Seahawks vs. Colts?

prisonchaplain

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150122/fbn-deflated-footballs-2d3a36fde7.html

Do we really want to teach our youth that cheating is okay, if you don't get caught?  Should they learn that when you are older, more professional, cheating gets a slap on the hand?  The Patriots cheated.  They should be disqualified.  The Super Bowl should feature the Seahawks vs. the Colts.  Amen.

Cheating in the meaning of deceiving is a normal form in fighting arts. In Japanese  Iaido or sword fighting arts that one will win who deceives his contrahent in a split of a second and thus makes his own way free for the deadly strike. Deceiving is essential of all fighting arts. And what means cheating? In principal the same.

The party that has let itself being cheated maybe has less intelligence, less knowledge, less abilities. The winner sometimes is the one with more luck or the one with more intelligence and the ability to deceive.

A gunslinger offends his contrahent to move to the Colt exactly the moment he's expecting it. That's deceiving. And that's the advantage of a gunslinger. He doesn't take a risk, as long as his contrahent is unexperienced. Why should sports not be like this and not work under these principals, just reflecting the things as they are?

Deceiving is very different from Cheating.

When you're in a street fight and you jab towards the face but at the last minute stick your thumb out to gouge the eyes so that nobody, not even your opponent, sees it - that's deceiving and can achieve your objective.

When you're in the UFC octagon and you jab towards the face but at the last minute stick your thumb out to gouge the eyes so that nobody, not even the referee, sees it - that's cheating and you may have achieved your objective but you have sold your honor.

What's the difference?  You are aware that there are Rules to the Game and promised as gentlemen to abide by it.

But as far as the Patriots versus the Colts...

The NFL hasn't found proof of wrongdoing in the part of the Patriots.

But then, you can replace all the Patriot balls with pingpong balls and Patriots will still win against the Colts.

Comparing the combat arts to cheating in sports is ludicrous and unworthy of further comment.

Yes, the Colts sucked...bad.  Deflated balls probably did not make a difference in the final outcome of the game.

However, there seems to be a pattern appearing with the Patriots.  That starts with the coach and the environment he fosters.  Ban Belicheck from the Super Bowl, hammer the club with massive fines, Belicheck with massive fines and loss of all draft picks.  Hit them harder then in 2007...clearly they did not learn their lesson.  11 of 12 balls underinflated is no coincidence.

11 of 12 balls underinflated is no coincidence.

Actually, I wonder if 11 of 12 balls underinflated indicates a systemic problem in how the ball inflation took place. Warm room, warm air, minimum inflation, then the balls got cold and...

Maybe it was cheating, but it was the referees' duty to see to it that the balls were inflated properly. If you can show that the Pats were trying to cheat, then bring the hammer down. Otherwise, the fault lies with the refs.

Actually, I wonder if 11 of 12 balls underinflated indicates a systemic problem in how the ball inflation took place. Warm room, warm air, minimum inflation, then the balls got cold and...

If that were the case, I would expect there to be problems with the Colts footballs too.

What's the difference?  You are aware that there are Rules to the Game and promised as gentlemen to abide by it.

There is the important statement.  The Patriots are not gentlemen.

If that were the case, I would expect there to be problems with the Colts footballs too.

No, if the Pats had systemic problems with ball inflation, it doesn't follow that the Colts would have had the same systemic problems. I was just providing one possible example of a systemic problem.

From what I've read, each team provides a dozen footballs to the officials and the refs are given 2 hours to inspect the balls prior to the game. They eventually were all tested during halftime. So I am assuming that after halftime, all the footballs were legit.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/nfl-investigates-new-england-patriots-footballs/

M.

No, if the Pats had systemic problems with ball inflation, it doesn't follow that the Colts would have had the same systemic problems. I was just providing one possible example of a systemic problem.

I really doubt that the "inflation" environment for each team would be sufficiently different for this effect.  Unless done deliberately.

From what I've read, each team provides a dozen footballs to the officials and the refs are given 2 hours to inspect the balls prior to the game. They eventually were all tested during halftime. So I am assuming that after halftime, all the footballs were legit.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/nfl-investigates-new-england-patriots-footballs/

M.

I read that too.  Still don't think the deflation had much impact on the result.  Except further proof that the Patriots are a questionable organization.

Yeah, the Colts just played badly in that game.

But, this is another huge example of the leadership of the team.  I don't think that the Colts should play in the Superbowl, but I do think that something big needs to happen to the Pats.  Suspend Belicheat, fine him, the team, and the owners, something needs to be done.  

Of course, I'm from Indy and hate the Pats, so I'm highly biased.

The Patriots have always pushed the line in regards to what they can get away with. Here in the St Louis area where I live we still feel and know they cheated during that Super Bowl in regards to spy gate. Prior to Super Bowl the Rams installed some new plays for the game and ran these during their walk through day before the game. Several players from that game still say the Patriots knew what they were doing and where they were going. A year or two before this game you got the Brady Tuck Rule. Recently the Ravens complained about the Patriots substitutions. Now the Ravens have said they feel the balls were deflated during their game and supposedly alerted the Colts to this issue. I don't think the Colts game would have made any difference but in my opinion it did make a difference during the Ravens game.

I don't like cheating period. I was a big Mark McGuire fan when he played with my Cardinals....since I found out he cheated I am not a fan.

I am not a Fan of the Patriots because they have cheated and continue to push the line. The public keeps saying....everyone does it.

