Special Snowflakes...

Ironhold

Just now, MormonGator said:

lol. I once knew a guy who obsessed with the :: groan :: Dave Matthews Band. He saw then live over fifty times. If you said anything negative about them, he'd almost get physical. Dude had serious issues (and not just with his godawful music taste) but he was a just a more passionate version of most fanboys who simply can't handle hearing anything negative about their band. 

I have tried very, very hard to like Dave Matthews Band, and I just don't get it.  

3 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

lol. I once knew a guy who obsessed with the :: groan :: Dave Matthews Band.

I might have a slight disagreement with you there.  DMB is pretty good IMHO.  But they just can't match Billy Joel.  I've been a fan since Cold Spring Harbor.

1 minute ago, DoctorLemon said:

I have tried very, very hard to like Dave Matthews Band, and I just don't get it.  

Blasphemy!!!

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I might have a slight disagreement with you there.  DMB is pretty good IMHO.  But they just can't match Billy Joel.  I've been a fan since Cold Spring Harbor.

Someone bought me one of their albums for Christmas about twenty years ago. It was their big one, with "Satellite" and "Ants Marching" on it. I listened to it a few times and thought it was wretched. Sorry bro, just awful. 

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

No one understands country music outside of Texas.  (and I mean REAL country music, not Taylor Swift, Brad Paisley, Garth Brooks, or the garbage on the radio)

I like Johnny Cash. That's as "country" as I get. @LadyGator likes some in small doses. Garth, Tim McGraw, etc 

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I like Johnny Cash. That's as "country" as I get. @LadyGator likes some in small doses. Garth, Tim McGraw, etc 

Well, if you're going to compare DMB with Cash, duh-uh.  Cash.   And I certainly like George Strait.

Edited by Guest

Someone bought me one of their albums for Christmas about twenty years ago. It was their big one, with "Satellite" and "Ants Marching" on it. I listened to it a few times and thought it was wretched. Sorry bro, just awful. 

I have owned Crash, Under the Table, and the one with "Don't Drink the Water".  There isn't a single song on any of those albums that clicked with me.  I tried, I spent money, and I still don't get DMB.  Same goes for Turisas, the Who, and Pearl Jam.  (I know the last one is going to get me death threats)

Edited by DoctorLemon

That's how I used to be!  Then I heard real country, which is at least as edgy as good rock music (e.g., Kris Kristofferson, Doug Sahm, Steve Earle, Drive By Truckers).  There is more that is like Johnny Cash out there!  It just doesn't get radio airplay.

What's wrong with Taylor Swift? Her teenage-girl viewpoint of things doesn't exactly resonate with me, but she's an amazing musician. And as Arms 10 and 11 to Def Leppard, she did a bangup job on Photograph.

Her other Def Leppard performances were underwhelming, but she did a creditable job on Photograph.

13 minutes ago, Vort said:

What's wrong with Taylor Swift? Her teenage-girl viewpoint of things doesn't exactly resonate with me, but she's an amazing musician.

Nothing but sorrow can come from this conversation :)

Seriously, nothing is wrong with Taylor Swift.  I'm just not a pop music kind of guy - What can I say!  Too slicked back for my tastes.  I like my music rough and experimental.

I would rather listen to Taylor Swift than Arianna Grande.

Edited by DoctorLemon

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Johnny Cash has train songs.  I like train songs.  I make a playlist and play it when I'm on a train.  Which happens about once every 5 years.

I like the Motorhead version of "Train Kept Rollin'" originally by Tiny Bradshaw. 

30 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Johnny Cash has train songs.  I like train songs.  I make a playlist and play it when I'm on a train.  Which happens about once every 5 years.

Led Zeppelin, "Bring It On Home"

Jethro Tull, "Locomotive Breath"

Brothers Four, "Five Hundred Miles"

I find all this country music talk offensive.

I kid.  I like country music, but mostly the stuff I grew up with like Willy Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Chris Christoperson, Johnny Cash, etc.

A quick comment about the pre-sidetrack discussion.  @MormonGator is right that there are whiners on both sides, but @Vort is right that the left seems to have achieved a near monopoly on the image.

24 minutes ago, unixknight said:

I find all this country music talk offensive.

I kid.  I like country music, but mostly the stuff I grew up with like Willy Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Chris Christoperson, Johnny Cash, etc.

A quick comment about the pre-sidetrack discussion.  @MormonGator is right that there are whiners on both sides, but @Vort is right that the left seems to have achieved a near monopoly on the image.

I am from Waylon Jennings' hometown!  (sort of)

I like country music because it is music that actually sounds like it was written for adults and not teenagers.  

Edited by DoctorLemon

4 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Ummm I thought there were somethings we didn't talk about, like my tolerance of some country music! What is going on, is nothing private anymore?? ?

Heh - for my daughter's baptism, I had a playlist set up for the interlude instead of someone playing the piano.  A bunch of nice churchy baptism songs, and Johnny Cash's Redemption.  

From the hands it came down 
From the side it came down 
From the feet it came down 
And ran to the ground 

I stuck the thing on shuffle and ran off to the changing room.  I figured if God had strong feelings about it one way or the other, He could influence the shuffle order.  It was not played, but I don't know if that was random chance or divine intervention.

20 hours ago, Vort said:

Perhaps so, but this is a false equivalency. The fact that thin-skinned, hypersensitive, overly precious right-leaning people exist in no way diminishes the observation that the left has cornered the market in that commodity. The two are not equivalent; the overwhelming weighting is to the political and social left.

Did you see the news this morning?  Apparently Kellyanne Conway is getting threats from disgruntled Clinton supporters.  That is just nuts!  

I still think that Trump is, under the bluster, the most liberal-friendly Republican candidate to come around in decades (look at his pressure on companies to keep jobs in the USA), but those on the Left are too busy whining and protesting to see that he could be their best friend.

While I know it is early, I have to admit I am really pleasantly surprised with some of what Trump has accomplished so far.  He looks like he will actually fight for middle-class working America, as opposed to the chronically unemployed and the very rich.  He has the guts to stand up to large corporations and China.  I was skeptical at first (no doubt because I saw him as a reality TV star), but I am starting to think he has the potential to be an absolutely amazing president, if he stays focused.  Double cheers if his influence gets Roe v. Wade overturned!

Edited by DoctorLemon

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 1:46 PM, MormonGator said:

Another thing I've noticed is that people pick and choose what to be offended by. Some people brag about being thick skinned and rolling with the punches but if you say something negative about their favorite band, they literally fall apart and take it like you called their mother dirty names. Or if you say anything negative about their favorite sports team. Or their D-list, cruddy home town. Or their favorite dog breed.  (For the record, you can make fun of my bull terrier, my D-list hometown, my Florida Gators obsession and my love of The Ramones, Megadeth, and Anvil. Goodness knows @mirkwood does that all the time). 

You forgot KISS.