuff.

Could do without the rain though. So tired of the rain. So very, very tired.

And so we're moving to Reno. ;)

Washington State (near Seattle, but not quite)

I am ready to leave my town too. Lived here my whole life (my 17 1/2 years), but I need something new.

What I like about it? It is really green and you get the smell of fresh rain a lot! There are tons of great hiking places and it's beautiful. Yes, it's rainy, but that is what gives its green. It very pretty, but I need to leave and attach myself to a new place.

small towns have really nice church people! I live in a small town (3,500) and people are so nice! When I first came to my new ward a lot of people said hello to me and I've never seen you here before are you new?

Big towns don't seem to be as friendly (at least with my experience). If you like living in big beautiful houses live in a small town. If you like living in normal people houses (not middle class, but below) medium sized towns are okay, because they understand financial struggle (they have it too).

Central Oregon Coast. Born in Igloo, SD ~ moved to Seattle when I was 14 months old. Left Seattle when I graduated in 1970 and lived in Burns, OR for a bit. Then moved back to Washington. Bremerton actually.

In Seattle I belonged to the Seattle 5th Ward of the North Seattle Stake.

When I landed here the first time, the Branch was just formed and I was inactive. In 1999 I reactivated myself, left hubby and discovered the unconditional love of the Branch members and the town people.

In 2004 I married hubby #2, moved to Casa Grande AZ and lived there for 6 years. Church wise those were the most miserable, unhappy times. I had never before been made to feel the outcast. Hubby and I both are not of "Pioneer Stock", nor were we born "In The Covenant". Had we not already had very strong testimonies, we would have walked away from the church, never to come back.

That was the sole reason Hubby was so eager to leave and retire on the Central Oregon Coast. We had come back for a thanksgiving holiday. He had been made to feel like the lost child who had returned home. Loved, welcomed and included.

When we went to Seattle to visit my family, he had to work hard to get much of a conversation out of any of them ~ same with the Ward when we went to church with them. Quite a change from all the time I had been back to visit.

The weather here is a wee bit drier than Seattle. We are right on the ocean- it is easy enough to get away from the freezing winds that can whip off the ocean! This summer and fall have been warmer than usual and dryer. It has now rained four days in the month of October. None in September, August, July, June, May and I can't remember if it rained at all before that. We still have a burn ban in effect. Today has been one of the more unusual days - overcast, then a bit of rain, then the clouds part and the sun shines. Slowly the clouds come back, then dark clouds, rain a little, then no clouds and lots of sun! I finally gave up and closed the curtains- the glare of the sun totally erased the tv screen- couldn't see a thing.

The town is trying not to die - so many business's have failed, yet there are new, smaller, cottage industries popping up.

We do have a large grocery store - but I do most of my shopping in the next town to the north- 22 miles to be exact. There is the Fred Meyer, Super Walmart, Rite Aid, Safeway, Thriftway.

The citizens are friendly, helpful, cheerful. They are the typical Pacific Northwesterners :)

Our Branch is 40 members shy of being a Ward. It has taken about 25 years- but we will make it in the next couple of years.

Oh, and in my Branch we really don't care if you come dressed in Sunday dress or Sunday suit, just so you don't come in your Birthday Suit :eek:

Idaho. If you don't like Utah you wouldn't like it here either. Lots of Mormons in SE Idaho. Not as many in Boise and lots fewer in Northern Idaho. It's gorgeous up there. Not so much in the lower part of the state although 1-2 hours from Yellowstone and the Tetons which are wonderful.

We lived in SE MN for a decade and the church is strong there but it was a very transient area with the membership about 40-50% medical residents, interns and students so the longest they stayed around was 3-4 years. Occasionally 8 or more if they were in the heart surgery program. It actually felt like a long distance Utah ward since most were transplants from Utah. I have to say, it was one of the most cliqueish wards I've been in. There was an abundance of educated, intellectual and hardworking men and bright, exhuberant women. If you werent a stand out like the med people, you had to find your own crowd. Mind you , these were my "depression years" and I had a hard time with the church and found it hard to feel the spirit. SE MN is nice but not gorgeous like Northern MN.

Back to Idaho- after growing up in Utah and loving being a Utah Mormon for better or worse, it was nice to come back to a higher population of LDS. My kids were relieved to be surrounded with higher standards and less profanity. We are surrounded by salt of the earth farmer families and I can't even remember the last sacrament meeting that I didn't feel the spirit. Sometimes the grammar is atrocious and the cowboy twang pretty strong, but the spirit is sweet- in our ward anyway. BUT lots of Mormons= many of the same Utah problems.

Maine. It is very quiet and rural. Small wards, maybe 100 active members in each. My ward is like one big family. Winters are cold and snowy, summers are short and can be humid. The only drawback is that it is a 3 hour drive to the nearest Temple. Before 2000, the nearest Temple was a 12 hour drive away so I shouldn't complain. I've considered moving closer to a Temple, but I like the quiet simple life here.

Guest Rossen1
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Hello,

I am from England, The UK is full of beautiful places, one place i have seen recently which is gorgeous is the Isle of Skye. Buck's Palace, the White Clefts of Dover, McGruff's Pub, Pickaninny Circus, or the Flower of London.I love my England.....

..................................................................................................

Edited by Rossen1
Links have to be in the signature not in the body of the message

Florida. 5 minutes from the beach, no state income tax, houses are decent priced, reasonable property tax, reasonable state sales tax, short drive to Orlando with the temple and all the theme parks and night life. Short drive to the Gator Swamp at the University of Florida. No snow. And if you're a programmer, unemployment rate is under 2%. I can't tell you how the Church compares because I've never been to Utah. It feels just the same with the wards I visited in Texas, New Jersey, Tennessee, and the Philippines. The wards here are growing fast (our stake just got split into 2 stakes and our old ward is now 4 wards) and you get a good mix of demographics, including a good number of Filipinos. There are only two black members in our ward, though, one died a few weeks ago, the other is inactive. Several military folks, several students, some millionaires, some farmers... all in the same ward. Our city swings every presidential election. Democrat in 2000, Republican in 2004, Democrat again in 2008, and looking like it's going to be Republican again in 2 weeks...

With horrible humidity and hurricanes. :)