Random Question

pam

I've been trying to remember if I've ever seen it. I think I vaguely remember one ward building I was in.

The reason I'm asking is because the question was asked of me. If you go to church to worship and if Jesus Christ is supposed to be the head of our church...why don't we have a picture of him in the chapel?

I didn't have a good answer.

The reason I'm asking is because the question was asked of me. If you go to church to worship and if Jesus Christ is supposed to be the head of our church...why don't we have a picture of him in the chapel?

Best guess is it's essentially an accident of history and one of those things that is a counter reaction to the type of object worship that the Catholic Church tends to be accused of (Note: I said accused, not guilty). Unless someone is aware of some policy laying things out.

Honestly, I find the whole line of thinking and it's implications rather silly (I have a hard time picturing this question being asked in neutrality, but I could just be jaded):

• If you think the scriptures are the Words of Christ why isn't his picture on the cover?
  • If your thoughts are centered on Christ why aren't you wearing a hat with his painting on it right now?
  • If Christ is in your heart why don't you have a tattoo of him over your left breast? Or better yet a likeness surgically implanted near your heart?
  • If your home is Christ centered why isn't there a central pillar carved in his likeness in the central location?
The central focus of out Sacrament Meeting is *drum-roll* the sacrament, a sacred ordinance performed in remembrance of Christ and his Atonement. We don't have paintings of him in the chapel, but this is central to our Sacrament meetings (which we hold 48 times a year):

77 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it, that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him and keep his commandments which he has given them; that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

79 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this wine to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

Edit: For the record I have no issue with those who make use of images or crosses as a means of focusing our minds or attention on a subject/topic, we use them ourselves (pictures of Christ and Temples come to mind) just not so much in the Chapel. It's people trying to play 'gotcha!' over it that annoys me.

Edited by Dravin

Do you have a picture of the Savior in the chapel in your ward building?

There is no pictures in the chapel area but there is in the entrance area. As a long time member I have noticed that pictures and murals have been removed form chapel areas of buildings constructed in the David O McKay and since eras. Many building prior to this era have pictures and murals in the chapels.

I believe that the reason is to center on the worship of Christ and not any particular image or visualization. Most of which represent cultural conceptions that are for the most part very inaccurate. I also believe that LDS are moving away from a Utah melting pot (mostly - white) culture to a multinational more diverse culture. Which I personally find more appropriate. I very much like attending church anywhere I travel and finding the culture similar - in regard to doctrine and teaching materials as well as images on display.

The Traveler

In our chapel, there's no other permanent decor except for a fake ficus tree in the middle of the front wall that has a light over it.

Every week, we may have additional decorations by the piano - like a bunch of fall flowers that we have now.

I don't get why we have to have a picture of Jesus Christ in the chapel to be considered "Christ centered". You can have a picture of Christ in a room and talk about devil worship...

Nothing in the chapel, nor in any one I've ever seen. However, there are pictures of the Savior everywhere else in the building.

I also think this is kind of a silly line of reasoning. We don't need pictures to worship. The focus is the sacrament and our relationships with the Savior.

I even like crosses and pictures, etc.

I've been trying to remember if I've ever seen it. I think I vaguely remember one ward building I was in.

Because we worship the Savior, not pictures of the Savior. Such would be distracting to true worship, in my not-particularly-humble opinion.

If so that is news to me Wingnut...I've seen a couple with stained glass. The ward I grew up in had some, no pictures or anything just colors.

One of the things I really love about traveling to Europe is the big cathedrals and stained glass. There is a certain something and reference there. I love the temple, but the places I have always felt closest to the spirit is high on a snowy peak, or in quiet contemplation in some of the ancient cathedrals of Europe.

-RM

I was being a little bit facetious, and a little bit ironic. Stained glass windows in the chapel is very...Catholic, though.

Frankly, I'd like to see more of it.

I think some stained glass is very beautiful but yes, it is generally a Catholic thing. When I was a little girl and lived in Portugal, our tiny little ward was held in an old building, I can't remember if it used to be a school or what but it did have old stained glass windows. Obviously, not left behind by LDS.

• 8 months later...

In a ward building in Logan, Utah there is a huge mural depicting the pioneers directly behind the pulpit! It is a hand painted mural and quite exquisitely done too, but it's a bit distracting! I lived there while attending college and my wife and I went to that ward.

I remember as a kid, at Catholic church those such murals were all around you, depicting the stages of the cross

that's not to mention everything else stuffed in there. When I went to the meetinghouse today I thought it rather plain

We don't have any pictures of Christ in our chapel, but we do in the foyer.

Growing up, I remember a large picture of Christ behind the pulpit.

Is there a new policy about pictures in the chapel?

Church Handbook of Instruction vol 2:21.2.1

Artwork

Church-approved artwork for meetinghouses is obtained through the facilities manager using the Church Facilities Artwork catalog. The facilities manager may also obtain artwork that is appropriate for meetinghouses through Church Distribution Services.

Pictures and other artwork may be placed in appropriate locations in the meetinghouse. However, they may not be placed in the chapel or near the baptismal font. Statues, murals, and mosaics are not authorized. This policy may not apply to works of art that have been on display for many years in the chapels of existing meetinghouses.

Artwork in meetinghouses should be properly framed.