Best Post-Election Reaction

Windseeker

"I am at a loss. I am terrified for my lovely and sweet gender-non-conforming child," said Cecily Kellogg, mom to a 10-year-old daughter and founder of a content marketing and social media management firm. "I don't know what to say. I can only hold her, let her cry and tell her I will keep her safe."

Ever notice these kids are never born to, say, ranch hands?  

Must be something in the hummus.

Guest Godless
8 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

Trump wasn't my first choice (that would be Jeb Bush, sigh).  However, now that he is here, I respect his office and support him.

I'm scared to death, but not because Trump is president-elect.  No, there are bigger things going on in the world than party politics.

No, I'm scared to death because North Korea is a couple of years away from being able to hit the U.S. mainland with a nuke, and Trump is going to have to do something about it NOW.  

North Korea is a far worse threat than anything else, including ISIS, and people just laugh it off and don't care.  

I just hope Trump is up to doing something about North Korea before it is too late.  

(granted I would still be scared if anyone was in charge on this issue).

And that is my reaction to Trump winning the election.  Now that we have Trump, I will be praying for his success, in this issue and otherwise.

This actually worries me quite a bit as well. The cultural divide that his campaign fueled is my main concern, but that's not directly related to Trump's presidency. Foreign policy is, and I fear that will be a severe weakness for him. As someone who has fought in the misguided war of a previous president, and lost a couple of friends to it, Trump's lack of experience as a diplomat is a grave concern of mine, as is his tendency towards emotional outbursts. 

8 hours ago, estradling75 said:

Right you can't do much about the government or other people.. but you can deal with your part... and what you do to add to the situation that created Trump...  And you had a chance... you talked to Trump supporters... but instead of seeking to understand why they feel the way they do....  You discounted them, you dismissed them...  You labeled them and then do your best to ignore them.

And that is wait everyone for the last 8+ years has been doing

Whole sections and groups have been marginalized and hurting and no one cared, most specifically by those group that make big show of helping, supporting and validating others, because they weren't the right race, gender or social class.

Then Trump comes along and gets these people who feel voiceless and unseen...  And convinces them that he sees them, that he will give them a voice...  Not surprisingly they overlook his many character flaws and give him a chance.

And the whole political establishment didn't see it coming... because that group was right, nobody saw them, nobody heard them so no one could predict them

But go ahead... continue the cycle... continue to ignore them... continue to "call it like you see it" and make no effort to understand.  They will continue to latch on to whatever voice does not do so, no matter how flawed in character

Of course, the emotional response. Can't you see I'm in pain, and If you can't I'm gonna make the whole country hurt so you "get it". Some people never grow up and take responsibility for themselves  

No one explains ever, "we're hurting". Is there a roof over your head, food on your table, more than the clothes on your back to your name? If not then what hurt? You didn't get what you want in the last election? You think the guy who mows lawns next door has stolen your job? Were you thinking of becoming a day laborer and all the positions were filled?

Yes, I think there are people who are really and truly hurting in this country, but I haven't seen it in the Trump crowd. I see people angry because people same sex couples can get married, and angry at those uppity name-the-group-you-don't-like. Millennials, African Americans, immigrants, refugees. Cuz it hurts so bad to see everyone being supported but me, while I stick up for no one but my own race. 

The new special snowflakes. 

12 hours ago, Backroads said:

I'm sorry, but if you can't tell your kid who the new president is, you have a lot of work to do as parent and child. How dare the special snowflakes learn who the country elected!

And this embodies everything about why our country is going down the tubes.  Parenting, or should I say that lack of it.  The helicopter parent, the overenvolved parent, the parent that has to "protect" their child from everything to keep them "safe".  This is why a generation after this crap started we now have "safe spaces" in colleges, because of crappy, wrong-headed parenting.

Dude, your child is 10, their biggest concern should be about whether they get their homework done on time and who to play with at recess.  Let them be a kid! In the process of being a kid they learn how to grow up.  You teach them how to be an adult by setting the example, not by indulging in their childhood dramas and letting them figure it out for themselves.

Guest LiterateParakeet
14 hours ago, Backroads said:

I'm sorry, but if you can't tell your kid who the new president is, you have a lot of work to do as parent and child. How dare the special snowflakes learn who the country elected!

You have vastly missed the point.  Van Jones explains it well, if you really want to know. 

Edited by LiterateParakeet

6 hours ago, Blueskye2 said:

Of course, the emotional response. Can't you see I'm in pain, and If you can't I'm gonna make the whole country hurt so you "get it". Some people never grow up and take responsibility for themselves  

No one explains ever, "we're hurting". Is there a roof over your head, food on your table, more than the clothes on your back to your name? If not then what hurt? You didn't get what you want in the last election? You think the guy who mows lawns next door has stolen your job? Were you thinking of becoming a day laborer and all the positions were filled?

