So, what next?

2ndRateMind

You've died, and find yourself in Heaven. Maybe because you've done great things, maybe because you've believed the right thing, maybe because you just are a good person. Whatever, you got there.

Now what?

What keeps us from getting bored, with an entire eternity stretching before us to fill?

Best wishes, 2RM.

Everything?

I mean, more time is life is simply more time to do all the things I haven't been able to get around to yet.
Unless infinite possibilities sounds boring. People continue to play the same [sport] over and over again and enjoy it. A hobby is essentially people doing things they enjoy repetitively.

This idea of eternal boredom baffles me. We won't be sitting on clouds strumming harps in the chilly weather eternally.

I believe the idea of resting in heaven is misunderstood by many. There will be great and many works to perform in heaven. This life is simply preparation for work in the next. The truths of the gospel must be given to all the children of God. We have not come down in mortality simply to suffer and then return back to heaven to do nothing. No, this time is a preparation. We have descended in part to comprehend those who are trapped in a state such as we find ourselves now. In so doing we will gain knowledge which we can use to lift others up.

Rest in heaven has much more to do with a state of mind. One can work and still be at rest. In fact, I would even submit that it can be no other way. True rest, can only be found in doing right, in helping others. You want to find someone who is not at "rest" search out the person who does nothing all day. Who sits at home and tries to entertain himself. Such a person mentally works harder then those who do what lies directly ahead of them.

This gospel is trying to lead us somewhere to help us become people of a certain type. Through it we gain a peace which can be found in no other way. We can start by glimpsing it now and then. Perhaps when we have done a good deed, or in contemplation of the eternities, or maybe in the early morning out in nature. But at it's end, this peace can remain with us always. And in the eternities it will not only be peace, but complete happiness. There will be little talk of boredom, such things are of this earth. In the end I find it hard to explain, but I have felt it. I have experienced it in part and at certain times.

One thing I love about LDS teaching is the teaching of Eternal Progression.

Think of it this way... Dying is like graduating out of Kindergarten. Now you get to move on to Elementary/Grammar School.

heaven isn't about us. 

Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God
(John 17:3) 

it will take eternity to get to know Him :) 

if God "bores" you, i think maybe heaven is not your home .. ? 

You've died, and find yourself in Heaven. Maybe because you've done great things, maybe because you've believed the right thing, maybe because you just are a good person. Whatever, you got there.

Now what?

What keeps us from getting bored, with an entire eternity stretching before us to fill?

Best wishes, 2RM.

The Mormon concept of attaining the highest degree of heaven, as I understand it, means that you're always a parent to an eternally-increasing number of offspring.

And the one thing about being a parent is--you're never bored.  :)

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Doctrine & Covenants 130:18-19:

18 Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.

19 And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.

These scriptures reveal that when we are resurrected we do not suddenly know everything, and we get to, over time, learn all things, since God's plan for us is to become like Him and He is an omniscient man.  Consider the knowledge in this life that you will not obtain since there is not time enough, nor availablity enough to do so in our lifetimes.  Consider just our earth alone and everything there is to learn about it.  How much time will it take to learn everything there is to know about just our planet, just the moon, just the space in between.  Consider that our universe is massive on a scale we cannot comprehend and filled with all manner of celestial objects, which God knows by name, every one, and think of all we will be able to learn.

The Celestial kingdom is more than just a nursery. It is also an endless playground of wonder and exploration. A playground we will one day get to duplicate for ourselves and our children.

Cool random thought for me.  If we are to learn all things, as God knows all things, and God knows Kung-Fu.....then the Celestial kingdom is very cool indeed.

To try to understand what we will be doing in heaven with the feeble mortal minds with nare much of a prospective beyond this life that we all have been born with is pretty much a futile feat, unless we think we know the mind of God. The best yardstick we've got is the love our Father in Heaven has for us.  He's given us a beautiful earth to live on as we live in this period of probation where we can further our education on what it is to be eternal. 

So have faith my friend because He's a whole lot more involved in our lives than we can imagine so that we can all have a chance to qualify for a promised inheritence of all He has.  Boring?  I don't think we can even begin to imagine even a dinky percentage of what that inheretance is.

I imagine some kin of the Beverly Hillbillies writing them and asking if they get bored, since they no longer have to walk to the outhouse to take care of business, they no longer have to stock the wood stove, no longer have to hand wash their clothes, and hang them out to dry, etc.  They'd find it hard to explain their new lives, so they'd like respond that they are doing just fine, and not to worry.

Now what?

Best wishes, 2RM.

Even in the heavens we will learn, progress...the earth will become a great U&T, and we will see all things past, present and future. I just hope we will still use the scriptures which is one of my greatest loves.

I like this idea of time to learn. I have had the majority of my life, and have, if I'm lucky, maybe another 20 or 30 years of useful life left to run. But there are so many books! And some books, you do not just read, but mull over, and contemplate, and inwardly digest, or you do them insult. I'm beginning, now, to prioritise, as I never thought to do as a young student.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Edited by 2ndRateMind

Now what?

Best wishes, 2RM.

Love.

Even in the heavens we will learn, progress...

how does this doctrine jive with:

For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face.

Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

(1 Corinthians 13:12) 

and 

For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 

and in Christ you have been brought to fullness.

(Colossians 2:9-10) 

?

is this talking about satiation or completeness? 

how does this doctrine jive with:

For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face.

Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

(1 Corinthians 13:12) 

This is how I understand these passages:

1 Corinthians 13:12 KJV

12 For now we see through a glassdarkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

So in context this chapter is discussing even if we speak "with the tongues of men and of angels" (prophesy) without charity  " I am nothing.

For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

This development from child to adult seems descriptive of learning, and several of the traits we need to develop. Then understanding in fullness our divine potential, even as God knows. It strongly implies prophesy shall no longer be in part, but in full. 

Colossians 2:9-10

9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

We need the messiah in order to partake of salvation.

Edited by Crypto

You all make heaven sound like a really boring place.

I'll be at the beach playing frisbee and grilling meat.  If I'm not at the beach, I'll be home playing Minecraft.

I'll be telling people that MOE is "Playing the Mind-crafting again." and judging people. If they try to judge me, I'll say "JUDGE NOT!" and point a big finger at those hypocrites. And if they point out that I'm judging them and so being a hypocrite, I'll say "THOU HYPOCRITE, WHO SWALLOWS A CAMEL BUT STRAINS A GNAT! GET THY BEAM OUT OF THY EYE, HYPOCRITE!!!!!!!"

It'll be awesome.

Kidding aside, I'd like to do missionary work and help other people. There would be a lot of people trapped by their own ideals and past. Maybe helping them would help me see the things holding me back.

That would be amazing.