Stuff you think about - naming church schools

dahlia

12 minutes ago, dahlia said:

Why are there 3 BYUs and no Joseph Smith University? Since we don't consider him a deity (contrary to what some think), is there a reason why we never named a university after him?  Is there a Joseph Smith University overseas somewhere? 

Brigham Young University was named after Brigham Young, who was the prophet at the time.  BYU-Idaho was named "Ricks College" until just a few years ago, when the entire school was restructured and renamed "BYU-Idaho" as a sister school to BYU-Provo.  I'm not sure of BYU-Hawaii's history.  The fourth LDS college has a more utilitarian name: LDS Business School.  Back in the day, there were more LDS-owned schools (college and other) which usually had names related to their founders.  

9 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

I'm not sure of BYU-Hawaii's history.

Prior to 1974 BYU-Hawaii was called, Church College of Hawaii.

1. Fun little fact: From the Church's Newsroom, it says: "Per capita the most internationally diverse campus in the nation, with more than 74 countries represented."
I was just at BYU-H about a month ago. Definitely a hugely diverse campus. BYU-H colors are "Red", not Blue. They are the "Seasiders", not the Cougars.

2. Fun little fact: Church runs over a dozen middle & high schools in the Pacific Islands, most with Island, BOM or Church reference names....none with Joseph Smith.

3. Fun little fact: Despite any love/hate relationship between the University of Utah and BYU... UofU was established by Brigham Young.

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Hum...you are one of the those guys...;)

2 hours ago, mirkwood said:

Fun little fact, Utes are better than Cougars.  :D

Yeah, with a little luck you all could one day be Gator bait!

8 hours ago, mirkwood said:

You know what a BYU alumni says to a Utah alumni?

Want to supersize that order?

The Utah alumni responds back, "Well uh bro, I'd love to supersize it, but I'm sorry I can't afford the upgrade, cuz well um, I haven't been employed since I graduated 10 years ago";)

Edited by NeedleinA

15 hours ago, mirkwood said:

You know what a BYU alumni says to a Utah alumni?

Want to supersize that order?

Since you are looking for some humor in the difference - do you know the difference between a BYU coed and a Utah coed?

One is looking for a husband and the other is looking for a father.

3 hours ago, mirkwood said:

You know what happens to a man eating lion on the BYU campus?  It starves to death.

Did you hear about the students that decided to transfer from BYU to Utah?  They significently raised the average IQ of both schools.

PS.  If you do not get it - I will be glad to explain it to you.  :huh:

Guest MormonGator

Why do University of Maine men like smart women? Opposites attract. 

I could go on for hours with college rivalry jokes but very few of them are apportiate in mixed company.  

Edited by MormonGator

On 7/4/2016 at 9:08 PM, dahlia said:

Why are there 3 BYUs and no Joseph Smith University? Since we don't consider him a deity (contrary to what some think), is there a reason why we never named a university after him?  Is there a Joseph Smith University overseas somewhere? 

well if we start one over in palmyra, probably be a good chance for a smith university there...... but good question i don't really know what goes into naming considerations- altho with all the byu stuff, it's because the one in provo was named after Brigham, and all the other brigham schools are considered an extension of that school. the only other names i've heard are from leaders who've supported whatever school/or department signficantly.