Favorite Day(s) of the Year

Iggy

What is one of your favorite days of the year?

Mine is Thanksgiving. Especially now that we are in this Branch in Oregon. We all gather at Church on Thanksgiving around 1pm for a real feast. Roast Turkey, Ham, mashed potatoes, funeral potatoes, variety of salads, breads, desserts (including pumpkin pie (this year I am making my Grandma's deep dish pumpkin pie - actually two of them). I may even make 4 or 6 loaves of homemade whole wheat (grind the grain myself) bread. 

Then we linger and visit for several hours. The Branch is my family now - and I really enjoy being with them. 

Guest MormonGator

Not to sound like a holy roller, but mine is Easter and opening day of the baseball season. Both should be national holidays. ;-)

Edited by MormonGator

Mine is Christmas!  

I came from a family that really didn't do much for Christmas.  However, when I got married, my wife taught me how Christmas should be properly celebrated.  

It begins the day after Thanksgiving, when I decorate the whole house, outside and inside, with thousands of Christmas lights.  Every year, I add just a little more to my collection of Christmas decorations.  In the weeks leading up to Christmas, I love taking my dog on walks in the night to see how my neighborhood has decorated.  All of this joy and excitement culminates on Christmas eve, when we have a really big, fancy dinner.  Then, we read the birth of Christ in the Bible (which is really the most important element to Christmas and what Christmas is all about).  Then, we watch Christmas movies as a family.

On December 25, we all wake up in the morning and open presents.  Then, if it isn't Sunday, we pile into the car and go watch a movie at the local theater.  No one is allowed to do any work on Christmas- it is just a nice day to enjoy family and have fun.

Of course, the worst day of the year is when all of the festivities end- usually, January 2nd, and you realize you have a gap of many months until another real holiday.