Special Snowflakes...

Ironhold

Guest MormonGator
5 hours ago, mirkwood said:

I like Aerosmith's cover.

I do as well. It's one of the very few Aerosmith songs I like. Never a good sign when the best song by your band is a cover. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2016 at 4:33 PM, Vort said:

What's wrong with Taylor Swift? Her teenage-girl viewpoint of things doesn't exactly resonate with me, but she's an amazing musician. And as Arms 10 and 11 to Def Leppard, she did a bangup job on Photograph.

Her other Def Leppard performances were underwhelming, but she did a creditable job on Photograph.

I love Taylor Swift!

But not this video.  This was... cringe.  Sounds like karaoke night at my house...

See this... this is frustrating.  Of course Congress should obstruct racist, sexist, etc. bill proposals on the Congress floor.  But it is frustrating that these celebrities had no problem supporting politicians and their OVERT racism, sexism, etc. etc. (vote for me because I'm a woman!  gag.) when they were Democrats.   It's even worse to assume that because they are celebrities that they can speak for the Majority.

Edited by anatess2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2017 at 5:47 PM, anatess2 said:

See this... this is frustrating.  Of course Congress should obstruct racist, sexist, etc. bill proposals on the Congress floor.  But it is frustrating that these celebrities had no problem supporting politicians and their OVERT racism, sexism, etc. etc. (vote for me because I'm a woman!  gag.) when they were Democrats.   It's even worse to assume that because they are celebrities that they can speak for the Majority.

Not only that, but the believable hubris of these people.  Remember the video they did urging the Electors to vote against Trump?  The reward they offered:  Their respect.  Like they expected a few Electors to jump up out of their seats, go running breathlessly through the house with a crescendo of music rising in the background, so they could tearfully tell their wife that at last, at long last, they could win Martin Sheen's respect!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111111

Elector:  I'm gonna do it, baby.  I'm gonna vote Kasich instead.

Wife: Oh, my love... Does that mean.... can it mean...

Elector: Yes.... yes my heart, yes...  Martin Sheen...  he...  he...

Wife: Say it, darling!

Elector: He will respect me!  <manly tears shed>

Wife: <breaking down in joyful sobs> Oh, it's your dream.  at last.... at long, long last.  <showers his face with kisses>

I mean.... it's like these celebs must think reality is a movie...  a cheesy one, too.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Checked the news this morning.  It's official: if you were born between 1977 and 1983, you are neither in Generation X nor are you a millennial, but rather an "Xennial" which is somewhere in between and outside the culture of both (read: normal).  @MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Checked the news this morning.  It's official: if you were born between 1977 and 1983, you are neither in Generation X nor are you a millennial, but rather an "Xennial" which is somewhere in between and outside the culture of both (read: normal).  @MormonGator

Thank you my friend. Not to sound too controversial, but I think what generation you belong to is partially (key word, partially) a social construct. I relate to both generations (Millennial and Generation X) but my interests and memories lean much heavier to Gen X than Millennials. 

3 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Thank you my friend. Not to sound too controversial, but I think what generation you belong to is partially (key word, partially) a social construct. I relate to both generations (Millennial and Generation X) but my interests and memories lean much heavier to Gen X than Millennials. 

I never take generational talk too seriously.  Conservative millennials (45% of the American Millennial population) have far more in common with conservative baby boomers (55% of the American Baby Boomer population) than they do with their liberal fellow millennials.  

Nonetheless, it is fun to talk about!

4 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

Darn It. 1984 right here.

41 minutes ago, Backroads said:

Darn It. 1984 right here.

There is no shame in being a millennial!  

I agree with one CEO who said that half of millennials are greatest generation great, and the other half justify the media stereotypes.  I think this is true for any generation (although the wicked part of every generation may get more and more prevalent until the Second Coming).  Point being, there are plenty of fabulous millennials out there (maybe even greatest generation great) who are nothing like the stereotypes.

The millennial generation needs people like you!

Edited by DoctorLemon

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

I agree with one CEO who said that half of millennials are greatest generation great, and the other half justify the media stereotypes.  I think this is true for any generation (although the wicked part of every generation may get larger and larger until the Second Coming).  Point being, there are plenty of fabulous millennials out there (maybe even greatest generation great) who are nothing like the stereotypes.