Yes, I think there are people who are really and truly hurting in this country, but I haven't seen it in the Trump crowd. I see people angry because people same sex couples can get married, and angry at those uppity name-the-group-you-don't-like. Millennials, African Americans, immigrants, refugees. Cuz it hurts so bad to see everyone being supported but me, while I stick up for no one but my own race. 

The new special snowflakes. 

Oh please...  The liberal/democrats are willing to bend over backwards to feel the pain of certain classes and will yell and berate anyone that tells those classes/groups they need to suck it up and do something positive with their lives.  But the moment a person is not in someone in those certain "special snowflakes" classes the hypocritical nature of the liberal/democrats becomes clear... no effort to see, no effort to understand, their highly touted tolerance and acceptance becomes intolerance and degrading attack (which  you have demonstrated so clearly), their highly touted acceptance of diversity is no such thing.

That is why the Democrats lost the election they should have won.

The Republican party is no better.  For years they have ignored all groups pretty much equally.

Trump won because he convinced these rather large groups that he would address their concerns.  When he brought up the issues he drew exactly the same kind of ire from the liberal/democrats that anyone that has ever dared talk about it gets.  So when the Democrats really needed people to heed what they were saying, the people who could have made a difference simply heard the liberal/democrats crying wolf once again.

3 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

You have vastly missed the point.  Van Jones explains it well, if you really want to know. 

And you missed my point. it's about the general inability of parents being able to prepare their kids for reality and disappointment.

I'm trying to be sympathetic, bUT moronic parenting like this helps no one.

How many Clinton-supporters would have deigned be sympathetic to the losing side? would they have listened?

Would people have called for empathy?

Edited by Backroads

Guest LiterateParakeet
51 minutes ago, Backroads said:

And you missed my point. it's about the general inability of parents being able to prepare their kids for reality and disappointment.

I'm trying to be sympathetic, bUT moronic parenting like this helps no one.

Did you even listen to the video?  Clearly not. This is not about whose candidate won. 

Your lack of understanding does not equal "moronic parenting."   Be careful about judgements like that.  In my experience, the Lord has a way of humbling us, when we judge others.  It's painful, I can tell you. 

LP, I know you well enough to know that you, personally, would likely seek to comfort anyone in pain no matter how things turned out. I respect your views and I respect you sharing the pain of the side less represented here, giving it a voice. I know you don't even come close to condoning cruelty coming from your side and have conceded elsewhere on this forum it has happened.

But I can't codone the behavior of teaching a ten-year-old there is no more to the world than her disappointment a girl didn't make president.

Not when there is so much other suffering in the world beyond Hilary not winning.

Parents should have the skill to lay out the facts, to discuss things with their children.

I have already had a coworker going to my principal demanding all Mormon staff be fired because "they probably voted for Trump" and then threaten to kill me in the hall.

I didn't even vote for Trump.

I don't need more admonition to be sensitive to people who threaten my life and livelihood because they didn't get their way.

The daughter of a millionaire who just wanted "girl power" doesn't deserve extra compassion and the rest of us none.

Edited by Backroads

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 hours ago, Backroads said:

LP, I know you well enough to know that you, personally, would likely seek to comfort anyone in pain no matter how things turned out. I respect your views and I respect you sharing the pain of the side less represented here, giving it a voice. I know you don't even come close to condoning cruelty coming from your side and have conceded elsewhere on this forum it has happened.

But I can't codone the behavior of teaching a ten-year-old there is no more to the world than her disappointment a girl didn't make president.

Not when there is so much other suffering in the world beyond Hilary not winning.

Parents should have the skill to lay out the facts, to discuss things with their children.

I have already had a coworker going to my principal demanding all Mormon staff be fired because "they probably voted for Trump" and then threaten to kill me in the hall.

Thanks. And thanks for explaining where you are coming from, that helps.

First, I'm sorry about your co-worker, that is vile. I hope that person is a janitor and not a teacher.  Because we don't  need people like that influencing our children.

If I thought the comment we are discussing was about telling your daughter that a woman won't  be president. I would think that's lame too. So we agree on that point.

But that isn't what Van Jones was talking about. During his campaign, Trump insulted pretty much everyone. And many of his comments were racist, and emboldened hateful people. (There is a lot of hate on both sides, I know.)

So if you are Muslim, hispanic, black, LGBT, how do you tell your child that America chose this man who hates them? Its like saying, "Honey, I'm sorry, but half of America hates you?"  

You might not see it that way, but they do. One of my co-workers,  who is also a friend, (he's Black) said to me after the election, "I know we live in a bubble [Washington]. We know there's a lot of racism in the South," he paused for a moment looking down, and then looked up again, "but 60 million people?" 

