Wow! help me understand

pooter1

So I live in an area where we have had a lot of snow. Today the police have put us in a level 1 emergency according to facebook. You will get a ticket if you are caught driving in it. We call the police to verify this and they tell us this is true.I put it on facebook to warn people. Our Bishop gets on our ward facebook and tells everyone "The roads are fine we will have all our meetings" Do we not have to obey the law anymore or just the ones we want to. Trying to wrap my head around this. What about obeying the law of the land???? Im so confused.

If you feel the roads are unsafe, stay home.

I'm sure anyone who lives in a snowbound area will be checking the television and local website media sites for updates. I sure wouldn't take my family out in rough weather conditions based on a facebook page update - I'd be checking the weather channels or calling the police myself.

Your bishop obviously didn't get the same news as you, but if it's serious weather out there, I'm sure he will eventually let everyone know.

Did you not read my post? We DID call the police. Its all over the local news,facebook and radio. Its not a facebook status its from the police where I live.

She did read your post. All she is saying and agreeing with is that she would be checking the roads herself and calling the police. Meaning she would be doing the same thing you did. And she meant that people wouldn't just be going by the status update your Bishop put out. They would be thinking safety first based on their own knowledge and research of the situation.

You totally misunderstood her post.

Edited by pam

Let me re word this whole thing.Im not good with words.

On our ward website we were told that there would be church today along with warnings that you could get a ticket from the police . My question is Do you follow your leader or do you follow the law?Hope that is better and not as offensive. I really am trying to understand this. Are we not suppose to follow the law of the land?

D&C 58:26

26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

All of us are intelligent human beings capable of making our own decisions. If you are trying to "pass the buck" to someone else for making your decisions, then are you really to 'blame' - if you get a ticket or miss church?

I would encourage you to make the right decision for you, and stick by that decision.

Let me re word this whole thing.Im not good with words.

On our ward website we were told that there would be church today along with warnings that you could get a ticket from the police . My question is Do you follow your leader or do you follow the law?Hope that is better and not as offensive. I really am trying to understand this. Are we not suppose to follow the law of the land?

Well, that's a no-brainer for me. If the police indicated that it is unsafe to drive and I can get a fine if I do, I would follow the instruction given by the police or face the consequences (which in my opinion, isn't even the fine but my safety and the safety of my family).

Some thoughts:

1) Facebook posts aren't necessarily informed. So he may not have bothered to read the posts claiming (truthfully) there is a legal travel restriction, or may not think you are correct, particularly if he's working off outdated information, lives in a nearby area where the travel restriction isn't in effect, or he didn't bother to confirm it.

2) I don't know your ward boundaries, but it's possible not everyone in the ward lives under the same travel restriction (for instance if the ward boundaries cross municipal or county boundaries). If where he lives there is not a travel restriction and his streets are well maintained he may be thinking his situation covers the entire ward, or enough of the ward to still make meetings worthwhile on Sunday. We kinda have the opposite situation today, roads aren't bad everywhere in the ward boundaries but enough of the ward has bad roads that Church was canceled.

In short there may be miscommunication or misunderstanding rather than the Bishop going, "It is against the law for people to travel to Church but I'm going to tell them to travel anyway."

Edited by Dravin

I don't know what your ward boundaries are like, but my first thought is along the same lines as Dravin's. Perhaps enough people are close enough to the meeting house to walk or are not under the same travel advisory/ban.

I'm sorry you feel guilty.

Yes we do obey the laws of the land. Your Bishop quite possibly also didn't know it was an offense to travel with the risk of being fined... especially if this only applied to a part of the ward boundary that he might not live in.

I don't think I'd feel much guilt over following my conscience after a discreet and private disagreement with my bishop.

I might feel a few pangs of guilt over kvetching about my bishop on an investigator-oriented Internet forum in such a way as I knew, or should reasonably have expected, would reflect poorly on the Church of Jesus Christ. But that's just me.

Just a guy, I kind of thought that it showed that no one is perfect.This is the conversation I just had with my son. The gospel is true and it is run by imperfect people.This just shows investigators that we don't believe we are perfect. And this WAS the advice forum wasn't it? I did feel guilty but I had a really really good day with my family. Im still feeling kind of guilty it is sooooo easy for me to question everything and feel guilty about anything big and small. I know I do have problems. Thanks to everyone again for helping me.You have helped me several times.Im thankful I have somewhere to go to ask questions.I don't have a lot of confidence and it takes hearing from other points of view to get me thinking and changing my mind. One more thing.I am a member but you have no idea how much of an investigator I am.

Edited by angel333

Angel, it is okay. :) I think sometimes we put great expectations that our leaders are going to take the right decisions 24/7 and we are disappointed when they don't. The reality is that they are humans just like we are and they will commit mistakes along the way. Don't feel guilty *hugs*. :)

I live in Cleveland, OH. We had white-out conditions at my house yesterday. I have afternoon church right now, and the snow didn't stop this morning until about 12:30 (exactly when church starts). In ideal conditions, it takes about 17 minutes to drive the 6 miles from my home to the meetinghouse. I have a five-year-old and a two-year-old. Today was ward conference for me. Did we go to church? Heck no. We have had nearly non-stop snow for about four days. No way were we risking going out on the roads today unnecessarily. Do I feel guilty about it? Not one bit. My family spent the day playing LEGOs and other games together. It was absolutely the right choice to keep my family home, where we could be warm and safe. If my stake president had called me himself and asked us to be at church today, I'd have declined and told him that we were staying home.

There could be all sorts of reasons why the bishop said church as usual. Our bishop is not the one that updates our ward's internet page (we don't have a Facebook page). It may not have been him that updated it. The bishop may not have been informed about the law. The information on the ward's fb may have been posted before the law was actually made and released to the public. And as other's have said, it may have not been that bad in his area.

Not sure about your area but in places I've lived...

That are used to snow & road closures

- Snow machines / snow mobiles

- Walking (or tromping in snowshoes, sliding in skis)

- Public transportation

Places that aren't used to snow & road closures

- walking for people who live close

Meaning that while many members might be snowed in, like you, many others are mobile.

Yet, without the announcement, even the mobile ones would usually think twice about getting everyone ready for church, climbing into snow clothes on top, & trekking out... On the chance that the building is locked up and it's hours of wasted effort (if you're wrangling kids to church, one usually starts a couple hours in advance, but even just suits and snow suits are a bit of a pain).

Q