My Dad and I were talking and he mentioned that he "heard about how millennials were thin skinned." He paused a minute and said "Well,  I know a lot of baby boomers who are thin skinned too." He is a baby boomer. Zen like layers of wisdom in that comment. 

Want to see a bunch of Generation Xers being self absorbed, sinful twits?  

Watch any episode of Friends.  

Art imitates life!

(Just saying the grass isn't necessarily greener on the Xer side)

Edited by DoctorLemon

14 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

My Dad and I were talking and he mentioned that he "heard about how millennials were thin skinned." He paused a minute and said "Well,  I know a lot of baby boomers who are thin skinned too." He is a baby boomer. Zen like layers of wisdom in that comment. 

Who do you think taught the millennials to be thin skinned? ;)

The difference, culturally, is that in yesteryear if someone was thin skinned they got told to grow up.

Guest MormonGator
18 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Want to see a bunch of Generation Xers being self absorbed, sinful twits?  

Watch any episode of Friends.  

Art imitates life!

(Just saying the grass isn't necessarily greener on the Xer side)

lol. I always hated that show too. 

To me, Generation X is more "Reality Bites" (a movie I borderline worship) than "Friends". But I agree, "Friends" is a sad representation of Generation X  

Edited by MormonGator

2 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

I agree with one CEO who said that half of millennials are greatest generation great, and the other half justify the media stereotypes.  I think this is true for any generation (although the wicked part of every generation may get more and more prevalent until the Second Coming).  Point being, there are plenty of fabulous millennials out there (maybe even greatest generation great) who are nothing like the stereotypes.

Yeah, to be fair, I can't think of a near generation I identify with more than millennials. (I did find an online quiz earlier today after reading this thread that told me I was "Greatest Generation", which sounds cool but I simply don't know enough about such traits to see it more than theory.) 

Husband, on the other hand, hates the notion of millennials. What's sad/hilarious is that many of his (few, I'll be a nice wife) faults are classic millennial cons. I've pointed this out to him before and it really made him consider himself.

Guest MormonGator
17 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

I took the quiz and got "the greatest generation" (born before 1927)

Not to brag . . . 

Not to be a killjoy but I've always wondered if the "greatest generation" was "the greatest" (Better than the Civil war/Revolutionary war generation?) or just the last generation to be great. I'm not saying they were bad people, of course. 

My daddy was a member of the greatest generation.  He was a WWII vet and "decorated war hero". (That has to go in quotes because I can hear him rolling over in his grave and swearing at that title.)  Here are some 'greatest generation' identifiers:

- Saw combat.
- Lost friends.
- Changed the world through victory.
- Hated 'rear echelon s.o.b.'s', hippies, and drill sergeants.
- Did not hate Germans.
- Handshake is your promise, no contract had a higher hold on you.
- Strong, unbending moral and ethical code.  Willing to state it at any time for any reason.

There are others, but yeah, WWII founded a particular brand of Good People, not found in such large amounts for a while before, or any time since.

Guest MormonGator
14 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

My daddy was a member of the greatest generation.  He was a WWII vet and "decorated war hero". (That has to go in quotes because I can hear him rolling over in his grave and swearing at that title.)  Here are some 'greatest generation' identifiers:

- Saw combat.
- Lost friends.
- Changed the world through victory.
- Hated 'rear echelon s.o.b.'s', hippies, and drill sergeants.
- Did not hate Germans.
- Handshake is your promise, no contract had a higher hold on you.
- Strong, unbending moral and ethical code.  Willing to state it at any time for any reason.

There are others, but yeah, WWII founded a particular brand of Good People, not found in such large amounts for a while before, or any time since.

All true of course-but they failed to pass on a lot of those values to their children. Like I mentioned, I'm a Gen Xer at heart. I don't like authority, effort, am afraid of war and have no morals. So I'm not saying that I'm better than anyone. 

It's not pleasant to say anything negative about that generation because they were wonderful in so many ways. My grandparents were members of that generation and I loved them dearly, and it's not a personal insult to anyone of that generation. Just some food for thought.

To repeat myself again, it's not an insult to anyone from that generation. So don't take it as an insult to our fathers/grandmothers, etc. 

Edited by MormonGator