The pain in his eyes was great and my heaet ached for him. The only thing I could say was, "I'm so sorry. No one in my family voted for him." He has a daughter and he was likely reluctant to tell her who won. 

Pain like his fills my Facebook page from other friends who are people of color, from LGBT people. And from sexual assault survivors, myself, included. People are scared, people are hurting. My friends are not the ones protesting. They're not even all Hillary supporters. Some voted for Gary Johnson, some for Jill Stein, maybe some for McMullen. My friends are not the ones who are protesting. They are not villians. They're mothers and fathers, sons and daughters, and right now they are hurt and scared.

It's  breaking my heart. And then I come here, and I just don't . . . I dont know what to say. I keep thinking a little vacation from this site might help, but then I think maybe if I am patient, maybe I can get someone to see.  So I'm still here, but it's really hard sometimes. 

7 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

So if you are Muslim, hispanic, black, LGBT, how do you tell your child that America chose this man who hates us? Its like saying, "Honey, Im sorry, but half of America hates you?"  

But this is exactly the wrong type of parenting.  It promotes a victim mentality instead of an pro-active mentality. 1st off as a parent if you are telling a 10 year old that "half of America" hates you, Whiskey Tango . . . A child of 10 has absolutely no concept of "half of America", shoot most adults can't conceptualize that.  In addition, it's not provable and most likely false.  Do you really know that "half of America" hates you?  Come on, that is hyperbole to the extreme.

That is an example of instead of being an adult, being a child.  Children conceptualize that everything is about them. And if as an adult you teach them that "half of America" hates them, you are teaching them that it is okay to continue to be a child into adulthood.

I can flip that and teach my children that "half of America" hates them b/c they grew up Conservative.  Give me a break. It's a logical fallacy. Regardless of their beliefs, they will find that if they treat others nicely, act like a decent human being, are a good neighbor that regardless of whether they are short, fat, black, LGBT, or whatever that people will like them.  Sometimes it takes a little work to overcome natural biases, hey it's natural don't hate people b/c they are natural-prove them wrong.  That is how you stop this idiotic victim mentality.

This is what I dislike about the left, it has become an infantile mentality, where instead of learning how to be an adult, everyone must cater and feel "sorry" for them.  Grow up.

Guest LiterateParakeet

@yjacket obviously I disagree with you. I would call it authentic parenting....telling your children the truth as best you can.

Just  because you can't  see it doesn't make them wrong.

I'll just leave it at that.

25 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

if you are Muslim, hispanic, black, LGBT, how do you tell your child that America chose this man who hates them? Its like saying, "Honey, I'm sorry, but half of America hates you?"

Don't tell them that. many voters were between a rock and a hard place. they weren't voting because they hate these groups, but because other options weren't giving anything better. it's unfair and cruel to say all those who voted for Trump are filled with hate. it's not that simple.

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, Backroads said:

Don't tell them that. many voters were between a rock and a hard place. they weren't voting because they hate these groups, but because other options weren't giving anything better. it's unfair and cruel to say all those who voted for Trump are filled with hate. it's not that simple.

That isn't the point though, is it?  We were talking about why they might be afraid to talk to their children about this election.  Just because you don't share their fear doesn't make it any less real.  Perhaps it would help to think of it another way, you have a daughter, right?  Do you look forward to explaining polygamy to her some day?  Would you dread it even more if Pres. Monson announced that we were going to live it again now?  Would you feel any better if people, well-meaning people, told you not to worry that you probably wouldn't be asked to live the law of polygamy, and maybe your daughter won't either.  Or maybe you both will, but just don't worry about it because God is in charge.

It's not that simple, right?   You see, you want the other side to listen to you and be pacified, but you don't want to listen to them.  

1 hour ago, LiterateParakeet said:

That isn't the point though, is it?  We were talking about why they might be afraid to talk to their children about this election.  Just because you don't share their fear doesn't make it any less real.  Perhaps it would help to think of it another way, you have a daughter, right?  Do you look forward to explaining polygamy to her some day?  Would you dread it even more if Pres. Monson announced that we were going to live it again now?  Would you feel any better if people, well-meaning people, told you not to worry that you probably wouldn't be asked to live the law of polygamy, and maybe your daughter won't either.  Or maybe you both will, but just don't worry about it because God is in charge.

It's not that simple, right?   You see, you want the other side to listen to you and be pacified, but you don't want to listen to them.  

I think we split into two groups. it's one thing to find the right words to handle fears. it's quite another to tell your kid half the country hates her when that's simply not true.

How do I sympathize with people and convince them I don't hate them when the very sympathy they want is the admittance I hate them? 

I know what you mean. Someone needs to find the strength to listen and one can't just hope the other side handles it first.