I think the NFL commissioner picks his battles. I think the Patriots should have lost their title when they played the Rams and cheated. For some reason the commissioner did not want to engage in that battle. He still shys away from the Patriots. However he went after the New Orleans Saints and their Bounty Gate. He made an example of them and their punishment. The NFL is becoming an embarrassment. This is my opinion and I don't have a high opinion of these Patriots.

But as far as the Patriots versus the Colts...

The NFL hasn't found proof of wrongdoing in the part of the Patriots.

But then, you can replace all the Patriot balls with pingpong balls and Patriots will still win against the Colts.

I think they haven't found wrongdoing because the Commissioner would rather sweep this under the rug and give the Patriots a slap on the hand and move on. This is suppose to be big times for the NFL days ahead of super bowl. Now we have scandal etc....

Deceiving is very different from Cheating.

When you're in a street fight and you jab towards the face but at the last minute stick your thumb out to gouge the eyes so that nobody, not even your opponent, sees it - that's deceiving and can achieve your objective.

When you're in the UFC octagon and you jab towards the face but at the last minute stick your thumb out to gouge the eyes so that nobody, not even the referee, sees it - that's cheating and you may have achieved your objective but you have sold your honor.

I see the point. It's because of abiding the rules. You're right.

Edited by JimmiGerman

I read that too.  Still don't think the deflation had much impact on the result.  Except further proof that the Patriots are a questionable organization.

I wasn't paying too much attention to updates on this news.  Do you know if they checked all the balls instead of just the 12 balls provided by the Patriots?  What about the back-ups that the Patriots gave too.  Did they check those?

The Patriots have always pushed the line in regards to what they can get away with. Here in the St Louis area where I live we still feel and know they cheated during that Super Bowl in regards to spy gate. Prior to Super Bowl the Rams installed some new plays for the game and ran these during their walk through day before the game. Several players from that game still say the Patriots knew what they were doing and where they were going. A year or two before this game you got the Brady Tuck Rule. Recently the Ravens complained about the Patriots substitutions. Now the Ravens have said they feel the balls were deflated during their game and supposedly alerted the Colts to this issue. I don't think the Colts game would have made any difference but in my opinion it did make a difference during the Ravens game.

I don't like cheating period. I was a big Mark McGuire fan when he played with my Cardinals....since I found out he cheated I am not a fan.

I am not a Fan of the Patriots because they have cheated and continue to push the line. The public keeps saying....everyone does it.

I think the NFL commissioner picks his battles. I think the Patriots should have lost their title when they played the Rams and cheated. For some reason the commissioner did not want to engage in that battle. He still shys away from the Patriots. However he went after the New Orleans Saints and their Bounty Gate. He made an example of them and their punishment. The NFL is becoming an embarrassment. This is my opinion and I don't have a high opinion of these Patriots.

I don't like cheating either.

But, I haven't really seen much proof that the Patriots are serial cheaters.  I do know that when you're at the head of the pack, everybody will be nipping at your heels trying to bring you down.  And with the rampant problem of irresponsible journalism these days - all you need is to start a rumor.  It gets splashed on the internet and people swear up and down it is true.

Ex-players react: Brady‘s cluelessness ‘unbelievable’

http://nypost.com/2015/01/22/ex-players-react-bradys-cluelessness-unbelievable/

“I did not believe what Tom had to say,” former quarterback and ESPN analyst Mark Brunell said. “Those balls were deflated. Someone had to do it and I don’t believe there’s an equipment manager in the NFL that would on his own initiative deflate a ball without the starting quarterback’s approval. I just didn’t believe what Tom Brady had to say.”

Former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis added, “I’m so disappointed because I thought this was a perfect opportunity for Tom Brady to go and say, ‘You know what? I made a mistake. I blew it. It’s on me. I’ll take the blame here, and this will go away.’ He didn’t do that … I’m disappointed in you, Tom Brady.”

Fellow ESPN analyst Brian Dawkins said it was “unbelievable” for Brady not to be aware when he touched the balls every play, while Hall of Famer Troy Aikman agreed that the balls would not be altered unless Brady had instructed an equipment manager to do so.

“It’s obvious that Tom Brady had something to do with this,” Aikman told a Dallas radio station — before either of Brady’s or Belichick’s denials. “For the balls to be deflated, that doesn’t happen unless the quarterback wants that to happen, I can assure you of that. Now the question becomes: Did Bill Belichick know about it?”

It’s strictly a quarterback-to-equipment-manager thing and that’s pretty universal. Those are the only two guys that have any part of that process.  “You go through the whole bag and you literally handpick them and say, ‘This one is good, this one’s too hard, put a little bit of air in that one, take a little bit out. … It’s a full 20-minute process to make sure on Sunday you have the exact football you want to be throwing. Quarterbacks are very, very picky about how they want their ball and that goes on everywhere.” ~ Matt Leinart

Pretty damning statements from former NFL players.

They'll do anything to get Brady off the field on Superbowl.

Hey, I don't like Brady.  It's a constant fight between my husband and I.  But, even as I don't like Brady, I have to concede this kid can play football.

And so I paid a little attention yesterday to everything that was going on.  And... I can't help but notice that everybody already assumed he was guilty before he spoke a word.  Not only that, everybody already assumed the balls were tampered with as a cheating measure before Bellichek spoke a word.

Guilty before proven innocent.  That's modern journalism and par for the course over the internet.