How do you cheer yourself up when you are struggling?

Sunday21

Sometimes my 2.5 year old brings me to tears (sometimes those are tears of happiness, and other times, those are tears of frustration) but it's funny how when I'm feeling blue "just cos" and she comes up to me and snuggles, I suddenly feel so much better. It's like a little ray of sunshine piercing through the gloomy cloud hovering over my head. So, my daughter for one. Second, if I'm feeling spiritually defeated, I'll read this letter my father wrote me when I was in a very dark place in my life, it is filled with unconditional love and words of comfort - I didn't appreciate a lot that was said when I received it, but I find peace in reading it now. Third, venting to my husband helps, because no matter how upset or angry I am, he's always there - knowing what to say, or just listening.

Prepare a great meal myself (comfort food)

Listen to audio programs, such as:

- The Art of Exceptional Living by Jim Rohn

- Lead the Field by Earl Nightingale

A longer walk with my smartphone (to take notes).  It's amazing what ideas come to you with good exercise!

Singing in the car!  Either gospel music, or some good jazz.

I like to plug in my headphones and turn the music up loud.  Sometimes I dance, sometimes not.  But music is my therapy.

I usually find a change of scenery does it for me. It is amazing what simply leaving the house can do when your feeling down.

Very true!

Actually, can I ask a clarifying question?  To me, "struggling" is when I'm truly battling depression.  When that's the stage I'm in in life, I can't just "do" something to "cheer up."  It just doesn't work that way.  Medication+support+love+Priesthood blessings+some personal effort+a whole lot of time are what work.  If I'm just having one or three bad days, that's a different story.

So are you talking about a bad day that can be fixed with some "cheering up," or are you talking about an extended "struggle" to make it through life?

as you may expect I have something crazy to add, I have a Lamb Chop hand puppet I talk to and (more often) use it to talk to others with, call it my One Lamb Show, my friends oddly think its funny. Put little hats on it, she sings some songs. All good fun.

I'll post a picture of it someday.

Good point wingnut.  I was thinking of the "typical blues."  If I am really having a problem I get a blessing.

I also was initially thinking of the "typical blues."  But the last two years or so have been really rough ones for me.  I've been battling depression and living in a fog.  In the last three weeks or so, I've experienced such a change that I suddenly realize how deep I had fallen, and how bad I actually was.  I've been so happy in the last few weeks, to the point that I am happy about being happy.  It's like I've been underwater, and I'm gulping the air in, because I need it so much.  And then I keep gulping because it feels good to gulp.  I had forgotten what it felt like to truly be happy.  I had good days here and there, maybe even a week or two, but I kept being dragged back down.  So within the context of having recently emerged from the fog, I realized that just blasting my music isn't something that helps when I'm truly "struggling."

Anyway...more response than anyone was probably looking for.  :)

I could have written that, Wing. Depression sucks. 

But for just rough days, good music (either playing it or listening to it)  is the best. I love to drive alone and blast music I love and drink diet Dr. Pepper. 

Music or/and I contact my best friend. I've actually a really rough past couple months where I fell apart badly. Everyone saw it even. However, my best friend bless him because he's 10hrs away (and very busy with school) and would check up on me everyday. He talked me through everything. Basically putting me back together.

I also was initially thinking of the "typical blues."  But the last two years or so have been really rough ones for me.  I've been battling depression and living in a fog.  In the last three weeks or so, I've experienced such a change that I suddenly realize how deep I had fallen, and how bad I actually was.  I've been so happy in the last few weeks, to the point that I am happy about being happy.  It's like I've been underwater, and I'm gulping the air in, because I need it so much.  And then I keep gulping because it feels good to gulp.  I had forgotten what it felt like to truly be happy.  I had good days here and there, maybe even a week or two, but I kept being dragged back down.  So within the context of having recently emerged from the fog, I realized that just blasting my music isn't something that helps when I'm truly "struggling."

Anyway...more response than anyone was probably looking for.  :)

I can relate to what your saying. My wife battles depression herself. Glad your doing better.