Edited by Backroads

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, Backroads said:

I think we split into two groups. it's one thing to find the right words to handle fears. it's quite another to tell your kid half the country hates her when that's simply not true.

I doubt anyone is literally going to say that.  I'm saying that is how they feel, and it makes this whole election very painful.  That is why it's hard to talk to their kids--not that they are sore losers.

How do I sympathize with people and convince them I don't hate them when the very sympathy they want is the admittance I hate them? 

I'm not sure why you would say this, or why you feel this way.  Can you explain?  They know I'm their friend and I never had to admit I hate them because I don't.  I don't understand your point here. 

I know what you mean. Someone needs to find the strength to listen and one can't just hope the other side handles it first.

I agree.  

Because telling your kids that half the country hates them is a total flat out lie... and any parent should be utterly ashamed of making that comment...

And I will show you an example of why... by sharing why I almost voted for Trump.

I grew up in Arizona a border state.  I grew up with first hand experience with immigration (both illegal and legal) with Mexico.  I went to school with Mexicans, I went to church with Mexicans.  I saw the good immigration can do first hand (Including the fact that my mother is a resident alien from Mexico).   I was also aware of the bad side.  I was a aware of police deporting criminal only to have them reappear.  I was aware of the humanitarian crisis happening in the desert as the Coyotes (smugglers of people across the border illegally) abused, molested, and left to die their cargoes (people)..  So from a very young age I realized we needed to fixed the borders to allow "Good" people in and keep "Bad" people out.   As I grew older I realized that was easier said then done.  But it still my position in a nutshell.

When I became old enough to vote and really understand the issues.  I figured it would be a easy fit for the democratic party...  After all it was about more Government control and helping the poor (so they say).  Do you know what I got for my attempts?  I got told I was a racist that hated Mexicans, and I am heartless thug who wanted to rip families apart.  No amount protesting that it was not so helped at all.  So much for the party of tolerance and acceptance of someone that is different...  And I still don't see how my position of  fixing the border to let the Good in and keep the Bad out was and is some how controversial.  But they chose to make it so.

Then I went to the Republicans..  And they were all like Yes secure the boarder, National security. Huzzah.  And I was like OK here is a party that wants to do something about it so I will support them.  And I did.  I supported them through two Bush Presidencies  including a time when the Republican party had the presidency and both Houses of Congress.  I supported them through 9/11 and all the things they did in the name of national security....  And do you know what we have on the borders now?  Nothing, Zlitch, Zero, Nada.  We still have good people coming across, we still have bad people coming across, and we still have a humanitarian crisis desert, because nothing has been done.

Its been 20+ years of name calling on one side and doing nothing on the other.

Then Trump comes along and busts everything up.  When he talks about immigration as per typical the Democrats label him a racist, no surprise and taken with a whole lot of disbelief after all the mud slinging that came my way.  And of course the Republicans are all bent out of joint by him...  Maybe that means he will actual do something about the borders.  So the option for many was the party of name calling (Democrats), the party of do nothing (Republicans party leader), or the Guy nobody likes, and is a afraid might actually do something.

People don't have to be racist, sexist, haters, or stupid to be willing to discard the nonworking status quo and put their bet on the wild card.  And I just focused on immigration which is just one of many issues that nothing is being done about.  Multiply it by all the other issues, and then multiply it by all the other people who see the government doing nothing... And you get yourself a whole lot of voters (about half a countries worth).

Telling/reinforcing to your kid that half the country hates them is a total lie.   And it only shows that for all your claims of empathy, tolerance, and understanding that their are large number people you personally refuse to treat with the same level human dignity and respect, that you ask/demand that they treat you with.

4 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

@yjacket obviously I disagree with you. I would call it authentic parenting....telling your children the truth as best you can.

Just  because you can't  see it doesn't make them wrong.

I'll just leave it at that.

It's not authentic parenting, it's sham parenting. Look the whole point of being a parent is to raise an adult.  To train a child in the way they should go in life, that includes teaching them to be good, kind, moral upstanding people. It includes teaching them to be self-reliant, independent, hard-working. It includes teaching them some hard lessons of life-b/c if they don't learn it from you they will learn it in the world.

By doing what you suggest you are training a child to be a victim in life. Teaching a child that half the country hates them isn't authentic parenting, it's horrible parenting. 1st off, a child has no concept of "half the country", they will reinterpret that into "half the people I met hate me". Is that really the lesson you want to teach and train your child, that at least half the people they met in life "hate them". That automatically without even knowing me half the people I met hate me?

You are ingraining hate, suspicion, and victim-hood into the child rather than Christlike love and independence. You are teaching a child to care more about what other people think about them rather than what they think about themselves and most importantly how God thinks of them.

All I've got to say is good luck with that.  I'm confident that at the end of the day, mine (if they make decent choices in life) will be much better prepared for life.