Unexpected hobbies

Guest MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

Does anyone else have hobbies that people wouldn't assume you to have? IE-play the harmonica? Magic tricks? Raising death's head hawk moths? 

I'll start. I make my own soap. I'm totally self taught with the help of only a few internet videos. I've been making soap for about four years-but let me rephrase it. I've been making good soap for about six months. 

Why don't you start using some of it. :P  Kidding!!

My favorite hobby is coming to LDS.net and harassing people with my overbearing verbiage.  

No, actually, I don't do anything that could be considered a hobby.  I'm too busy.

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator
On March 25, 2016 at 3:33 PM, Carborendum said:

Why don't you start using some of it. :P  Kidding!!

Lol. I shower twice a day and wash my hands even more. LadyGator calls it "OCD" but I call it "Obsessive cleanliness" 

Edited by MormonGator

I tried doing home made candles.  Did one batch, and it was a huge pain, way more expensive than buying candles, and they looked awful.  I still have a giant slab of wax in a lower cabinet in the kitchen.

I tried scrapbooking, and have a bag in the closet full of scrapbooking crap I intended to document a recent family vacation.

I tried sewing and broke three needles.

I love gardening, and have done pretty good there.  Used the California rebate to turn my front lawn into a native landscape.  And this past weekend I built (from a kit) a rustic picnic table.  I have to be careful leaving the house, because I will pull one weed, and another, and a half hour later, I am still going.

Oh, and I do love photography.  I have a couple DSLR cameras and several lenses, and although camera phones are nice, I can never get the quality I want.  My big cameras are great but can be bulky. 

Guest MormonGator
17 minutes ago, bytebear said:

I tried doing home made candles.  Did one batch, and it was a huge pain, way more expensive than buying candles, and they looked awful.  I still have a giant slab of wax in a lower cabinet in the kitchen.

I have this abnormal fear about burning my house down. I don't even have candles in the house! 

Carb you were right. I do have an OCD! Yikes!

3 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Does anyone else have hobbies that people wouldn't assume you to have?

I crochet occasionally, do a fair bit of my own tailoring, and enjoy certain types of cooking.

Most unexpected fiber arts I've seen was a huge biker that looked like Mr Clean's mean brother wheeled up and pulled a knitting bag out of his saddlebag.  Proceeded to crochet a nice shawl in between sparring matches.  Turns out his wife got him into it as rehab when he dumped his previous bike and screwed up a couple of fingers pretty badly.

How about hobbies or talents we would like to develop? I have always hated gardening. Hated it. Passionately. Yet last year, I found myself getting very interested in growing things (specifically Jerusalem artichokes). I ended up growing several of those things, and am all set to grow a bunch more this year.

Sister Vort is a knitter. I think knitting is incredibly cool. As a child, I remember thinking up a way to make a loop in string and then make a chain of loops with that loop. I thought the idea was pretty cool, so I told my mom, who told me that it had already been invented and was called "crocheting". Darn. Anyway, I still don't know how to knit (or crochet anything other than the aforementioned chain stitch), but I would love to learn.

20 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

Was heavy into breeding ball python mutations. Love display gardening, plants and flowers, not the eating kind. Collecting bootleg and foreign star wars figures from the 70-90s.

What on earth is a ball python mutation? Is this a snake? Have you seen the Disney movie, Lola and stitch? Are you creating little monsters?

Guest MormonGator
13 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

What on earth is a ball python mutation? Is this a snake? Have you seen the Disney movie, Lola and stitch? Are you creating little monsters?

It means he is a mad scientist bent on world domination. Your secret is out Needle. Better go back to your super fortress. 

47 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

What on earth is a ball python mutation? 

Sorry. It was for creating color and pattern mutations on ball python's scales using recessive, co-dominant, dominant genes. 

Felt like mad scientist type stuff.  Hatching eggs was like Christmas, fun times. 

50 minutes ago, theSQUIDSTER said:

You have a twelve-sided etchosketch living one shelf above your Komodo dragon?

:) I have a piece of card stock folded into a dodecahedron* (I will NEVER do that again) on which I have doodled 12 Zentangle-style patterns (I will NEVER do that again).  (And for the record, I should be shot for having folded it before doodling it! What was I thinking!)

*Shame on Firefox for not including such a simple word in its dictionary.

I have always loved music, and learned some piano but could not afford to take lessons for such a long time.

Recently my wife found a very nice Casio electronic keyboard.  I also discovered that I could continue my lessons online on udemy.com really really inexpensive.  They are changing their price structure so that all of the courses are in the $20-$50 price range.  I combined the courses with true-piano-lessons.com and youtube.

My wife got some courses in drawing with colour pencils.

Edited by cdowis

I finally finished this Queen-sized crocheted bedcover for my son a couple weeks ago.  I was supposed to give it to him on his bday in 2014... I can't believe how relieved I am now that I'm done with that hobby.  The bedcover matches his bedroom wall, so hopefully, he wouldn't want to repaint that wall for a long time to come.