Not another garment question

Backroads

My school has a carnival next week. Children will be tossing large globs at paint at me. How would I best protect my garments or should I not wear them for this activity? I've always worn them for paintball, but apparently this will soak me in paint.

Not sure I understand the purpose of this activity, but it sounds like something to amuse children, and that they would squeal in delight if you received the paint globs dressed in ordinary clothes without the protection of a rain coat or poncho.

If so, can you get a plastic drop cloth (they are quite large, like 9' x 12') and wrap yourself in it on top of your garment but below your clothing? I certainly hope it's not a toxic paint that could get into your eyes or mouth.

But how nice of you to be a good sport about this to make kids happy. Bravo.

If it were me, I wouldn't wear my garments for this one activity. As far as I understand it, it is permitted to not wear them for certain sports, such as basketball, etc. And for any other logical reason or circumstance where they would be visible to the public or become damaged, again it's my understanding that they can be left off. I was taught that much of whether one goes without their garments or not during an activity depends on the intent behind not wearing them; As long as they are put back on as soon as is reasonably possible, I see no problem with not wearing them just that one time. To me, your reasons for not wearing them would be legitimate in this circumstance.

If I am incorrect in this, someone please set me straight. It's just what I was taught many years ago when I first got mine.

Hope this helps.

One last thing though. Unless there is a reasonable and logical circumstance for not wearing them, they should be worn at all times. Like, it's not ok to take them off just because one is "too hot" in them or something.

Edited by Silhouette

Not sure I understand the purpose of this activity, but it sounds like something to amuse children, and that they would squeal in delight if you received the paint globs dressed in ordinary clothes without the protection of a rain coat or poncho.

If so, can you get a plastic drop cloth (they are quite large, like 9' x 12') and wrap yourself in it on top of your garment but below your clothing? I certainly hope it's not a toxic paint that could get into your eyes or mouth.

But how nice of you to be a good sport about this to make kids happy. Bravo.

I didn't want to run a booth or sell food. Paint - the - teacher was the other option. It sounds fun.

I agree that wearing plastic might not be as fun for the kids... but a poncho is worth considering.

How one choose to fulfill the instructions to wear the garment is ultimately a personal one.

If you feel uncomfortable with not wearing them, yet you are concerned about damaging/staining them with paint then perhaps you should pick an older pair that are on their way to being replaced anyways.  Or perhaps designate a pair for 'dirty work'

My school has a carnival next week. Children will be tossing large globs at paint at me. How would I best protect my garments or should I not wear them for this activity? I've always worn them for paintball, but apparently this will soak me in paint.

We take them off to swim...so wear something else and change.

I didn't want to run a booth or sell food. Paint - the - teacher was the other option. It sounds fun.

And then afterwards you simply wash the paint off?  This could be psychologically devastating to the children because you didn't trust them to create more enduring art.  Have you thought about "Tattoo the teacher" instead?

Whatever you decide, do think about posting a photo here after it's over (with faces blurred for privacy, if you wish). 

I don't usually give advice on how to wear garments, except for the things mentioned in the recommend book. It is a decision that is personal to the individual.

A good way to help make a decision about it is to remember that if you defile the garment, it will no longer protect you from stuff, so if it is something that may defile the garment, don't wear it.

• 4 weeks later...